• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nobody Cares (producers edition)

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
Still trying to figure out how to map my X-Xession Pro into Traktor Scratch Pro. Has anyone done this?
I don't think I fully understand your problem... as I'm not sure why this should be hard?

What are you having a problem with?

Just go to midi settings / or mapping settings in traktor's options and map the controller!

Are you sure you are getting a midi signal from the controller to traktor? there is a light at the top of traktors main screen that should be lighting up as you adjust any controller parameters verifying that traktor is receiving a midi signal.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I have been making so much progress on my audio mixing learning curve in recent weeks. its enough to say I don't need to shell out for school now that I've been reading up, experimenting, asking my two reliable sources silly questions, and making leaps and bounds. My productions are sounding twice as good as they did even 6 months ago. It couldn't come at a better time too, now that a friend of mine is signed to a major label and is looking for beats!

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
frustration! I've hit a creative roadblock.
took a few leftover vacation days for some dedicated production time.
been going pretty swimmingly so far but I started a new tune today which was going beautifully until I hit a point where I know what I want the drop to sound like, I can't actually get the sound to sound like I want to. I've spent the last couple hours spinning my wheels just so I can work this damn transition into the rest of the tune that is already pretty much complete.
ARGH! this is sounding too good to just turn into another incomplete project.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
I know your pain. I'd say take a few days away from it. Don't think about the track or what you want the drop to sound like at all. Then come back at it fresh in a few days. This kind of thing often works wonders for me.

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
[- FuNKtiOn -];4407623 said:
frustration! I've hit a creative roadblock.
took a few leftover vacation days for some dedicated production time.
been going pretty swimmingly so far but I started a new tune today which was going beautifully until I hit a point where I know what I want the drop to sound like, I can't actually get the sound to sound like I want to. I've spent the last couple hours spinning my wheels just so I can work this damn transition into the rest of the tune that is already pretty much complete.
ARGH! this is sounding too good to just turn into another incomplete project.
In today's world of (sadly) disposable, "here today, gone tomorrow" dance music.. I myself TRY very hard to stick to a code.. the code is:

"If you spend more than 10-15 min on ONE sound.. trying to 'make it right' for your song.. and it's not happening.. pick another sound/sample/loop.. whatever.. move on... don't kill your vibe or the work flow over one sound.. for every one sound you are trying to make right.. there are going to be another 100 sounds that would fit if you just move on to finding another"

That's one of the best and worst things about this music.. a song is NEVER really finished.. you can always replace the kick.. change the highs.. add another drum.. take filter away from a saw tooth bassline.. add more... add more effects, take away more effects.. etc etc etc.. and it will still sound as good as the "finished" version"... just different..

wrap it up.. move on to the next song.. the more you "finish".. the quicker you will "finish" the next one!

LET things happen.. you don't always have to premeditate a killer tune (in fact I think that is REALLY rare).

Long story short.. don't beat yourself up over a small hump.. just smooth it out and move on.. it's only dance music after all!

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I think I may be looking for some studio monitors. Sub $300 is the budget. Will probably be buying new.

Any suggestions? Would love the Behringer Truths but they are a little out of my budget.

Mrs. Pink

TRIBE Member
I'll be in the market for new monitors next year......the m-audio bx5a's were ok....but now that i'm really starting to get into production, they just aren't cutting it. The low end response is weak.....but mids and highs punch well. Def loud enough.....at 70w. I'd be interested to know what people recommend as well.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I was looking at the BX5a's. reviews are pretty good. I'm not going to be able to afford a sub though so I think they aren't going to. I think I'm going to need to wait a little and go for the Behringer Truths. They are awesome.

unique2100

TRIBE Promoter
I like my Truths. That being said all monitors have biases, you just gotta learn to work with/around them. I like the adjustments you can make on the Truths.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
I'll be in the market for new monitors next year......the m-audio bx5a's were ok....but now that i'm really starting to get into production, they just aren't cutting it. The low end response is weak.....but mids and highs punch well. Def loud enough.....at 70w. I'd be interested to know what people recommend as well.
KRK monitors. I have the rp8's. they are splendid.

i also have heard good things about the behringer truths.

Last edited:

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
my work phone is buzzin and ringin like crazy today. and other people are on my case, and christmas shopping isnt done, and all i want to do is finish a track i started last week. with no pants/

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
In today's world of (sadly) disposable, "here today, gone tomorrow" dance music.. I myself TRY very hard to stick to a code.. the code is:

"If you spend more than 10-15 min on ONE sound.. trying to 'make it right' for your song.. and it's not happening.. pick another sound/sample/loop.. whatever.. move on... don't kill your vibe or the work flow over one sound.. for every one sound you are trying to make right.. there are going to be another 100 sounds that would fit if you just move on to finding another"

That's one of the best and worst things about this music.. a song is NEVER really finished.. you can always replace the kick.. change the highs.. add another drum.. take filter away from a saw tooth bassline.. add more... add more effects, take away more effects.. etc etc etc.. and it will still sound as good as the "finished" version"... just different..

wrap it up.. move on to the next song.. the more you "finish".. the quicker you will "finish" the next one!

LET things happen.. you don't always have to premeditate a killer tune (in fact I think that is REALLY rare).

Long story short.. don't beat yourself up over a small hump.. just smooth it out and move on.. it's only dance music after all!
Oh yeah, THAT'S why I stopped posting in this room. <sigh>
I think it's good advice for someone just getting their feet wet. I also tend to obsess over things I'm working on, never allowing something to be "finished."

lol Apparently it was SOOO terrible that it chases people away who would otherwise actively read and post in this thread.

seriously?!? hahah

:rolleyes:

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
newest project has so much clean, tite bass, and this is before any eq'ing or compression. I think i've found a sweet spot. oooh yeahhh

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
for the bass / low end, i was aiming for (and achieved) this kind of effect:

YouTube - Lance Blaise and Rod B - Faaktree

[YOUTUBE]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bt2GIxnAVyY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bt2GIxnAVyY?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

...and this particular computer i'm using never let's me embed vids properly...

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
I think it's good advice for someone just getting their feet wet. I also tend to obsess over things I'm working on, never allowing something to be "finished."
"Art is never finished, only abandoned." - Leonardo Da Vinci
Fair enough… Indeed far too many people seem to have a body of work (be it music, scripts, paintings, etc) that they never ‘finish’ because they are constantly tweaking this or that… Interestingly, this is often more a confidence issue than anything, but that's another discussion. I feel it’s extremely important, especially for a new artist, to build up a collection of *completed* works, even if they aren’t all ‘perfect’. (Note: Are we assuming that Funktion is 'just getting his feet wet?' I saw no indication of this in the original post, but I really have no idea either way)

"Only the pure in heart can make a good soup." - Ludwig Van Beethoven
But that’s not really the aspect that I took issue with. It sounds like Funktion has a piece that he really likes (possibly even actually cares about?) and really wants it to come out well. I really don’t think there is anything wrong with that. In fact, I think it’s potentially a good thing. And sadly, something that seems to be largely absent from electronic music production in general these days.

"Muzak goes in one ear, and out some other opening." - Anton Kuert
It’s only dance music? Sounds like something I might say actually. But aren’t you people supposed to *like* dance music? Has the production of dance music gone so off course that even the people who make it simply don’t give a shit? I mean, even in the genre of dance, is it such a bizarre concept to *care* about your composition? About getting it right, and making it the best it could be?

"You don't need any brains to listen to music." - Luciano Pavarotti
Then you have the opposing argument; the audience doesn’t care, so why should I? In the sad state that EDM is in today, it can often seem like many people don’t care enough about the music being played, so the producer cares less and puts in less effort. The people in turn care even less, and so on. But I’m wondering if this is a bit of a ‘chicken & the egg’ syndrome run wild.

"Do you think I give a damn about you and your pathetic violin?" - Ludwig Van Beethoven
There’s nothing inherently wrong with DoubleDown’s advice. While getting something to sound exactly the way you hear it in your head is important (and is very rewarding when successful), at the same time, stressing *too* much over an exact sound can mark the death of a good track. It’s things like “it’s only dance music after all” and the concept of “disposable” music that rub me the wrong way.

Ultimately, I would argue that it’s disposable because people make it that way.

"At least this post wasn't overly pretentious." - Isosceles_CAT
…All that being said however, perhaps my comment was a tad smug in retrospect. ;)

Last edited:

DoubleDown

TRIBE Member
wow...It all went way too deep..

my whole point was really just focused on workflow / keeping things going / and avoiding getting obsessed thinking "it's not there yet!.. when in reality.. it is!"

anyhow.. meh!

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
picked up this toy the other day - and it is already an effective midi-controlling solution in my regular set up:

and its so tiny!! :D

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
ugh there is such a thing as the 'wrong reverb' for drums. this snare drum sounds like someone threw it down an open sewage pipe.... :(