• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

no laptop thread? this can be the laptop thread

praktik

TRIBE Member
Shit man thats probably a tough repair if its not something simple. Maybe some resoddering can do it.

If not you're fucked. Maybe try a place adept in electronics/laptop repair, theres a chance common physical tricks can reseat the connections and make it work again.

If however, the HDMI port is fucked because the mobo is itself fucked, no amount of resoddering an HDMI connection on a mainboard is gonna do it! It also might be more technically challenging to repair these connections than others....

50/50 this can be fixed IMO

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
Shit man thats probably a tough repair if its not something simple. Maybe some resoddering can do it.

If not you're fucked. Maybe try a place adept in electronics/laptop repair, theres a chance common physical tricks can reseat the connections and make it work again.

If however, the HDMI port is fucked because the mobo is itself fucked, no amount of resoddering an HDMI connection on a mainboard is gonna do it! It also might be more technically challenging to repair these connections than others....

50/50 this can be fixed IMO
That's what my google searches came up with too. My other option is to get a smart tv that doesn't require hdmi connection. My Toshiba still works perfectly tho. I guess I could sell it...

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
That's what my google searches came up with too. My other option is to get a smart tv that doesn't require hdmi connection. My Toshiba still works perfectly tho. I guess I could sell it...
Yeah HDMI ports are usually part of the motherboard, probably difficult to replace/repair. Do you have a VGA port? Get a VGA to HDMI adaptor.

Don't bother with smart TV, they are difficult to use. If you want to go the wireless route get a Chromecast.

ScottBentley

TRIBE Member
Does anyone have any experience with ChromeCast? What's the picture quality like? Got a VGA adapter and the pic quality has degraded.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Yeah, Chromecast kicks ass. If it's tied to your chrome browser or netflix etc.

Can't go wrong. It only costs like $60 bucks.

It's full HD.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Does anyone have any experience with ChromeCast? What's the picture quality like? Got a VGA adapter and the pic quality has degraded.
What is the model number of your Toshiba?

You wouldn't happen to have any DVI or Displayport or thunderbolt ports eh?

Any of these are digital while your vga adapter is basically converting the signal to analog, introducing some loss.