• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

No comments on ANOTHER fare hike for TTC?

HAHAHA.

what a bunch of idiots.

how do they expect to increase ridership the way the TTC is currently run?

it's all downhill from here boys and girls.

- increase fares
- reduce number of busses, subways, streetcars
- increase wait times
- poor customer service
- rude and inconsiderate drivers
- dangerous drivers (busses especially), they cut cars off all the time, never signal when changing lanes... they are a deathtrap on wheels.

suddenly polluting the environment a bit more with a car doesnt sound so bad ;)

Originally posted by KickIT
I highly doubt he knew the deficit would be $5.6B. I'm sure he calculated for ~$1.5B shortfall. The mess with OPG and Pickering Nuclear just added almost $4B to the deficit and that just came out. The former Tory government did some creative accounting to product a so-called "balanced" budget.

While I think Dalton is a tool and he probably made promises he knew he couldn't keep. I honestly don't think he knew the deficit would balloon to $5.6B.

*c*
Let's clarify: the Tories presented a balanced budget. Revenues = expenses. However, as the yar goes on, shocks to the system will turn that budget into surplus or deficit. A budget is just a forecast, not a statement of current affairs.

Also, everyone knew about the negative shocks to Ontario's economy. SARS, a blackout, mad cow, and a slower than expected recovery in the US. Economists were forecasting at least a $4 billion deficit, but the Liberal economists were only forecasting $1.5 billion?

It's a pretty scary thought that if they underestimated the deficit that badly then, what they'll do to the economy in the next few years.

Originally posted by RJ45
dude, just how many "first world" transit systems have you actually made use of?

dude, my language is obviously hyperbolic, and this is more of a personal opinion than quantifiable fact, but I have used many transit systems (20+), and the TTC has a special place in my heart for sheer incompotency....it's one the reasons I am hesitant about living in Toronto again

Originally posted by RJ45
Hey KickIT I have some really nice land in Florida you might be interested in. ;)

Ya set me up.

Listen, I'm not justifying this or that. I'm simply laying out the realities of the situation. I personally think it sucks and I agree with VQ that the TTC's business structure needs to change but given the current variables, this is what we're left with.

*c*

Originally posted by Skipper
How much will the metropass go up?

C'mon, don't make me take 6 bills outta the ATM instead of only 5! :(
Not sure. But there needs to be an incentive for people to buy a Metropass instead of tokens.

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
I pay $1.85 to take the bus in a small town of less than 100, 000.

You want to live in a big city, be prepard to pay for it, or come up with a better system.

I'm still amazed that a city with the ridership Toronto still runs a deficit and needs federal funding for public transportation.

odbx

Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Let's clarify: the Tories presented a balanced budget. Revenues = expenses. However, as the yar goes on, shocks to the system will turn that budget into surplus or deficit. A budget is just a forecast, not a statement of current affairs.

Also, everyone knew about the negative shocks to Ontario's economy. SARS, a blackout, mad cow, and a slower than expected recovery in the US. Economists were forecasting at least a $4 billion deficit, but the Liberal economists were only forecasting $1.5 billion?

It's a pretty scary thought that if they underestimated the deficit that badly then, what they'll do to the economy in the next few years.

So the $1B shortfall at OPG and the $4B overrun at Pickering Nuclear were unknown to the previous Tory government? Right. You are correct about the rest though. Just don't try and wipe the Tory's hands clean of any of this.

*c*

I've been on public transportation in a number of North American cities and I'd say the TTC is excellent. I would rather not see a fare hike, but in the end it ain't gonna kill me.

Subscribe to Cannabis Goldsmith, wherever you get your podcasts
Ya set me up.

Listen, I'm not justifying this or that. I'm simply laying out the realities of the situation. I personally think it sucks and I agree with VQ that the TTC's business structure needs to change but given the current variables, this is what we're left with.

*c*
Yeah, we're fuckered.

So the $1B shortfall at OPG and the $4B overrun at Pickering Nuclear were unknown to the previous Tory government? Right. You are correct about the rest though. Just don't try and wipe the Tory's hands clean of any of this.

*c*
I don't think those numbers are factored in as the costs over runs at Pickering are the responsibility of OPG, and not part of the Ontario gov't budget.

The $1B shortfall is the Tories fault for setting rates too low. Along with the incompetent staff at OPG.

Should have just privatised the whole thing and let the private utility suffer the short falls.