1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Notebook repair downtown Toronto?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by WestsideWax, Aug 18, 2010.

1. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

Like all proper material objects, my laptop, over time, is slowly desintegrating. Rather than allow HP to screw me in some place very uncomfortable ("why sure, I'd love to shell out $90 + taxes for an AC adapter, hyuk, hyuk, hyuk..."), I was hoping someone knew of a reputable downtown repair/parts depot that won't charge me more than what the unit is worth to ship-shape it up again. Nothing major, just getting increased flickering on the screen and want to replace the aforementioned adapter and the battery, which died a long, long time ago ("...I can still remember how that music used to make me smile...").

Bueller?

2. WestsideWax

No one? So I guess everyone just chucks their computers when they start to go?

3. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

I wish I could offer a suggestion, but since I do a lot of production work on my lappy the average life cycle of my machines are about 2 years. I either trade up or, in the case of my last MacBook Pro whose logic board got fried, end up being parts in my closet.

If your machine is old, it may very well be worth it to replace. Don't decent laptops start at like, 500 now? Why invest a hundred bones on a power adapter for an old laptop? If your screen is causing an issue as well, it might be time to put that baby out to pasture.

4. WestsideWax

Adapter can be had off amazon for about $30, and if it's just the inverter that's causing the screen flicker, that's a fairly inexpensive part to replace as well. I'd do it myself, but I have a middling track record when it comes to repairing home electronics.

If possible, I'd rather go with the option of salvaging a unit that's still largely functional and creating less landfill. That's just how I roll... ;)

5. deepfunkysoul

deepfunkysoul TRIBE Promoter

Sounds like the inverter and it probably will cost you a bill downtown. You might have better luck with the guys that do repairs on lappys that advertise on craigslist. I can't vouch for them but they are cheap.

Alternatively buy the inverter on ebay download the service manual from HP and follow the steps one by one and you'll be all right.

Hp's are pretty straightforward just be patient and layout the parts in the order you remove them.

6. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

try filtech

7. WestsideWax

Thanks for the recommendation, of course now dfs has convinced me to have a go at it myself. Less than $50 worth of parts and I've found some pretty comprehensive instructions online.

8. deepfunkysoul

deepfunkysoul TRIBE Promoter

Don't forget to wear a static wristband before you start. Better to be safe then sorry. Good luck.

9. WestsideWax

Next query - OEM vs. non-OEM batteries? Any sage wisdom on that front? I'm looking at mcvoltbattery.com - half the price of HP's cornholing seems very tempting, especially since RFD has a 15% off coupon on their site.