• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nobody Cares...

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
I didnt know they had penguins in south africa.
alex can you take pics of the penguins pls.
penguins are pretty radical looking.

deveator

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know where I can buy trendy designer print gift wrapping paper downtown? I have some frames that I would like to set it in to create some cheap art decor in my den.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
I still need to see that. My favorite films to read are Battle Royale and Let The Right One In. and Pan's Labyrinth, obv :)

City Of God (2002) was pretty badass too. I think I should watch that again soon.

edit...re: subtitled movies

agreed. As well as Y Tu mama Tombien (2001).

^ good call. (edit: both of those)
Also Open Your Eyes, but it needed more penelope cruz and less everything else

re: subtitled films - Goodbye Lenin! One of my favourite films.

Respect due, these are all fucking great movies!

Add to that:
Det Sjunde Inseglet (The Seventh Seal or in fact any movie by Ingmar Bergman)
Ran, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Rashomon, The seven samurai, The hidden Fortress, Ikiru(If you haven't seen all of these, do yourself a favour, legendary!)
Onibaba
Hana-bi (with Beat Takeshi, gym instructor in battle royale, japanese legend comedian)
Amores perros
Les Amants du Pont-Neuf (feat. weird guy from UNKLE 'rabbit in...' video)
Man bites dog
Until the end of the world
Wings of desire (and the sequel)
The three colours trilogy
The decalogue

Gaaaad, so many more amazing international movies, I could go on all day but I won't.

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
Does anyone know where I can buy trendy designer print gift wrapping paper downtown? I have some frames that I would like to set it in to create some cheap art decor in my den.

There's a japanese paper store on queen, some amazing hand-made papers there. Obviously pricier than average gift-wrap but mostly beautiful and unique patterning.

The Paper place at 887 Queen Street West.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
I know youtube has it's own thread, but this is pretty cool for the masses of the NC thread.

[YOUTUBE]y0qZYqdsYAg[/YOUTUBE]

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Respect due, these are all fucking great movies!

Add to that:
Det Sjunde Inseglet (The Seventh Seal or in fact any movie by Ingmar Bergman)
Ran, Yojimbo, Throne of Blood, Rashomon, The seven samurai, The hidden Fortress, Ikiru(If you haven't seen all of these, do yourself a favour, legendary!)
Onibaba
Hana-bi (with Beat Takeshi, gym instructor in battle royale, japanese legend comedian)
Amores perros
Les Amants du Pont-Neuf (feat. weird guy from UNKLE 'rabbit in...' video)
Man bites dog
Until the end of the world
Wings of desire (and the sequel)
The three colours trilogy
The decalogue

Gaaaad, so many more amazing international movies, I could go on all day but I won't.

Adding to the list:

MicMacs
Julia's Eyes (on netflix fyi)
Sexy Killer
Love me if you dare

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
Adding to the list:

MicMacs
Julia's Eyes (on netflix fyi)
Sexy Killer
Love me if you dare

All great calls!

Can't go wrong with Jeunet et Caro movies too (I'll pretend Alien resurrection doesn't exist) so add:
Delicatessen
City of Lost Children

oh and with the amazing Audrey Tautou (love her)
À la folie... pas du tout

^The above is one you should not read about, they can't describe it without giving huge spoilers/foreshadowing so best to avoid reading even the back cover and watch it straight, no rocks. Brilliance!

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
oh and fuck how could I forget two of the best Depardieu vehicles ever:

Jean de Florette and the sequel Manon des sources.
^tissues required for both of these.

and the 90s (I think) TV mini-series of Le Comte De Monte Cristo. Lavish production, amazingly scripted, cast and performed by some of France's best.

erika

TRIBE Member
Subtitles are ALWAYS better; so if you like films in a language you don't speak, that's how you have to see them. No biggie.
If you haven't seen Soul Kitchen, it was somewhat under the radar, I recommend it - highly.

In other news, overweight beer-drinking white guys who go to a foreign place just to sport fish are NOT the kind of people I want to be anywhere near.

Hawk Eye

TRIBE Member
Agreed, unless it's a Kung Fu movie. Then the bad dub enhances the experience :p

I think I'll watch a Kung Fu movie after City Of God.

My first foreign film that i watched was DRUNKEN MASTER. I was in High School and did not want to watch it subtitled bc i was like Dirty Girl and felt it was too much work to read a movie. So we dubbed it.. haha it was awesome and so very very funny. Only movie i've ever watched dubbed.. :D

mitsuko souma

TRIBE Member
My first foreign film that i watched was DRUNKEN MASTER. I was in High School and did not want to watch it subtitled bc i was like Dirty Girl and felt it was too much work to read a movie. So we dubbed it.. haha it was awesome and so very very funny. Only movie i've ever watched dubbed.. :D
do you still have a copy? I would actually watch that

workdowntown

TRIBE Member
My favourite dub-over is in 'Shogun Assassin'. Even if you've never seen it, you'll know it as the samples in Wu-Tang's 'liquid swords'.

Best line ever is during the fight with the 3 masters of death.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
oh and fuck how could I forget two of the best Depardieu vehicles ever:

Jean de Florette and the sequel Manon des sources.
^tissues required for both of these.

< 3
I still have these on VHS :eek: (Although I doubt they'd still work as I've had them for so long). To be fair, I didn't need to read the subtitles as I speak French. Much like most here though, I prefer subtitles to a movie that is dubbed.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
slon.gif