• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

No pot during passover

xopus

TRIBE Member
From Reuters

No hash matzos?
Wed Mar 28, 2007 4:41PM EDT

JERUSALEM (Reuters) - Marijuana is not kosher for Passover, a pro-cannabis advocacy group says, advising Jews who observe the week-long holiday's special dietary laws to take a break from smoking the weed.

The Green Leaf Party announced Wednesday that products of the cannabis plant have been grouped by rabbis within a family of foods such as peas, beans and lentils that is off-limits to Jews of European descent during Passover.

The Green Leaf Party, which has made several unsuccessful attempts to win election to parliament on a platform urging marijuana's legalisation, said it was issuing its advisory as a service to Jews who don't want to break ritual law.

But it said the rabbinical ban for the holiday beginning at sunset Monday, during which many Jews eat matzos, or unleavened bread, could be a blessing in disguise.

"Logic dictates that if the rabbis say cannabis is non-kosher for Passover, it is apparently kosher during the rest of the year," Michelle Levin, a spokeswoman for the party, told the YNet news web site.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

acheron

TRIBE Member
"Jews of European descent" - what the heck does that mean? Does this mean that Jews of non-European descent can go ahead and smoke whatever? And that news came from Jerusalem, too. Nice of them to say, "hey fuckers, no smoking pot - we'll be toking away here in Israel but too bad for you!"

tatgirl

TRIBE Member
acheron said:
"Jews of European descent" - what the heck does that mean? Does this mean that Jews of non-European descent can go ahead and smoke whatever? And that news came from Jerusalem, too. Nice of them to say, "hey fuckers, no smoking pot - we'll be toking away here in Israel but too bad for you!"

No, 'Jews of European descent' is to state the difference from Jews of Sephardic descent (places like N. Africa, Spain, and Arabic countries). During Passover, Sephardim are allowed to eat certain foods that Ashkenazi's (Eastern European decent) can't, though many Sepharadim may traditionally follow the Ashkenazi rules 'to be safe'. Whether its kosher for Sepharadim to smoke during Passover is another issue- I dont think any head Sephardic rabbi is gonna jump at the opportunity to say its ok. ;)

acheron

TRIBE Member
sure, but like the article states, "Logic dictates that if the rabbis say cannabis is non-kosher for Passover, it is apparently kosher during the rest of the year," Michelle Levin, a spokeswoman for the party, told the YNet news web site."

...so using that 'logic' we could say that because no one said anything, it's ok. So it seems like Sephardim are good to go!

grounded4life

TRIBE Member
Ms. Fit said:
can't the rabbi bless the weed/hash and make it kosher or something?
Kosher is not a matter of blessing.... it's the way something (food or otherwise) is observed, prepared, Universal laws, rules, and regulations and their observance in a manner that is in accordance with Halacha. (Halacha: The final decision of the Rabbis, whether based on tradition or argument on disputed rules of conduct.)

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

SJN

TRIBE Member
I had a big pork roast last night for dinner (and leftovers for lunch today). I'm a bad jew.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i busted out this news story last night at the seder.
my family's conclusion: "sephardim are jerks who get to eat way more stuff than we do."

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

grounded4life

TRIBE Member
Booty Bits said:
i busted out this news story last night at the seder.
my family's conclusion: "sephardim are jerks who get to eat way more stuff than we do."
LOL that's something my parents would say