• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Noam Chomsky Vs. Richard Perle

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I found this little gem on the A-infos Radio Project site.. it's a 2-part debate between Noam Chomsky & Richard Perle that took place @ Ohio Stat U in 1988. I have yet to listen to it, but have the bout excitedly queued in my mp3 player. It should be a must hear as the tet-a-tet between the king of logical dissent and one of the crafters of neo-con foreign policy is a rare one indeed.

Here's a summary:

At The Ohio State University 1988 Noam Chomsky debated Richard Perle. This famous debate was mentioned by Ed Herman in a Z Mag article last year. Later the video tape was sent to him and the audio was pulled from the video .

Click here.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

~atp~

TRIBE Member
downloading. downloading. downloading. downloading. downloading. downloading.

....FAAAAA-SSSS-TAAAAAAAAAR.

(thx for the link)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

man_slut

TRIBE Member
Gubydal and I just listened to the opening statements. Sounds really interesting so far. Perle is a TOOL!:D

Neo-Marxist

TRIBE Member
What's the big deal with Chomsky? He's been saying the same thing over and over again for the past thirty years or so. There are much better critics of US foreign policy lurking out there than Chomsky. This is not to suggest that what he does isn't important, I'm just saying that a lot of the attention he gets is undeserved. To put it differently, you've read one Chomsky book on US foreign policy, you've read them all.

starr

TRIBE Member
I would have to agree with Neo-Marxist that Chomsky's message hasn't changed in the last while.

However, I think that's more the fault of his oppenents. Perhaps if they mad esome changes he'd find something else to talk about, people are obviously not getting it and so he feels the need to repeat himself. Not really his fault.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Neo-Marxist
What's the big deal with Chomsky? He's been saying the same thing over and over again for the past thirty years or so. There are much better critics of US foreign policy lurking out there than Chomsky. This is not to suggest that what he does isn't important, I'm just saying that a lot of the attention he gets is undeserved. To put it differently, you've read one Chomsky book on US foreign policy, you've read them all.

I would also tend to agree; I'm a huge Chomsky fan, primarily due to his work on languages and computational theory. Although, the first political book of his I read was the "Fateful Triangle" which is quite good and very focused. Between that book, "Manufacturing Consent" and perhaps a few others, he covers some very distinct, poignant areas of American foreign policy.

The rest of his writings, speeches and what not all revolve on those same subjects, almost ad nauseum, which help drive home the central theme of his political message.

Any more diversity from him would almost be overwhelming.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
You also have to remember, a large part of his publications are just transcripts of his speeches and interviews, some even compiled by others -which may explain his notoriety for being somewhat repetitious.

But in the context of this thread, he sent Perle to school.

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by starr
I would have to agree with Neo-Marxist that Chomsky's message hasn't changed in the last while.

However, I think that's more the fault of his oppenents. Perhaps if they mad esome changes he'd find something else to talk about, people are obviously not getting it and so he feels the need to repeat himself. Not really his fault.

Was about to post the same thing.....

I still havn't listened to this, been sitting on my desktop for a couple days.

Zigg'

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
just rented 'distorted morality' last night...i talk he made at the JFK gov't school at Harvard in Feb 2002...i touch repetitive, but an immaculately clear description of terrorism performed by by israel and america since 1985.

edit - the most compelling moment in his talk and in the q&a afterwards was that we should not be "blaming america", but rather, it is up to us to stand up and voice our opinion about the atrocities being commited by the hypocritic american administration

highly recommended for the chomsky lovers out there.

Last edited:

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
I've read a few of his books including Manufacturing Consent, 911, and Nessesary Illusions - Thought Control in Democratic Societies <--- all very good reads.

Rocky

TRIBE Member
Once again: Chomsky is my hero!

Just listened to the mp3 last night. The sound quality of the second one crapped out several times, which made it difficult to hear some of it.

Chomsky made a fool out of this guys. By the end, Perle literally had nothing to say; and started making comments about how Chomsky is so "longwinded" and that he has something to say on just about everything. Of course he does. Chomsky deals in fact and truth. You simply cannot argue with that.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the link.. listened to the first set in my car last night and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
Perle was on the defensive from the get-go.. he didn't even follow the format of a 'debate'. Golden!

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
A quote of particular interest, from last week's Globe, Books section:

Chomsky's view of the world is drawn from his great linguistic theory: that the human mind contains a system that will always produce the same basic structures of language, regardless of cultural or geographic conditions. Transposed into politics, this means that the nation-state is a machine that will inevitably produce subjection of the masses and imperial domination of other countries, regardless who happens to be sitting at its controls at any moment.

What's interesting is that the author breaks the "secret code".... pseudo-intellectuals always ask,"Why doesn't Chomsky put together his liguistic theories with his political ones....", of course not realizing that they are one and the same, i.e. even now I am using linguistics to get the point across....hahahaha.... anyone who asks why gets the academic or intellectual equivalent of a double cock punch for not understanding....

And as for Chomsky being repetitice, yeah, duh, because it's not like the principles nor parameters have changed, and he recognizes that they NEVER WILL. DUH.

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd

And as for Chomsky being repetitious, yeah, duh, because it's not like the principles nor parameters have changed, and he recognizes that they NEVER WILL.

haha...
yeah, i thought there was something funny about that too.