• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

No $#@# Way

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Disney Buys the Muppets

LOS ANGELES (AP) - The Walt Disney Co. said Tuesday it will buy the Muppets characters, including Kermit, Miss Piggy and others, as well as the Bear in the Big Blue House, franchise from The Jim Henson Co.

Financial terms of the deal were not disclosed. The deal, which is expected to close in about two months, culminates a decades-long pursuit of the Muppets by Disney, which came close to acquiring the characters in 1990. The deal fell apart shortly after the death of company founder Jim Henson. The company then was bought by German media firm EM.TV, which sold it back to the Henson family last year.

The deal does not include the Sesame Street characters, such as Big Bird and Oscar the Grouch, who were sold earlier by EM.TV to the Sesame Workshop.

Negotiations between Disney and the Henson family continued about six months.

The Muppet characters already exist in Disney theme parks in a 3D film, while Bear in the Big Blue House, is a long-running show on the Disney cable television channel.

Disney plans to make new television shows, video games, movies and other products with the existing characters as well as develop new characters in the coming years.

"We have been very impressed by how the Disney company treats its own characters," said Lisa Henson, who, with her brother Brian, is co-chair and co-chief executive of The Jim Henson Co. "We feel if the Muppets are treated with as much care in the long term as Walt Disney's characters are, we will have properly served the legacy."

The deal includes a four-year consulting arrangement with The Jim Henson Co. to provide strategic advice on the use of the characters and a three-year production deal to develop movies, television shows and other projects using the characters.

The Jim Henson Co. will retain its "Creature Shop," which builds the puppet characters and provides special effects for other studios, as well as the rights to its film and television library, including Fraggle Rock and Farscape, among others.

The announcement is a much-needed boost for Disney, which has been under attack for weeks from ex-board members and is the subject of a hostile takeover bid from cable television giant Comcast Corp.

It is also a coup for Disney chief executive Michael Eisner, who has been attacked by some who claim he lacks management skills.

"Michael Eisner's long-standing passion and respect for the Muppets gives me and my family even more confidence in Disney as a partner," Brian Henson said.

Munich-based EM.TV bought The Jim Henson Co. in February 2000 for $680 million US in cash and stock. The company sold it back to the Henson family last July for $78 million in cash.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Littlest Hobo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
Boooooooo.

Don't let Disney fucks touch the genius of Jim Henson. :(

If Jim was such a genius, he would have left his Christian Science beliefs at the door of his doctors, so he wouldn't be killed by pneumonia. So I heard at least.

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
Boooooooo.

Don't let Disney fucks touch the genius of Jim Henson. :(

Agreed.

:mad: This sucks! There goes another franchise into the pits of the Disney Corp machine. Grrrrrr.

Bumbaclat

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
Agreed.

:mad: This sucks! There goes another franchise into the pits of the Disney Corp machine. Grrrrrr.

or into the pits of Comcast unless Eisner can keep his shit together.

Bumbaclat

defazman

TRIBE Member
What's with all the Disney hating? It's not like they don't know a thing or two about making kids/general audience movies and tv shows.

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
Munich-based EM.TV bought The Jim Henson Co. in February 2000 for $680 million US in cash and stock. The company sold it back to the Henson family last July for $78 million in cash.

GAD DAMN. The Hensons sure made their money selling off daddy's dream. Why anyone would be suprised that they sold to Disney at this point is beyond me. Obviously Kermit and company would be in much better hands creatively with the Disney cru. Not to mention the fact that their enthusiasm will help to revitalize a once proud organization that has fallen on hard times due to an obvious lack of passion.

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by defazman
I wanna buy a Miss Piggy Muppet.
Just because.

Misspiggy.jpg

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
kermit.gif

It's not that easy being green;
Having to spend each day the color of the leaves.
When I think it could be nicer being red, or
yellow or gold-
or something much more colorful like that.
It's not easy being green.
It seems you blend in with so many other
ordinary things.
And people tend to pass you over 'cause you're
not standing out like flashy sparkles in the water-
or stars in the sky.
But green's the color of Spring.
And green can be cool and friendly-like.
And green can be big like an ocean, or important
like a mountain, or tall like a tree.
When green is all there is to be
It could make you wonder why, but why wonder why?
Wonder, I am green and it'll do fine,
it's beautiful!
And I think it's what I want to be.