• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

no passport!???!

joey

TRIBE Member
my brother and I are(were?) planning a trip. it seems that thanks to a crease in his birth certificate he cant obtain a passport though. The dude at the office said there are some places out there that dont require a passport for entry...

Anyone have any ideas what places he is referring to?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by Swamper
Drivers License & Birth Certificate are sufficient ID to go to mexico & USA

also fingerprints & maybe even urine sample for the US

gasper

TRIBE Member
For crying out loud!

Get a passport and go where you want to go!

I'm sure a crease on a birth certificate doesn't mean that you must forever remain in Canada. Figure out who you brother needs to see to get a replacement birth cert, then get a passport.

joey

TRIBE Member
to get a replacement birth certificate you need to fill out all the forms, file them, then wait 18-20 weeks. Obviously he's in the midst of obtaining a new one but we've scheduled our vacation time already....

It seems as though you don't need one for the Dominican either....

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Mr_Furious
I thought you needed a passport anytime you took a plane?

That was my understanding....

they look at your passport as you board usually.. no?

joey

TRIBE Member
a lot of places it is recommended to have a passport but proof of citizenship and valid photo i.d. can be used as a subsitution in some cases.

seeker

TRIBE Member
I went to the Dominican Republic 2 yrs ago w/o a passport. I don't think the laws have changed WRT that.

<edit> I did need to take proof of Canadian citizenship (ie Birth Certificate) </edit>

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by joey
a lot of places it is recommended to have a passport but proof of citizenship and valid photo i.d. can be used as a subsitution in some cases.

Sounds like you're setting yourselves up for a vacation full of form filling and beurocratic paperwork with no end.

hope it can work out for you guys.

junglegirl

TRIBE Member
you can get your passport faster if someone writes a letter saying it is for business - we lied and did this at my last job for my boss who was going to Italy - if you write a letter you get it in like under 5 days

joey

TRIBE Member
agreed it only takes 10. I got mine applied for two days ago. I didnt send it in. but you need a birth certificate to do so and they won't accept my brothers.

thanks for the info though.