• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

No tragically hip thread ??

rswbrixton

TRIBE Member
was there and loved every moment. Im a Skinny Puppy kind of guy - but this was hometown love and a group of guys i have known for years. Gordie is an artist and poet thats for sure. Fantastic night.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Next to Leonard Cohen, Gord Downie is the best Canadian lyricist of all time. The way he uses words to create a visual image is second to none.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Maui

TRIBE Member
Yeah see I'm not the one who made the wild claim maybe out of emotional distress, so it's forgivable, but lets keep things real.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I agree with Kyfe. I'm not even a Hip fan but I recognize the brilliance of Gord's lyrics.

Can you name someone better?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
regarding the last Kingston gig...
cool story about the couple dancing face to face during Bobcaygeon.
he ( Leaf Jersey ) proposed to her, she said yes, and not captured on the webstream, was Gord seeing all of this and tapping his ring finger.

Gord's lyrics are wise, brilliant, sometimes chaotic ( especially his on stage rants ) and very Canadian.
I hope this thread doesn't turn into a pissing contest on who writes gooder !

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I think Gord Downie clearly belongs at the same table as Neil Young, Joni Mitchell, Leonard Cohen and Gordon Lightfoot. To suggest otherwise is ridiculous, as would be trying to argue whether one is better than another.

They're all better than Corey Hart and that's all that matters.

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
watched it this morning.

sadly, the Interwebs tells me it is not possible to retrieve it from my Bell Fibe PVR.
anyone got the know how to make a copy of the gig ? even just the audio ?

greginhali

TRIBE Member
There are lots of full copies on the torrents. What site are you on. Reddit has a few links. IP has some nice versions. Let me know if you need it posted up.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
I agree with Kyfe. I'm not even a Hip fan but I recognize the brilliance of Gord's lyrics.

Can you name someone better?
He could also go off the deep end and sound like a lunatic.
I remember them sharing this huge field with a Delerium party during the road apples tour.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Although I would argue, Neil Young, Lightfoot, Stompin Tom and Mitchel are songwriters, all also write great lyrics.

A lyrasist write lyrics while a songwriter writes the music as well which I why I isolated specifically Downie and Cohen.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
Sarah mclaughlin(sp?), maestro fresh Wes (I await the slags but he was always on point), Burton Cummings. I liked the hip but let's stop with the Downie was a god. He was very good but just because his life is ending doesn't mean let's heap remorse praise on him
Oh, also geddy lee, his voice sucked balls but man could he write and play

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
Sarah mclaughlin(sp?), maestro fresh Wes (I await the slags but he was always on point), Burton Cummings. I liked the hip but let's stop with the Downie was a god. He was very good but just because his life is ending doesn't mean let's heap remorse praise on him
Oh, also geddy lee, his voice sucked balls but man could he write and play
except Neil Peart wrote most ( if not 99 % ) of Rush's lyrics.

this thread now officially sucks. burn it with fire.

Last edited: