• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nobody Cares...

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

praktik

TRIBE Member
Buttergate = mostly bullshit

But i learned a lot from these resources, this page had a good writeup I can't link publicly so will do some copypasta:
"Butter and Palm Fat! I was hoping to get something posted on this before I started to get DM's about this but you all beat me to it. Buckle up, it's a long post......​
Let’s start off by clearing up, this is not a scandal! Palm fat is not a black market, or illegal thing that Canadian dairy farmers are secretly putting in milk. Palm fat (like all livestock feed ingredients used) is an approved/licsenced feed ingredient for livestock including dairy cattle. It’s use is not exclusive to Canada. It’s used in MANY countries in dairy cow rations including the US and New Zealand. Its use is not new, it has been used for many, many years already and there is a great deal of research into its use in terms of health of the animal and it’s impacts on milk. Palmitic acid, which is the fatty acid that we find in palm fat, is always present in milk, whether palm fat is fed or not, because it is naturally produced by the cow’s body and is one of the many fatty acids that is naturally occurring in milk. The fatty acid profile in milk is not static, it changes naturally all the time. Some things that affect the fatty acid profile in milk include nutrition, age of the cow, the stage of lactation and different environmental factors. The milk that a heifer gives in comparison to a cow is not the same. The milk that an individual cow gives at the start of her lactation as opposed to the end of it, is not the same. When we run out of last year’s corn silage, and start into the new crop of corn silage, the milk composition on farm will change. When cows are under stress, say from the effects of a long hot spell in the summer time, the fatty acid composition of milk changes. So you get the point, many different factors regularly and naturally change the composition of milk. When we look at feed ingredients for dairy cattle, it is always a part of the study on if and how that ingredient may impact the profile of milk. Palm fat is a desirable ingredient from a milk standpoint because it is providing a fatty acid that is already naturally found in milk because the cow produces it herself as well.​
Since cows are ruminants, when we are feeding them, we are feeding them in two ways, directly and indirectly. We feed her indirectly through supplying feeds that are broken down by the microbes in the rumen (feeds that the microbes digest and the cow utilizes nutrients that are a byproduct of that microbial breakdown) and we feed her directly through feeds that bypass digestion by the rumen microbes and are available for the cow to digest herself directly, later in the digestive system. The field of dairy nutrition is complex and fascinating because of this dynamic. We are always balancing out feeds that are rumen degradable and feeds that will bypass the rumen, both are very important. Palm fat, unlike some of the other plant fat sources that the cow is fed, is a rumen bypass fat. It is digested by the cow directly. As a result it gives her a direct source of energy which translates into an efficient increase in the butterfat in her milk through an increase in the palmitic fatty acids. She also can use that energy towards other body functions like reproduction and general health. So, besides the butterfat increase in the milk, there can also be cow health benefits seen when we give her a source of rumen bypass fat, like palm fat. Not all farmers feed palm fat and the ones that do often only feed it at certain times of the year, usually in the summer months when cows are being impacted by heat stress and butterfat levels in milk naturally drop due to this stress. The inclusion rate when it is fed is typically fairly low. When we have included it in our rations it has made up 0.4% of the total ration as fed (about 0.8% on a dry matter basis – so less than 1% of everything that she eats in a day). In terms of ingredients, palm fat is a very expensive feed ingredient to add, which limits it’s use.​
When it comes to environmental impacts, we know there are environmental impacts on how palm is harvested (there are better and worse practices). Palm oil is harvested for use as a vegetable oil for human consumption and is commonly found in many human foods and products. We all consume it regularly because it’s in around 50% of all packaged foods. Some of the palm fat that is fed to livestock is actually a byproduct of the palm oil industry (which is a good thing because it’s making use of a waste product of the human food industry) but, much of it is also directly harvested for use as palm fat. When it comes to cattle we have to weigh out the environmental pros and cons that come with it because it actually helps the cow be more efficient. When it is fed we see a very efficient increase in butterfat that the cow produces. Butterfat is what processors need in milk in order to produce all the great dairy products we love. In Canada, farmers can’t just ship all the milk they want, we can only ship within the quota we have purchased and the butterfat in the milk we ship helps to fill that quota. So if we can fill our quota with less cows that are more efficient (less cows producing the same amount of butterfat), that has positive environmental impacts. So the positives and negatives need to be weighed and like with all environmental things, it is far from black and white. We know that overall, more efficient livestock has positive environmental impacts.​
So why is this all in the news right now? The professor who has brought this topic to the media these last couple of weeks is a long time critic of Canada’s dairy industry. He did a Twitter poll asking if people think their butter is harder in recent months. Less than 300 people responded and just over half said yes while the other half said no. From there he suggested that IF butter is harder then palm fat COULD be to blame. There’s no solid science to say butter actually is harder and IF it is the reason is not known. Palm fat (which has actually been fed for many years, but professor notes the change to butter only in the last few months) could be one possible reason, but like I mentioned above, there are many things that impact the fatty acid profile of milk and also there could be processing factors that could also be at play. At this point they aren’t sure if butter even is harder. Most people do notice harder butter in the winter just due to their houses being colder. You can bet the industry is looking into this to determine if butter is in fact harder and IF it is, what the causes might be. I’m sure there will be more information coming but, thankfully, it will be based on science, not on a Twitter poll.​
Some other points that are worthy of mentioning:​
1. The diet our cows eat, whether they include palm fat or not, are mostly made up of on farm and domestically grown feed stuffs. For example, on a dry matter basis, our cow ration is 80% composed of feeds that we grow right here on our farm. The supplemental protein sources we include (canola and soybean meal) and many of the ingredients in our robot pellet, are also domestically produced. That’s a very local diet!​
2. What livestock are fed is not a secret. Any feed that is fed to dairy cattle has to be approved by the Canadian Food Inspection Agency before it can be used.​
3. YOU are our ONLY customers!!! Milk and dairy products in Canada are sold in CANADA. That means that you are our only market and what you want matters! The industry is always listening to and adjusting to consumer demands and interested in consumer perception. Let’s try our best to make sure perceptions are based on facts and not sensationalized news stories or social media polls.​
4. I am including a really great link in the comments from a scientist whose field of research is in this area. Please, please take the time to listen when you have a moment. It’s truly fascinating!​
May be an image of animal "​
This video was great:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Managed two minor miracles doing online shopping last week - landed a PS5 and a pair of Adidas sneakers I've been searching for for over 25 years.

Grails, son.

Sweet score. I've got a weird computer problem and it's not messing wiht my day to day, just anytime im running things intensely, say 30-50%+ CPU, not even most games get there - thing will reboot outta nowhere.

Been through all the easy red flags and none apparent -can only surmise when power draw is highest some component is failing between CPU/MOBO, both of which are like, 8+ years old now, or PSU.

I have a fresh PSU but been busy and havent swapped - looking at computer gear is tough now. Trump tariffs and high demand from mining mean all the best shit is super hard to get, and above MSRP when you do.

IM deciding to wait it out, which sucks, i finally got this elaborate streaming server setup and was able to "catch" other people with a laptop linux server and replay to my main comp doing the oBS broadcast -> with my main PC in the chain reboots are outta nowhere and anytime.

But fuck using it week over week is fine. So hard pressed to spend a boatload now on either sub-par Intel gear or too high prices for AMD CPUs. Plus the perfect motherboard for me in right size with Thunderbolt 4 aint out yet - so I wait til 2nd half this year I think to jump in!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Worked 8 straight hours finishing a silver grinder for a client in South Carolina. Filing and sanding complete, now to move onto the finer polishing.

Sweet score. I've got a weird computer problem and it's not messing wiht my day to day, just anytime im running things intensely, say 30-50%+ CPU, not even most games get there - thing will reboot outta nowhere.

Been through all the easy red flags and none apparent -can only surmise when power draw is highest some component is failing between CPU/MOBO, both of which are like, 8+ years old now, or PSU.

I have a fresh PSU but been busy and havent swapped - looking at computer gear is tough now. Trump tariffs and high demand from mining mean all the best shit is super hard to get, and above MSRP when you do.

IM deciding to wait it out, which sucks, i finally got this elaborate streaming server setup and was able to "catch" other people with a laptop linux server and replay to my main comp doing the oBS broadcast -> with my main PC in the chain reboots are outta nowhere and anytime.

But fuck using it week over week is fine. So hard pressed to spend a boatload now on either sub-par Intel gear or too high prices for AMD CPUs. Plus the perfect motherboard for me in right size with Thunderbolt 4 aint out yet - so I wait til 2nd half this year I think to jump in!
Hard drives are about to get on the scarcity list soon, as Sony is about to open up their data storage capabilities in May. Very specific, very high quality drive is required. The PS5 has just under a 1TB drive (which is nothing - Call of Duty is nearly 200 gigs alone) - so a hard drive swap is a must. It's fucking irritating and disgusting how the resellers have gotten in on the market for CPU parts

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
was just outside for a smoke and saw a plane fly overhead. it was surprising and somehow strange...what a weird world we live in right now.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Anyone else here got crypto? I’m up 200% over 3 weeks by setting limits. Doge has been amazing. Stellar (XLM) is also growing. I got in late but have still tripled my profits. It can happen while you sleep. Then again, you could everything, with the short play. PM me if you’re interested in a link that offers bonus $.

Oh yeah... It’s also super fun, as long as you only put in what you can afford to lose