• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nobody's Fool, Beautiful Girls, Wonder Boys...

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
So these are 3 of my fav films of all time..what is it???? the small town each film is based in (I grew up in Newmarket) the snow (all 3 movies are in the winter) whatever it is these are those films for me that I can watch over and over cause just watching them puts me in a good place. I like being in that world...maybe it is the quirky characters...whatever. For those of you that haven't seen Nobody's Fool get it, it has Paul Newman, Jessica Tandy in her last film and Bruce Willis..one of those slices of life films that just resonates with ya long after the film is over...and for those of you that know what I am talking about above with these 3 films can you suggest anymore in a similar vein? anyone....

what a weird post...I know.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
kuba said:
have you found a place yet! :p
NOOOOOOOO you guys? I am going to look at like 5 places on tuesday...so hard to find something good in this city, and I am upping my $$ having a tough time...

Maui

TRIBE Member
I have not seen Nobody's fool, but I'm gonna check it out. I so know what you mean about the other two though. I like movies with eccentric characters and realistic scenarios. And If they are in a small town there is always at least one scene that is analogous to my hometown and makes me laugh.

I'd recommend Trees Lounge. It's a Steve Buscemi flick, written and directed by him. Story of a bunch of small town folks trying to figure stuff out. No snow in this one though. hah!

I also liked The Ice Storm by Ang Lee.
That was cool cause I lived through the ice storm in Kingston in 97, ironically the same year this movie was released. I then caught this movie unexpectedly on tv in my small northern town in the winter during another storm late at night.

If I think of any others I'll let ya know.

bombthreat23

TRIBE Member
Maui said:
I have not seen Nobody's fool, but I'm gonna check it out. I so know what you mean about the other two though. I like movies with eccentric characters and realistic scenarios. And If they are in a small town there is always at least one scene that is analogous to my hometown and makes me laugh.

I'd recommend Trees Lounge. It's a Steve Buscemi flick, written and directed by him. Story of a bunch of small town folks trying to figure stuff out. No snow in this one though. hah!

I also liked The Ice Storm by Ang Lee.
That was cool cause I lived through the ice storm in Kingston in 97, ironically the same year this movie was released. I then caught this movie unexpectedly on tv in my small northern town in the winter during another storm late at night.

If I think of any others I'll let ya know.
I see that you know EXACTLY what I am talking about, I LOVED Trees Lounge and the Ice Storm...I never thought of them in this vein before but you are so right, do yourself a favour and pick up Nobody's Fool, it is the best of the bunch, Time Magazine said it was the only great film made in the 90's....Newman was nominated for an oscar in this....

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

rhyss

TRIBE Member
Coming for a small town too (Orillia) I never put two and two together when it came to these "snow" movies.

I love Wonder Boys (highly under rated) and could watch Grumpy old Men everyday and not laugh at it. However, for snowy horror films I like Jack Frost (not the Michael Keaton one although the snowmen look eerily similar). I think they spent more on the jacket them on the fake snow on the trees.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116671/

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
bombthreat23 said:
jack frost...lol I actually liked that movie, it was way better than it should have been.
It's really best to watch the horror version and the keaton version back to back while on shrooms. You seriously can't tell where one ends and the other begins -- the plot is EXACTLY THE SAME.

kmac

TRIBE Member
Nevermind the fact that it had the coolest VHS holographic box cover.

Nice snowman, evil snowman, nice snowman, evil snowman...

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
kmac said:
Nevermind the fact that it had the coolest VHS holographic box cover.

Nice snowman, evil snowman, nice snowman, evil snowman...
Hahaa....forgot about that. I guess EVERYTHING about this movie is better on shrooms.

Maui

TRIBE Member
terrawrist III said:
if you feel like tearing up a bit go for egoyan's the sweet hereafter...another one full of wintery sadness
I have been an Egoyan fan since day one, and yes this is one serious drama. Sad.

Grumpy old men I can never get sick of.

I haven't seen Jack Frost, I'm gonna check that out. Maybe on zoomies if you say so! :D

I don't know how we came to Mean Girls, lol, but yeah that was probably the best comedy I saw that year, loved it.

And I don't know why I'm throwing this in here, but a flick I thought was underated and caught me was Marvins Room, with Leonardo DiCaprio.

p.s. That is crazy I missed the boat on Nobodys fool.