• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

No Fee Bank Accounts?

Maui

TRIBE Member
So I just looked and TD has charged me $22.50 in withdrawl fees, a $10.95 monthly account fee, and $7.50 in "other bank fee's" for the past month.

Not to mention that it now costs $3 to use any other bank machine other than your own branch.

I'm close to pulling a Michael Douglas ala "Falling Down".

Are there any banks that offer no fee's for using my bank card or that at least do not have the mandatory monthly account fee. What about credit unions? I would prefer to use them rather than support these criminals.

Re: Shoe

TRIBE Member
+1 Tangerie, but be careful - the lack of actual tellers and branches means that there are some things that you cannot do at Tangerine. For example, no way to do a wire transfer.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I'm a happy customer with PC Financial for the last 15 years. PC Financial = CIBC machines. I have my mortgage & line of credits with TD.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
PC has retail branches in a bunch of Loblaws stores, however I don't know how often you'd need one vs picking up the phone. You also get PC points when you shop at 'blaws, No Frills, etc.

diablo

TRIBE Member
Another vote for PC Financial. I've used them for years, and you use CIBC ATMs (for free), which are everywhere.

Tangerine is largely similar, except you use Scotiabank machines, which aren't in as many places (at least not where I live).

I was initially wary of not being able to use a teller, but the only times I've needed one in ten years of banking with PC has been to do foreign exchange (which you can do at any bank anyway).

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
PC Financial sucks if you ever need teller services. For example, all cash deposits take about a week to clear because they go through crusty old machines and a slow verification process. I needed that service once after five years of having a PC Financial account. I had to open a TD account just so I could make a deposit. Now that I have both, I'm leary of closing my TD account.

But mind you I saved... now that I think of it... $1240 over five years.

Maybe I should close my TD account again...

Maui

TRIBE Member
Thank you for the suggestions. I had forgot to mention that CIBC or it's affiliates were not an option. I banked with them for 25 years before walking away a few years ago.

Tangerine sounds like a good option.

diablo

TRIBE Member
PC Financial sucks if you ever need teller services. For example, all cash deposits take about a week to clear because they go through crusty old machines and a slow verification process.
I don't know how it worked years ago, but I've never had an issue like this. Deposits work just like any other bank.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
How do you guys set up your browser for safe online banking..been reading a lot,,, and shit just goes back and forth. So just wondering if you guys do anything extra to be on the safe side.. I use the Chrome browser

diablo

TRIBE Member
How do you guys set up your browser for safe online banking..been reading a lot,,, and shit just goes back and forth. So just wondering if you guys do anything extra to be on the safe side.. I use the Chrome browser
I just avoid logging in from questionable computers - stick to home, work and phone (if applicable). No issues so far!

rave jedi

TRIBE Member
I don't know how it worked years ago, but I've never had an issue like this. Deposits work just like any other bank.
I haven't tried a cash deposit through the ATM with PC in a few years, but what Snuffy said is correct. It friggin' took 7 full business days for my money to clear even though it was a cash deposit. Ever since that long delay I never tried a cash deposit with PC ever again because it took too long to clear.

Have bank accounts with both Tangerine and PC and I know Tangerine definitely takes less time for your cash deposits to clear.

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
I haven't tried a cash deposit through the ATM with PC in a few years, but what Snuffy said is correct. It friggin' took 7 full business days for my money clear even though it was a cash deposit. Ever since that I never tried a cash deposit with PC ever again because it took too long to clear.

Have bank accounts with both Tangerine and PC and I know Tangerine definitely takes less time for your cash deposits to clear.
I JUST got off the phone with PC - I needed my hold on deposits lifted and they offered to bump it to $200 from $100. WTF? I have been with PC for 7 years, have excellent credit (including a decent sized LOC with them) and they did not hesitate to say good by when I asked to close my accounts.

I am going back to paying $14 a month with Scotia and unlimited debit.

FREE is not always good IMO.

Jay

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
I JUST got off the phone with PC - I needed my hold on deposits lifted and they offered to bump it to $200 from $100. WTF? I have been with PC for 7 years, have excellent credit (including a decent sized LOC with them) and they did not hesitate to say good by when I asked to close my accounts.

I am going back to paying $14 a month with Scotia and unlimited debit.

FREE is not always good IMO.

Jay

Yeah, i left PC for Tangerine myself.

Your overall credit score is unfortunately irrelevant to your desposit hold/overdraft. What the bank likes to see is credit products with THEM.

If you get a small loan or credit card with PC - they'll increase your Overdraft/Hold

xtcfreak

TRIBE Member
Def strange.. just opened a Scotia Account - no holds on the first $1500 and it can be re-evaluated after a couple pays go through my account.

Jay

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories