• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nobody Cares...

wickedken

TRIBE Member
what is a friend???? this is actually Nobody Cares. i dare say friends are either solid or way down for most people here, and those that are solid are like family. otherwise its nobody cares.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
i dare say

honestly, I have a handful of good trustworthy friends. more than that is a waste ;) :p. Our circle of friends is so huge though, I wish I could be closer with a lot more of them. It sucks in a way - to be surrounded by a lot of awesome people and only really get to know a few on a very personal level.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Well, yesterday morning, 8 AM, in an alley just off rue Jeanne Mance here in Mtl, someone did a massive Vinyl LP garbage dump. We're talking 6 recycling bags full of this stuff. Of course I stop and check, and hey, wait a sec, there's some great stuff here. Pretty much every album from The Clash/Elvis Costello/Roxy Music/Fleetwood Mac.... + a ton of jazz stuff from Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans, Count Basie.... I collected as much as I could physically carry (which btw, is around 200 lbs, apparently, it was like carting a fridge home on yer bike).

Anyways, spent the past few days casually flipping it. Made 200$ going on 300$ so far.

Not bad for 1/2 hour of seriously heavy lifting following by casual selling.

..... seriously tho' that was the most whacked vinyl dump I've ever stumbled upon. I had to leave at least 2/3rds behind because it was physically impossible to carry. And it was all good shit.

Always so weird, that.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
yup.. just did another round of flipping that Vinyl

another 164$ (+ 55$ + 128$) = 347$ thus far.

And I still have a shit-ton to sell, tomorrow!

I realize seeing these pauvre people rummaging through your trash is an unpleasant and uncomfortable sight, but hey, guess what? sometimes, per hour, they're making more money than you are.

(This is turning out to be a 150$/hr gig, this vinyl here).

And yes, it looks like I may get stuck with some of those Roxy Music and Police albums. Poor me.
:rolleyes:

Btw I be having a real fun day :)

squidly

TRIBE Member
Well, yesterday morning, 8 AM, in an alley just off rue Jeanne Mance here in Mtl, someone did a massive Vinyl LP garbage dump. We're talking 6 recycling bags full of this stuff. Of course I stop and check, and hey, wait a sec, there's some great stuff here. Pretty much every album from The Clash/Elvis Costello/Roxy Music/Fleetwood Mac.... + a ton of jazz stuff from Thelonious Monk, Bill Evans, Count Basie.... I collected as much as I could physically carry (which btw, is around 200 lbs, apparently, it was like carting a fridge home on yer bike).

Anyways, spent the past few days casually flipping it. Made 200$ going on 300$ so far.

Not bad for 1/2 hour of seriously heavy lifting following by casual selling.

..... seriously tho' that was the most whacked vinyl dump I've ever stumbled upon. I had to leave at least 2/3rds behind because it was physically impossible to carry. And it was all good shit.

Always so weird, that.
some two-timin POS got his vinyl tossed while at work/out of town for sure

djfear

TRIBE Member
Polymorph, you also find the text books right?

You should start your own MTL Finds thread and there should be a total $$$ through each year at the top.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Polymorph, you also find the text books right?

You should start your own MTL Finds thread and there should be a total $$$ through each year at the top.
Thought about that. Of course I want to blog my Finds.

However, I don't want to alert others to the possibilities.....

btw, from my textbook hauls this year, I made a whopping 2324$ during the month of May (a record breaker!)
another 1675$ during the month of June

July was a relatively lame 1235$

August, so far, will be gangbusters...

I know exactly what I make, cuz I write it down every day/week.

Don't want to blog/gloat..... cuz I don't want others giving me competition.

Cheers

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Thought about that. Of course I want to blog my Finds.

However, I don't want to alert others to the possibilities.....

btw, from my textbook hauls this year, I made a whopping 2324$ during the month of May (a record breaker!)
another 1675$ during the month of June

July was a relatively lame 1235$

August, so far, will be gangbusters...

I know exactly what I make, cuz I write it down every day/week.

Don't want to blog/gloat..... cuz I don't want others giving me competition.

Cheers

That's awesome. Do you have a day job as well or are you a student?

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
That's awesome. Do you have a day job as well or are you a student?
er, yeah, my more *real* job is I do (online) research company involving statistical analysis into the Arts in Canada.

