1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nobody Cares (producers edition)

Discussion in 'Electronic Music Producers Forum' started by Sal De Ban, Mar 12, 2010.

1. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

All lesser non-thread-worthy rants and issues and shit go here. I'll start:

where is the goddamn bass in my tracks? even with bass-boosting vsts, etc, the only outcome is clipping and muddying. I'll need to pay out for mastering at this point.

2. DoubleDown

DoubleDown TRIBE Member

I would bet that a VERY high amount of my basslines have variations of the following strip running

PSP Mix Saturator - 9-15% Warmth / 10-30% Saturation
    PSP Vintage Warmer to add depth
    Waves Xenon Limiter
    One of a Few Compressors (some side chained to the kick.. which lets the kick cuts through the bassline and gives the bassline a touch more bounce... and eliminates mud during the kick locations)

I don't do THAT much to kicks over all... Edit length... maybe a touch of LP filter if I think theres a bit of fuzz that doesnt need to be there, but I doubt it... Compression for sure!!... oh and a Voxengo MSED... read about it in computer music... used in a form of mastering called 'mid/side mastering'. Put MSED on a kick a hit the 'mute sides' button and it's amazing how much extra 'crap' can vanish from an already tight and compressed sounding kick.

With kicks.. I find there are so many great sounding kicks becoming available... sample releases... or sampling something you already like... that you dont have to rely so heavily on plugins to make your kick pound... or do whatever else you'd like it to do for that matter.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2010
  3. DoubleDown

DoubleDown TRIBE Member

oh and by the way. The Voxengo plug-in is totally free on their site. As are a lot of really nice other fx plugins they make. Thier stereo enhancer can be a weapon on certain elements.

4. Sal De Ban

Sal De Ban TRIBE Member

thanks for the tips - i am a fan of the vox LF max punch. it makes for some mean bass too.

...what keeps you up at night?? :D

5. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

I want to start using PhotoSounder to do mastering you can get more accurate at mastering your music. PhotoSounder captures an actual image of your waveform and you can save it as a Photoshop document and use Photoshop tools to zoom in and clean your waveform image so that its pristine and then change it back to a wav form to preview it. There is no way to make cleaner sounds. Nothing beats it. Check it out.

Photosounder.com - Image-sound editor & synthesizer

6. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

7. unique2100

unique2100 TRIBE Promoter

What studio do you work at?

8. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

I'm Independent.

9. unique2100

Don't edit pictures to edit audio.

10. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

its for editing wavforms, whats the point of doing it that way lol

11. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

its awesome for isolating, copying and cleaning out unnecessary noise in a wavform image.

12. unique2100

*Yawn* post examples or stfu. You go on and on about the next shit but never have any examples, it's quite tiring.

13. unique2100

Hey man don't worry about pushing levels. It's best to be concerned about relative mix. If you want more bass lower all the other elements. Are you mixing with buses? A good way to approach a mix is a 4 bus set up DRUMS, BASS, LEAD, & VOCAL. Like elements should be mixed together often compressing basslines will have the opposite effect that you want. So thinking "my bassline is low" and adding compression will just leave your mix flat. As for mudiness in the bass, punch in the drums, clearity of vocals, here's a chart to live by http://emusictips.com/downloads/Frequency_ranges.pdf
    In general DONT OVER EQ. As a general rule you should never add more then 6 db tops to any signal at a given frequency. If you have to, youd be better to 1. use a cleaner signal/sample, or 2. Re-record. 3. Watch out for PHASE.

Check the link it'll give you a solid starting point.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2010
  14. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

I just started a new job and I've been studying I haven't had the time. The only thing worth talking about about that I have posted is on my soundcloud page and its a song I posted at the end of November and it seems to have been showing some interest. I'll finish some of my new stuff soon. You see I don't rush my shit. Thats why I can have my stuff posted for just a few months and get hits like this.

SubMissioN - Tracks - SoundCloud

Tech Support Jobs require constant education. You got a pretty big mouth for a shit head

Last edited: Mar 14, 2010
  15. unique2100

Nah you're the one who's always running off at the mouth about this and that. The future of recording blah blah. You're championing the editing audio through pictures. I'm just asking to see an example or too, where you've personally used it effectively achieving results notpossible through conventional techniques. Praising stuff you've never used is dangerous practice and doesn't help those starting out who may be reading posts in here looking for genuine help/advice. I'm very interested to hear your Soundcloud tunes.

16. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

I guess some things just seem a little more obvious to me. Using an imaging tool allows you to zoom in and polish a song in more detail then any type of conventional way because its just simply more accurate. Anybody can buy this program its completely affordable. Yes its time consuming but it allows you to do things in ways that you couldn't before because of pink and white noise issues. SNR ...signal to noise ratio.

17. unique2100

You have bigger things to worry about than pink or white noise. Best of luck I'm out.

18. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

There are a lot of other things to think about but when your talking about mastering, it goes down to the smallest variable that is possible. Thats why its called Mastering and thats why some people get paid to do nothing but this. Referencing, unless you a million dollar studio, can be just as complicated. However I don't think that people care if its that perfect most people can't even tell the difference. The tools that are already available to you are more then adequate to provide the results you need.

19. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

i was wondering how long it would take before this turned into a flame

20. DoubleDown

DoubleDown TRIBE Member

seriously guys? who cares!

21. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

I'm starting out with ableton 8, and i find it frustrating learning the program. I've never produced before, and I just want to play around so I can get a feel for the program. I find its much like photoshop - its a powerful program, but you really need to learn how to use it before you are going to make anything decent.

I've been watching youtube vids, and that helps. Although I need something really basic, step by step. Like, 'making your first song in ableton'

Can anyone suggest anything?

22. unique2100

What version of Abelton are you using? I have some great tutorial videos but alas they are in Markham. :/ I'll get 'em if I come back to T.O.

23. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

I just think its an interesting technology that could potentially evolve in a form of data streaming that could also potentially help us create complex 3 dimensional Holograms. That would be cool.

24. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

probably not.

25. SubMissioN

SubMissioN TRIBE Member

Imagine going out to dance at the club that has 3 dimensional dancing holograms that would be sick. Business conference meetings.