• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Non-Teaching Jobs Overseas

Rocky

TRIBE Member
I am going to be looking for an engineering job overseas, possibly. What is the best way to do this? (In general. I am not really sure where I want to go.)

I knew a couple of American guys who didn't speak the native language and got hired in the US and were immediately sent overseas. A lot of people tell me this is the best way to do it, as opposed to going overseas first and finding a job.

Any suggestions? Where do I start?

littlestevee

TRIBE Member
Rocky said:
I am going to be looking for an engineering job overseas, possibly. What is the best way to do this? (In general. I am not really sure where I want to go.)

I knew a couple of American guys who didn't speak the native language and got hired in the US and were immediately sent overseas. A lot of people tell me this is the best way to do it, as opposed to going overseas first and finding a job.

Not sure if you're interested in Taiwan, but they are building a high speed railway here. Lots of Engineers from the states around. I guess you'd have to find out which companies got the contracts. Forumosa.com is a good place to ask about jobs in Taiwan.
There are also lots of Engineers here that work for airlines..

s1k

TRIBE Member
there are a few things to consider cause i went through all this...not for engineering but i was dying to get a co-op placement abroad.

1) You have to know the language, very few places will hire pll that don't speak the language, so obviouly the UK and Australia are good choices, but places like Geneva and Zurich you get away with it

2) Work visa, you need to get this. you can get a vocational permit for a few countries that allows u to work there for a limited time, this is a huge plus for many companies because them sponsoring is a hassle. Again UK is good because of common wealth it's very very easy to get a permit with out the job

3) The easiest way I found was to get a job at a big company here (for example, say I want to get a banking placement in Geneva, i go to UBS here and I work for them, UBS being one of the biggest swiss banks, they totally will be flexible in transfering you)

if you do a search for interships or work visa, there was a thread about this, someone from here went to the UK for civil eng if i recall.

hope it helps.

if i had an engineering degree, i'd do a masters or CFA...deadly deadly combo, pll will hire you really fast for a lot of money. you could do a free master somewhere in europe (or whereever overseas it is you want to go) so in the meantime, you get the degree but learn teh language and the culture and make the connections so you can get the job. who knows you mighte ven fall in love and get married, get ur passport and you won't need a work permit (yes i gave this a lot of thought....clearly)

Gfunkdiva

TRIBE Member
Anyone got any more tips/websites they can recommend for finding professional level work overseas? I'm thinking specifically Spain or Italy (yes, I speak the languages) and in communications, marketing or graphic design. Anyone got any contacts?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
Rocky said:

Are you in an engineer? What kind? How many years of experience?

You might want to consider contacting headhunters in the countries you're interested in. However, they probably won't be interested in you unless you have some experience already.

Rocky

TRIBE Member
littlestevee said:
Not sure if you're interested in Taiwan, but they are building a high speed railway here. Lots of Engineers from the states around. I guess you'd have to find out which companies got the contracts. Forumosa.com is a good place to ask about jobs in Taiwan.
There are also lots of Engineers here that work for airlines..
Ha...just saw this today. I am in Taipei. Been here off and on for the past 5 years. Guess you didn't check my location.

I just rode the HSR earlier this week for the first time. Went down to Kaoshiung and then rode scooter down to Kenting.

Rocky

TRIBE Member
coleridge said:
Are you in an engineer? What kind? How many years of experience?

You might want to consider contacting headhunters in the countries you're interested in. However, they probably won't be interested in you unless you have some experience already.
I have my engineering ring, but I am not yet an engineer (electrical). Just got my ring last fall. Only work experience I have was back in college during co-op work term.

I'm probably going to look for something in Asia, or maybe Europe. Studied Chinese for the past 6 months, but I still have a lot of work to do to be able to really use the language.

I'm heading home to Canada for the summer to figure things out. Need to get away from here. Too easy to remain at my easy job teaching English, and I really don't want to do that anymore.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

starr

TRIBE Member
s1k said:
if i had an engineering degree, i'd do a masters or CFA...deadly deadly combo, pll will hire you really fast for a lot of money. you could do a free master somewhere in europe (or whereever overseas it is you want to go) so in the meantime, you get the degree but learn teh language and the culture and make the connections so you can get the job.
How can you do your masters in engineering for free overseas? Is it easy to get grants, if so which one(s) and is it too late to apply for them?

Rocky

TRIBE Member
^ yeah, I'd also do it for free. I am completely sick of engineering (studying), so I don't want to have to pay but I'd do it for free if I could.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

jus me

TRIBE Member
starr said:
How can you do your masters in engineering for free overseas? Is it easy to get grants, if so which one(s) and is it too late to apply for them?
You can apply for a 'free mover' status (undergraduate degree) in Sweden and study for free if you accepted into the program. Only a limited amount of students are let in every year.

You can also apply for a masters degree at Swedish university. But deadlines vary by insititute.

They need proof of your academic qualification and your language skills. A lot of programs are taught solely in English...or Swenglish. :p

Most post secondary education for residents (and foreigners) are subsidized by the government, so all you need is money for accomodation, food, transportation and books. Prices aren't that bad!

Study in Sweden

It's only for those who can take the cold weather and lack of sunlight. ;)

starr

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the info. I'm looking more at things in Europe "proper" and was more hoping for grants available in England. But again, thanks for the post :)

jus me

TRIBE Member
Sweden is in Europe!!!

England is not really a part of Europe. It's an island! lol :D At least that's how some of the Europeans see it.

wayne bradbury

TRIBE Member
Australia needs lots of engineers.
Queensland is having a major boom. In Brisbane they are undergoing a tunnel construction to route traffic under the city. That is going to take years. Plus tons of shit is being constructed. Salaries are quite a bit higher there compared to Toronto.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories