• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nobody Cares...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Bass-Invader said:
0 Mhz
0 GB HDD
0 MB RAM
Compatible with most flat surfaces that provide a moderate amount of friction.
On board eraser system.
Sharpener accessory (sold seperately) allows for continued precision and extends useable life by a huge margin.
Well, a consequence of all the technology available, is that there is a LOT of material covered in lecture... and it's almost impossible to write it all down!

Profs now use Power-Point slides for all their lectures, so no need to pause while they write stuff down for us.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
And regarding laptops in lectures, if you stand at the back of a lecture hall, you'll note that 90% of people with laptops are on facebook...

Rataxès

TRIBE Member
Bass-Invader said:

0 Mhz
0 GB HDD
0 MB RAM
Compatible with most flat surfaces that provide a moderate amount of friction.
On board eraser system.
Sharpener accessory (sold seperately) allows for continued precision and extends useable life by a huge margin.
Also, for Mac users:

And Linux users...a Beowolf cluster

eeePC looks kind of cool. One of the guys on the board has one and I took a look. Might be nice for travel or surfing at a cafe. Can't beat the price. Supposedly a 10" version is in the works. Rumours of something small and sexy at MacWorld have me drooling in advance.

starr

TRIBE Member
Michlerish said:
Profs now use Power-Point slides for all their lectures, so no need to pause while they write stuff down for us.
You mean psych profs do. A lot of other profs don't, it depends on your faculty and department.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I often wonder why there still ARE lectures... what is this, ancient fucking Rome? Quick, gather around, Socrates is giving a lecture!

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Rataxès said:
eeePC looks kind of cool. One of the guys on the board has one and I took a look. Might be nice for travel or surfing at a cafe. Can't beat the price. Supposedly a 10" version is in the works. Rumours of something small and sexy at MacWorld have me drooling in advance.
A laptop that I can carry around in my purse/shoulder bag, along with my other normal stuff would be HEAVEN!

SellyCat

TRIBE Member
Yup. I took only one PHL class--symbolic logic--and it used slides.

What other classes/departments don't use slides but actually do in real life?

Michlerish

Well-Known TRIBEr
Actually, stats classes... and probably a lot of math classes... don't use powerpoint, in my experience.

Cause it's easier to write out the formulas while students are watching (which is also why I can see Philosophy doing the same thing... those damned formulas! For thinking! wtf!)

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
The specific Philosophy class I mean was called 'Aesthetics' and the slides were the pieces of art we were discussing.

HAI GUIS POWERPOINT IS VERSATILEZ

Caz

TRIBE Member
spaboy said:
Seriously

someone has to come to my work & kidnap me. I'll give ya $50

But I was gonna ask you the same thing! Maybe if I kidnap you, then you call in a bomb threat here so that I don't have to come back.

With any luck we will both be in jail by tonight. From being drunk and disorderly, not for the federal offenses.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
rubytuesday said:
Powerpoint lectures make most students passive and lazy.
I'm pretty sure it is all lectures, powerpoint or no... it is an outmoded teaching technique... should have been dropped right after Boyle stuck a dog in glass jar and pumped the air out proving there is some sort of vital essence necessary for the dog to live...

Status
Not open for further replies.