• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

No pun intended

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
I hate this phrase. I read two articles in the paper over lunch that had it in them. I mean, if you know there is a pun, and you didn't intend to make a pun, why not just change the wording so there is no pun instead of padding out your word count with "no pun intended" in every other paragraph.

It's also the most pretentious and smarmy think you can put in an article. It's like saying, "See how clever at word play I am. I made a pun but in case you missed it, I'll point it out to you but I’ll phrase it in a negative context so I won't sound like I'm talking down to you and you'll say 'Oh my, isn't that a clever pun? It's too bad he didn't intend it but don't I feel clever for noticing how that sentence is a pun on the topic at hand!' but you'll never be the wiser. Ho ho! Isn't journalism jolly fun?"

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by terrawrist III
who cares...it just adds a bit of flavour to a piece or paragraph...big deal
No, no flavour. Just more useless words from hack writers. If you're going to use a pun, USE IT. Don't pussy out after writing it.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
The saying isn't intended to point out the cleverness of the writer.

It's used to jokingly apologize for a bad joke, by pseudodenying that it was ever intended as a joke.

It's kindof like a rimshot or groan after a bad joke.

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
If I write a pun that is on the edge of punniness, I usually write (ha) after it, since otherwise it might go unnoticed, and that is just a crying fucking shame.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
The saying isn't intended to point out the cleverness of the writer.

It's used to jokingly apologize for a bad joke, by pseudodenying that it was ever intended as a joke.

It's kindof like a rimshot or groan after a bad joke.

thank you!...read my mind...it's absolutely intended...it's a sense of humour thing

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
The acticle that set me off was in the National Post (yes I know but it's the only paper they have in the office). It was a review of the new Von Bondies album and it talked about how Jack White mangled the lead singers face and then went on to say how the songs were "punchy" (no pun intended). I mean come on. That's just lame. Either go with the joke or don't say it at all. I'll forgive a lame joke but I won't forgive a lame joke that you admit is lame but still publish it anyway.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I can see it benig annoying, but I don't see how ou get pretentious or smarmy out of it.

Ah well, this thread will be ded in ten anyway.

fightingskurvy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
I can see it benig annoying, but I don't see how ou get pretentious or smarmy out of it.

Ah well, this thread will be ded in ten anyway.

agreed. I think it probably depends on how the rest of the article is written.

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by PosTMOd
If I write a pun that is on the edge of punniness, I usually write (ha) after it, since otherwise it might go unnoticed, and that is just a crying fucking shame.
Just like everyone missed my "spare" joke in the Bowling For Columbine thread.

I intend all my puns, so I never use the phrase in question.

Cheers ... Ian :)

JESuX

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Dr Funk MD
No, no flavour. Just more useless words from hack writers. If you're going to use a pun, USE IT. Don't pussy out after writing it.

*claps you on the back*

right on, sistah!