• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nobody Cares...

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
I like the idea of Autoshare/Zip Cars, but the problem is they aren't cost effective if you're leaving the city, which i do quite often. Right now i'm renting cars which in the long run doesn't make sense.

When I lived in the city I used Autoshare exclusively for out of town trips. Driving in the city is dumb. I have a bike.

It's like $80/24h with 150kms included. 10¢ per km after that. That's 150kms/day, so if you take it out for a three day weekend, you can go 450kms before you have to pay extra.

Insurance alone on your own car is going to be at least 200/month. plus gas. plus insurance. plus maintenance. plus licensing. plus repairs. plus parking. plus plus plus.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

peko

TRIBE Member
Oh i thought you meant smash it up on purpose. Well at the very least he's a very careful driver. And he's a man - he'd pay for any damages he caused. He wouldn't let me pay.

I have a lot of movies to watch. I think i'll do that tomorrow.

You can still be a careful driver and be involved in an accident. ;) as for " he's a man".... What does gender have to do with paying for damages? :rolleyes:

Why not use Autoshare when you need to and save up for your own car as an independent woman?

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
just made the best sandwich i've made in a long time. delicious grainy bread (toasted) with grainy mustard, ham, tomato and avocado. i wish it was 20 minutes ago, so i could just be sitting down to enjoy my sandwich.

octo

TRIBE Member
LOL, if you ever met my friend, you'd know he would never be capable of that. There aren't many people I trust in this world, but he's absolutely number one on the list. Easily the best person I've ever met. :)

Oh i thought you meant smash it up on purpose. Well at the very least he's a very careful driver. And he's a man - he'd pay for any damages he caused. He wouldn't let me pay.

you can't be serious. going halfsies on a car with your best guy friend is the worst idea ever.

unless he's gay, the guy is probably secretly in love with you. he probably thinks owning a car with you is one step closer to getting in your pants.

please don't do it. i've been that guy before. it's unhealthy and can ruin a friendship.

kirstenmeows

TRIBE Member
BB, if you value your friendship that highly, do NOT go through with this 'buying a car' scheme. Money and friendship are a deadly divide and not worth the risk. You say you don't need a car fulltime, so yes autoshare and zipcar are the way to go. Peko said it best, "Why not use Autoshare when you need to and save up for your own car as an independent woman?"

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

skyparty

TRIBE Member
do not go halfsies on a car with anyone, but your spouse (or common law life partner) when you are a done deal (taxes filed together etc) and everything is "half" on paper no matter what. You're asking for a big financial fight! and what's the #1 reason for divorce? financials- and yes, that includes best friends.

may i suggest looking into a baseline kia! we did, and with payments, (including insurance) are paying around $350 a month. that's with my bicycle ticket sitting on my insurance record ( i know, i know! it pains me to think about it). brand new car, brand new warranty, great on gas, and it's your own!

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
skyparty, you'd be amazed how much more the insurance is in Toronto. It should pain you to think about it! You gave up your bike for a car!

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
holy fuck, can I just deal with a phone call without my boss butting in every fucking time. who was that, what did they want, was that about this, was that about that, well maybe you should do it this way, maybe you should say that. like get off my fucking back already jesus. every fucking time, its so tiring. you hear half of a conversation, how can comment on half of a conversation. like get someone else to answer the fucking phone if you think everything I say on it is wrong. ffs.
well I WAS in a good mood.

Last edited:

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
had a great company xmas dinner last night at Nota Bene downtown toronto.. that is, until I puked it all up at 3am. cross contamination ftl

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the advice, peeps. I can see a lot of you bring experience into your advice and it's something i will definitely keep in mind. It's not like this was a serious idea anyway, just an idea we were throwing around.

When I lived in the city I used Autoshare exclusively for out of town trips. Driving in the city is dumb. I have a bike.

It's like $80/24h with 150kms included. 10¢ per km after that. That's 150kms/day, so if you take it out for a three day weekend, you can go 450kms before you have to pay extra.

Insurance alone on your own car is going to be at least 200/month. plus gas. plus insurance. plus maintenance. plus licensing. plus repairs. plus parking. plus plus plus.

Dude i gotta tell you, you're SERIOUSLY being ripped off with that price. I just rented a car for 3 days and paid $30/day with unlimited kms. (And i usually travel over 600 kms when i do rent a car to get away for the weekend). I understand your point that buying my own car would be expensive with insurance, but i don't want to have to rent for the rest of my life. I just can't afford it on my own right now and thought since he'd like to drive occassionally too it would be a good deal.

You can still be a careful driver and be involved in an accident. ;) as for " he's a man".... What does gender have to do with paying for damages? :rolleyes:

Why not use Autoshare when you need to and save up for your own car as an independent woman?

The "man" part was that he wouldn't be a coward and run away from paying any damages if he caused them. That he would be a man about it. Why would it matter about his gender - i'm not sure why you even thought that.

As for the independent woman comment, that's what i am. I've been renting cars on my own for 7 or 8 years now. I'm just tired of it and would like to have a car of my own (or to share). I just don't use one enough to warrant getting one on my own (and the cost is high for me). Again, it was just a thought.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
Dude i gotta tell you, you're SERIOUSLY being ripped off with that price. I just rented a car for 3 days and paid $30/day with unlimited kms. (And i usually travel over 600 kms when i do rent a car to get away for the weekend). I understand your point that buying my own car would be expensive with insurance, but i don't want to have to rent for the rest of my life. I just can't afford it on my own right now and thought since he'd like to drive occassionally too it would be a good deal.

yes, I agree. I read that too and went WTF! I used to rent a car for the whole weekend with unlimited kms for like 100 bucks (including insurance).

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
well I imagine at around 2-3pm, you are gonna get real tired, you know, cause you were up at 3am puking half the night. milk that shit muffin, milk it.

Beer babe

TRIBE Member
LOL, so apparently there's no leaf game tonight even though my girlfriend said she got tix to a box? Can't wait to see what she has to say about this one. :p

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
I decided not to renew my work contract and go on my own as of March 2012.

It's like bungee jumping... just jump and trust you will be ok. :)

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
when I first saw that trailer, I thought it was marky mark in that movie.
then I later realized it was matt damon.
at which point I pondered how matt damon and scarlett johansson (who I hate) have sunk so low.
even worse, everytime that commercial comes on my mum tells me how she wants to see it, cause she loves matt damon.

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
going halfsies on a car with your best guy friend is the worst idea ever.
a little late to the conversation, but yeah, what a bad idea.

what happens when both of you need it at once? rock paper scissor?
what happens if he gets in a relationship and things go long term. now his girl will want to drive the car and who knows what will happen then between yours and his relationship.
what happens when the car is damaged but no one knows how or when? who pays the bill?
I could probably come up with a few awkward situations but I'll just agree with what has been said... even with it being more expensive when you need it for more than 24 hours, Zipcar / Autoshare will be much cheaper in the end when the year is done, and much less headaches down the road then trying to actually share an owned car with someone else other than your significant other.

honestly if my car wasn't paid off already when I moved to downtown Toronto I would've made the switch to Zipcar a long time ago.