• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nobel winner slams war on terror

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Wednesday, December 10, 2003 Posted: 1341 GMT ( 9:41 PM HKT)

/edition.cnn.com/2003/WORLD/europe/12/10/nobel.peace/index.html

OSLO, Norway -- This year's Nobel Peace Prize winner says the September 11 attacks have been used as an excuse to violate international law and human rights.

Iran's Shirin Ebadi, the first Muslim woman to win the prize, did not mention the U.S. by name but was clearly referring to Washington and its allies in a speech prepared for delivery at the official award ceremony in Oslo, Norway.

Ebadi, recognized for her fight for children's and women's rights in Iran, collected a gold medal and the $1.4 million award from the head of the Norwegian Nobel Committee at Oslo City Hall.

The 56-year-old lawyer said Wednesday: "In the past two years, some states have violated the universal principles and laws of human rights by using the events of September 11 and the war on international terrorism as a pretext.

"Regulations restricting human rights and basic freedoms ... have been justified and given legitimacy under the cloak of the war on terrorism," she said.

Ebadi also slammed Washington for ignoring U.N. resolutions in the Middle East while using them as a pretext for launching a war in Iraq.

"Why is it that in the past 35 years, dozens of U.N. resolutions concerning the occupation of the Palestinian territories by the state of Israel have not been implemented properly?" she asked.

"Yet, in the past 12 years, the state and people of Iraq, once on the recommendation of the Security Council, and the second time in spite of U.N. Security Council opposition, were subjected to attack, military assault, economic sanctions, and ultimately, military occupation?"

U.S. President George W. Bush's administration launched the Iraq war in March saying President Saddam Hussein had weapons of mass destruction. But the war did not have explicit backing from the Security Council.

The Nobel laureate also criticized what she called breaches of the Geneva conventions at the United States' Guantanamo military prison in Cuba.

Nobel experts said the five members of the Nobel committee, who included three women, probably chose Ebadi as a way of promoting change in Iran.

The Middle Eastern nation was once branded part of an "axis of evil" by U.S. President George W. Bush with pre-war Iraq and North Korea.

Ebadi received Norway's Rafto Prize in 2001 for her sustained fight for human rights and democracy in the Islamic country.

She received her law degree from the University of Tehran and, as a lawyer, has been involved in several controversial political cases. As a result, she has been imprisoned by Iranian authorities on numerous occasions.

From 1975 to 1979, she served as president of the city court of Tehran and became the country's first woman judge judge. But after the revolution in 1979 she was forced to resign and now works as a lawyer and also teaches at the University of Tehran.

She successfully campaiged to reveal those responsible for the 1999 attack on Tehran University students. Several students died in the violence.

Ebadi is the founder and leader of the Association for Support of Children's Rights in Iran. She is also the author of a number of books on human rights.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by man_slut

Iran's Shirin Ebadi, the first Muslim woman to win the prize

Sorry its not news when an Iranian women says that the war on terror is bad.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by man_slut
^^^^^^ Why?:confused:

Well considering it was a war number 1 and considering she was living in a nation directly beside Iraq and named as part of an axis of evil for its ongoing nuclear ambitions....

I'm tempted to say she might be a little more biased than most.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
Well considering it was a war number 1 and considering she was living in a nation directly beside Iraq and named as part of an axis of evil for its ongoing nuclear ambitions....

Biased? HAHAHAHAHA! You mean, she knows what it's like to be on the receiving end, huh? :)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JMan

TRIBE Member
I'd say anyone with a dissenting opinion is considered biased... they are painted as either foreign twits or domestic traitors with other agendas. At some point the facts become the issue above all else.

J

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JMan
I'd say anyone with a dissenting opinion is considered biased... they are painted as either foreign twits or domestic traitors with other agendas. At some point the facts become the issue above all else.

J
No I think she actually is biased in a greater sence. Her views aren't dissenting they perfectly mirror the vast majority of the world.

All I'm saying is that what she said isn't news, its not shocking, its not new, its not unusual its predictable and could be assumed. She uses an argument in Israel to combat a war in Iraq, she disasscoiates Afghanistan even though the taliban was heqavily influenced by Iran.

her view is biased for so many reasons its silly.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ~atp~
Biased? HAHAHAHAHA! You mean, she knows what it's like to be on the receiving end, huh? :)
she knows what its like to have a revolution occur and her to lose her job and freedom becasue of it. she also knows what its like to be attacked by Iraq and to be the country that is attacking another country. She knows what it is like to work for a government that supported the Taliban.

She knows plenty, and I don't question that. All I'm saying is that her views are transparent and could have been predicted without much of a second thought.

She is as biased as tony Blair!

DSV

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Nobel winner slams war on terror

Sorry its not news when an Iranian women says that the war on terror is bad.
IMO, someone who has suffered at the hands of the current Iranian regime may want to promote the USA's war on Iraq in hopes of Iran maybe being overthrown one day as well. Also, don't forget Iraq and Iran are not allies but actually bitter enemies. So her view, while it may not be totally unexpected, isn't so predictable as you make it out to be.

Peace out!
Dave

P.S. On second thought, considering she's got at least half a brain, I guess we should expect her to speak out against the USA's 'war on terrorism'.

Last edited:

gubydal

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Nobel winner slams war on terror

Originally posted by DSV
IP.S. On second thought, considering she's got at least half a brain, I guess we should expect her to speak out against the USA's 'war on terrorism'.
Good point.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Deep_Groove

TRIBE Member
Actually, I'm a bit surprised that she said this.

From what I've seen, the general Iranian population is fairly moderate and against the repression of the mullahs who rule them. I've even heard some of them quoted as saying: "Forget regime change in Iraq, America, bring regime change here!"

But then again, as a human rights activist, it's not too surprising to see Ebadi as a little sensitive to "international law"

- Deep_Groove

OTIS

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Deep_Groove

From what I've seen, the general Iranian population is fairly moderate and against the repression of the mullahs who rule them.

- Deep_Groove
I have to agree with this, but you have to understand a big part of their rule was a direct result of the Shah being so close to 'western infulences' and also being an effective installed regime. That being said, alot has changed since 1979, a new generation has sprung up and Iran has an unusually populous young generation who are leading the fight for progressive reform, and who know nothing of why there was so much dissent over the Shah's rule, and what lead to the populist movement which brought in the current Islamic policy. Realistically they have nothing to compare the current theocracy to, and see it really for what an opressive regime it is. But this doesn't mean that they will accept and American lead invasion, in fact they are quite against this. They want more than anything internal reform and ultimately democracy. So curb your enthusiasm Deep_Groove.