• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

No Video

ibiza911

TRIBE Member
Im pretty knowledgeable with computers but this one has stumped me, NO VIDEO.

So apparently the power supply died and i replaced it, great it should be back up and running now, right? Not quite, heres what ive done so far.

- Tried a different AGP card
- Tried the on-board video
- Switched to PCI video card
- Tested Ram, CPU, Video card in my other machine all is working
- installed hardware on a different motherboard (CPU, Ram, VGA/PCI card) didn't install the hard drive because either way you should get a bios splash screen regardless
- Went back to the original motherboard put in a different CPU (duron 800Mhz), Ram (ddr 512mb), and a ATI 32Mb video card (still no video)
- Tested the new power supply on another machine (successful)
- Ive also eliminated miscellaneous hardware by taking it out for the time being to ensure that its not the one causing the problem
- The motherboard does support all this hardware..

Please help I've been struggling for like 2 weeks now... Thanks for your help...

oddmyth

TRIBE Member

during these three tests you got no BIOS / Boot screen?

if not then I would say your mobo is done.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
What brand of power supply was it that died out of curiousity?
I used to work for a reseller that in their early years sold boxes with shit power supplies. When they went down they took the whole mobo, processor, hdd with them usually.
Deer was one of the brands. The other's I would remember if you said the name.

ibiza911

TRIBE Member

Sad thing is i have tried a new motherboard same problem?!?! and I know the hardware works as for the power supply manufacturer i will try to get that to you...

Originally posted by oddmyth

during these three tests you got no BIOS / Boot screen?

if not then I would say your mobo is done.

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
If you've tried a replacement mobo then odds are the power supply took out your VGA adapter when it took out the mobo as well.

KodiaK

TRIBE Member
well the one thing you havent listed (or maybe you have tried when you switched allt he hardware out):

did you try to use another monitor?

if not, the moboard is dead like the others said.

ibiza911

TRIBE Member
I have returned the new motherboard, maybe it was dead?!?! As i put my hardware into that MOBO and it did not fireup... hopefully i get better results tonight....

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
if it's none of the things you mentioned, not the mobo, it has to be your monitor.

also, if applicable, remember the 12V connection. i've made the mistake of tearing my system apart in frustration due to no video signal, only to realize that i forgot the damn 12V..

ibiza911

TRIBE Member
Finally

I guess i was just unlucky ended up being the motherboard. The new one i got must of been pooched beforehand as i returned it for a different this one fires up no problem... I Hate computers....