My more recent assignment was discerning the Creative Economy Culture in Sarnia, Ontario, of all places.
Yeah, I know, *chemical valley, but whatevs, the regional government there is pretty bent on *rebranding*.
And, as a researcher, I pretty much know absolutely everything there is to know about the *creative economy* in Sarnia, Ontario. (and got a file full of links to prove it).

Okdokey.. my same employer there now asked me to do some followup research, between the dates of August 24- Sept 11, 2015. And I had to say.....
No Can Do. These 2-3 weeks are my final summer blowout of textbook hunting, and I expect to make at least 1500$ from this (+ extras).

Yeah, it's kinda fucked up. But hey, I made over 500$ from *recycling* over the past two days. And I like it.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Good on ya. See, a little time and effort is all it takes.

Lesson here for a lot of the younger generation who complain about not being able to get a job.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Good on ya. See, a little time and effort is all it takes.

Lesson here for a lot of the younger generation who complain about not being able to get a job.
awww.... see, my complaint and sympathie with the *younger generation* is that, what, they're now fighting for a 15$ minimum wage? At some shit-idiot job. THe rest of them, more educated, in fact, are doing all these *unpaid Internship* jobs. I mean. WTF. Hello kids. NEVER WORK FOR FREE!

yeah okdokey I am well aware of the cynical socioeconomic Irony of what I do. I source their discarded textbook/vinyl trash, and casually make 10 X more per hour than they do.

I only blog this here cuz it's TO, not Mtl. I want no more local mtl competition. It's a nice gig I have here.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

djfear

TRIBE Member
I think it's freakin' awesome that you can make that. I know that some people on here make a butt load of dough but it's great to make a couple hundred bucks just by going for a nice walk on tree-lined residential streets and then swinging by the local bookstore.

It's sort of like driving around high end neighbourhoods and seeing the 'trash' furniture that is thrown out, except this is way easier.

I imagine it also reinforces your own personal lifestyle in trying to recycle more and reusing certain things.

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
Yeah I'm into recycling/refurbishing. All my nice furniture here is some articles that I sourced from the trash and took a palm sander and stain to it. (like this awesome, unique desk I'm typing on). I thought of getting into the high-end furniture refurbishing business (there's a place in TO that's making awesome, gorgeous shit). But anyways, probably not.

Anyways, after doing my final round of Vinyl selling, my official total is 440$ from that, for maybe 4-5 hours work/time investment. And along with the book stock I flipped at McGill this past Thursday, I've officially made around 620$ this past week. Not bad for not even 10 hours work.

Anyways, I just bought myself a new Alessis usb midi keyboard controller.
Fuck y'all

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
btw I should note that I don't just source these valuable student textbooks from the street. There are several second-hand stores that often put them in their discount bins, especially if there's highlighter in them. So, that's the other basic economics 101 praxis : Buy low, sell high. And while it's fun to double your money, making 5x your investment is so much better.

But this year, by far, the most whacked textbook proclivity I've had this year is when I walk into the McGill Bookstore itself. Because next to the buyback booth is some big recycling-donation bins, where students often (as in, always), toss the books they brought in that have no current buyback price....

Thing is, these books don't have a buyback price all the time. Books that are required for the Fall semester will not necessarily be buybacks in January, or even May. However, come close to the Fall semester, like right now, BAM!

It's great that Dan, the buyback guy at McGill, is so chill about letting me raid that bin. Oh, but I always make a point to donate books every week (apparently, they go to charity somewhere). Anyways, yup, every week, I raid it, right there in the McGill Bookstore. And this proclivity has been paying off, big time. Like this past week. One book I had in my wait&see pile since 3 months allthesudden popped up as a buyback for 86.75$. And another book popped up as 23.25$. So, that's 120$ in stock, just lying around, waiting to happen. PS: I have over 300 books in my wait & see pile. Just money waiting to happen.

But that's not the most fucked up thing here. Fact is, McGill only does buybacks on Thursdays, and apparently, during the week, some students will come in and just casually *donate* their books, cuz they don't give a shit or something. And guess what? Several of these books have a current buyback price, ranging anywhere from 2.25$ to 76$ (!). I mean, around a month ago, I sourced 2 books from the McGill book recycling bin which each had a buyback price of 76$ each (!), which I then made there, right on the spot.

That's like getting paid 150$ cash bonus just for showing up for work.

I like it.