• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Northern Lights right now

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sk8
i see.

well that's not far from my house.
if you're up there again c'mon by the farm.
not at 4:30am though....
No, come by MY farm. I breed Alpacas, 24hrs a day.

basilisk

TRIBE Member
Apparently its on right now but I can't see shit cuz of the cloud cover. Oh yeah, and light pollution.

spaceweather.com notes that the interplanetary magnetic field is turning, which may halt the storm shortly...

Currently there is still quite a bit of activity - see the chart at http://www.sec.noaa.gov/today.html

gasper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by phunkymunky
mastered? they're pretty grainy... no offence. i'm no pro. but i've taken much better low light images than that and i've only been takin photo's for just over a year.
When I said mastered I was referring mostly to OTIS' other shots. He's been filling this thread with really good night photography, foggy twilights, and others. Have a look at them in previous pages in this thread.

BTW, your criticism may have had more clout had you not used the flaws in his photos as an opportunity to give yourself kudos. Lame.

OTIS... I know that higher ISOs on film increase graininess significantly. On a digicam ISO is not "real" but a simulation of the process so I'm not certain if the same thing occurs on digital cameras. Have you tried to up your exposure time and decrease the ISO? Does your digicam have metering? Sometimes tweaking the f-stop and exposure time can allow for multiple instances of proper metering that will result in different levels of graininess. Since you're shooting lanscape essentially, you can probably use just about any f-stop and have good focus.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Yeah, mine does have real-time metering and upping the ISO on a digicam also does much to increase artifacts. At that exposure length, leaving it at ISO 100 wouldn't do anything to get rid of the noise. Digicams are, or at least mine is, fairly shitty that way -the upshot is knowing how to get rid of it in photoshop while keeping as much of the original photo as possible. Some cameras also have built in noise reduction that work well because they are tailored to their CCD's flaws.

But yeah.. I may shop for a new one soon.

Anyhow, here's a few more:

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Was just watching CBC news and it was mentioned tonight you should be able to see the Aurora Borealis tonight even in the city. As long as there is not too much light pollution in your area.

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
Did they happen to mention a time window? Every article I've read today says the same thing, but I haven't been able to find an optimal viewing time.

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
Think they mentioned on the news nightfall is a good time to start. However, I'm gonna scan the sky until midnight. I'm all excited because next week we are also treated for the annual Perseids meteor show. :cool:

nonlocal

TRIBE Member
GTA could see spectacular Northern Lights tonight - thestar.com

If we’re lucky, the sky Tuesday night will explode into a dazzling light show.

“We might see it straight overhead,” Dr. Ralph Chou, president of the Royal Astronomical Society of Canada Toronto centre told the Star Tuesday.

“We might end up with something quite spectacular. We’ve been waiting a long time for something like this to happen.”

etc.

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
Just back from my building's rooftop and saw nada. Didn't expect to seeing I'm smack downtown. :(

Wonder if the David Dunlap Observatory in Richmond Hall caught it? They had an aurora party tonight.

Last edited:

Deus

TRIBE Member
Just back from my building's rooftop and saw nada. Didn't expect to seeing I'm smack downtown. :(

Wonder if the David Dunlap Observatory in Richmond Hall caught it? They had an aurora party tonight.
You will not be able to see anything from the city. I'm in Edmonton where we have a bit less light pollution and brighter auroral displays and I have never seen anything from the city. We have to go out of town to see it. It's overcast today and I hope the clouds will disappear by the time darkness falls.

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
The lights are always a let down. I must see another spectacular AB show before I die. One of the most beautiful things ever.