• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

No TTC subway service since this morning on Bloor line. Did a tunnel collapse?

dig this

TRIBE Member
I was in it going Westbound from Oss to Keele. Keele station was a bit insane. I've never seen a platform so packed. One freakout and people would have been tumbling onto the tracks. If this isn't an argument for personal jetpacks, I don't know what is.

praktik

TRIBE Member
I went down to platform @ high park station, a train came in and dumped half its people on the platform

I exited the station with them and went back to my apartment to start my workday remotely

fuck that noise

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Here's a comment from a short, uninformative news article that wasnt worth linking: "This is why there was a problem: the construction workers at Dundas West punched a hole through the street into the subway tunnel below, and water and sand poured in, flooding the tunnel. Basically, the tunnel semi-caved in. So that is why the service was suspended from Jane all the way to St. George this morning. Shuttle buses were running on Bloor (number 26) and it took me 2 hours to get into work today, in a sardine can, no less. It was the construction workers' fault this morning. And who knows how quickly this will be fixed!"

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Word is that a Go or Metrolinx construction project building a new station punched through the TTC tunnel and flooded it with mud and debris. How the fuck can these transit systems work together into a unified transit system if they can't even co-ordinate their construction properly?

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
hahaha this surprises you?

its not like Toronto's construction teams, infrastructure via projects run by Third party vs the city vs et all are constantly going well......

instead of assuming they shouldnt or cant fuck up if they are expected to work properly together, think of it like, well, these are the woes we much face to eventually get to where we apparently want to be.

CLUSTERFUCK is a constant in Toronto with development and construction.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Word is that a Go or Metrolinx construction project building a new station punched through the TTC tunnel and flooded it with mud and debris. How the fuck can these transit systems work together into a unified transit system if they can't even co-ordinate their construction properly?
Apparently that puncture happened a week ago and the TTC didn't think it needed to be repaired.... until today.

Toronto subway line shuts down in rush hour after water rushes through hole TTC decided not to patch | National Post

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
This is why Toronto will always be behind - I'm referring to point #3

THE TEDIOUSLY LONG WAIT FOR THE ONE-FARE PRESTO CARD
It was in 2002, a full dozen years ago, that Queen’s Park, in conjunction with GO Transit and GTA municipalities, first studied the idea of an integrated public transit fare card. Are we there yet? No. In 2003, London launched the electronic Oyster Card, which instantly had seven million users. It took Ontario three years of discussion just to make a decision.

Gridlocked: how incompetence, pandering and baffling inertia have kept Toronto stuck in traffic | Toronto Life

praktik

TRIBE Member
I'm not surprised the TTC is incentivized to categorize work as something they can delay:

The TTC operating subsidy for 2014 will be about $430 million, of which Toronto provides $340 million and Queen’s Park $90 million (from the gas tax). A further $100 million is needed to run WheelTrans, which is completely funded by the municipal government. Service cuts under Rob Ford and Karen Stintz capped TTC budget increases, but this cannot continue forever. And that’s just to keep the service running. In terms of infrastructure costs, the TTC needs $9 billion for system maintenance and vehicle replacements over the next decade; currently it is about $3 billion short.​
Maybe if the TTC were properly funded, and not hamstrung by boomers demanding tax cuts on the futures of their children in this city (and boomers outside the GTA demanding the same and rewarding politicians for publicly screwing us) then we wouldnt have situations like this morning.

Cause a well funded TTC wouldn't have the incentive to categorize work as "nice to do" when it really should be "gotta do"

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories