• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nose Spray Decongestant Problem

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
So around the time of New Year's eve I had a cold and bought some nose spray decongestant. The shit worked incredibly well, in fact i could breath better than I could normalyl sans cold.

So anyways, I guess I kinda just kept on using it whenever I felt my congestion coming back, like every 12-24 hours or so... And after about 3 weeks realized that I probably dont have a cold anymore...

But -now- if I stop using this spray, my nose is totally swollen shut. TRES ANNOYING. I have tried to wean myself off the nose spray, but eventually my will power breaks down and I snort either lemon scented or menthol to open up the passage. Sure, I feel great after, but I feel really guilty and can't help but think I am doing damage to myself and making things worse.

How long of a "quitting" period do I need to endure before my nose is naturally decongested?

-jM
A&D

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
yikes - yeah i had a sinus infection and my doctor game me nasal spray I used for like a day but then stopped because you can become really dependant on it... but you know that now - just bear with it and your nose should be okay in a week or so - I think

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

echootje

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Boss Hog
I knew a guy that was addicted to Dristan once. But this is more pathetic.

LOL!

I went through that saaaaame thing Jeffsus brother! back in the day those vicks inhalers. Maaaaaan, those were sweet.

:D

ROb

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
(I was just kidding. Front what I understand it has something to do with the blood vessels and swelling in your nose).

deep

TRIBE Member
it's a rebound effect resulting from the antiinflammatory / corticosteroids in the nasal spray

the body becomes reliant upon the effect of the corticosteroid , tissue compensates in inflammation

some (i.e. drixoral) have worse rebound effects than others

you could try taking some pseudoephedrine in the meantime (or any other non-steroidal decongestant)

as usual the solution for addiction is more (different) drugs

Last edited:

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
My bf used that shit for 7 fucking years!... He was so addicted to it. Until one day, when he knew that he had to give his nose a break, so he stopped using it. It was hard for the first week, but then one day after that, his nose just cleared up.

Use Saline nasal spray to keep moisturising the inside of your nose and make sure that you don't use that shit again, because you're back to square one.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeffsus
So around the time of New Year's eve I had a cold and bought some nose spray decongestant. The shit worked incredibly well, in fact i could breath better than I could normalyl sans cold.

So anyways, I guess I kinda just kept on using it whenever I felt my congestion coming back, like every 12-24 hours or so... And after about 3 weeks realized that I probably dont have a cold anymore...

But -now- if I stop using this spray, my nose is totally swollen shut. TRES ANNOYING. I have tried to wean myself off the nose spray, but eventually my will power breaks down and I snort either lemon scented or menthol to open up the passage. Sure, I feel great after, but I feel really guilty and can't help but think I am doing damage to myself and making things worse.

How long of a "quitting" period do I need to endure before my nose is naturally decongested?

-jM
A&D
DUDE! I had this SAME problem! I was addicted to Claritan nasal spray for over two years. I could NOT breath without it. It even says on the bottle symptoms will get worse if use longer then 2 weeks. I quit 3 months ago and I still get twinges..
Basically I had to ween myself off it. Use a perscription nasel spray instead and tryied to keep my finger out of my nose. other then just will power the worst went away after the first couple weeks.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jeffsus

-jM
A&D

i had the same little problem. :)

i went to my doctor and he gave me a prescription nasal spray to get rid of the problem. and yes, i thought "wtf? a nasal spray to rid me of my nasal spray addiction?" but alas...it worked miracles. and i am now a recovering nasal spray addict. it's been about 4 years.

my advice would be to go see your doctor.