• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

No comments on ANOTHER fare hike for TTC?

xsre

TRIBE Member
I think that we just expect it to happen every now and again, so it's not a big deal anymore. None of the governments could care less about Toronto or transportation. *shrug*
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
Ole Dalton there has been flip-flopping on his campaign promises pretty steady there. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come.
 

Pyrovitae

TRIBE Member
this gives me more incentive to bike year round despite the cold. fortunately, for seven months out of the year my transportation is free.
 

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
I dunno, I originally come from a town where bus fare is $2.60 for a service that's much inferior to that of the TTC, so it doesn't really shock me all that much.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Evil Dynovac
Ole Dalton there has been flip-flopping on his campaign promises pretty steady there. I hope this isn't the shape of things to come.
Dalton also has a $5.6B deficit he inherited from the so called "balanced" budget Tory government. Makes implementing new programs very difficult to pay for.

Also I believe the new hike is dependent on whether Toronto gets the 2% gas tax they were promised.

*c*
 

xsre

TRIBE Member
McGuinty isn't lying. He can't keep his promises because of a larger than expected deficit.

You can have either:

a) more spending NOW and big huge deficits

or

b) fulfilment of promises when deficit is gone
 

RJ45

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KickIT
Dalton also has a $5.6B deficit he inherited from the so called "balanced" budget Tory government. Makes implementing new programs very difficult to pay for.

Also I believe the new hike is dependent on whether Toronto gets the 2% gas tax they were promised.

*c*
I love how the people of Ontario seem to be so continually ready to believe that the Liberals had no idea of the province's financial state of affairs before building their campaign platform.

"Well, we have no idea how much money the province has, or owes, but we're going to promise the world to the people of Ontario anyway, and we promise we'll deliver it." :rolleyes:

Come on people, it's called bait and switch.

Because you know, the provincial gov't doesn't publish a budget EVERY YEAR or anything.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KickIT
Dalton also has a $5.6B deficit he inherited from the so called "balanced" budget Tory government. Makes implementing new programs very difficult to pay for.
Bullshit. McGuinty knew full well the size of the deficit going into the election, but acted all suprised when he found out how much it was. He knew the gas tax was an easily breakable promise.

I also find it hard to believe that the deficit is still $5.6 billion. What happened to the $500 million he got from Ottawa? What happened to the increase in tax revenues from the cancellation of tax cuts? What happened to the increased revenue from an improving economy?

He does have a deficit to deal with. But the fact that it hasn't changed since the election raises some serious questions.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
As for the TTC, they have some serious structural problems to deal with. Forget fare increases and funding cuts, they seriously need to re-examine the business model that they currently operate under.

Customer service sucks ass

Service is unreliable. How often have you waited a long time for a street car only to see 5 in a row? Or better yet, they sent 4 streetcars down the Spadina line in a row, all turning at King, before one for Union was coming.

Finally, fare pricing is fucked up. There is no longer an incentive to buy a Metropass. And they don't sell weekly passes either.

The city needs to take a long hard look at how the TTC operates. They need to get more for the dollars they are spending.

Increasing fares without improving service will just mean another decline in ridership.
 

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
Bullshit. McGuinty knew full well the size of the deficit going into the election, but acted all suprised when he found out how much it was. He knew the gas tax was an easily breakable promise.

I also find it hard to believe that the deficit is still $5.6 billion. What happened to the $500 million he got from Ottawa? What happened to the increase in tax revenues from the cancellation of tax cuts? What happened to the increased revenue from an improving economy?

He does have a deficit to deal with. But the fact that it hasn't changed since the election raises some serious questions.
I highly doubt he knew the deficit would be $5.6B. I'm sure he calculated for ~$1.5B shortfall. The mess with OPG and Pickering Nuclear just added almost $4B to the deficit and that just came out. The former Tory government did some creative accounting to product a so-called "balanced" budget.

While I think Dalton is a tool and he probably made promises he knew he couldn't keep. I honestly don't think he knew the deficit would balloon to $5.6B.

*c*
 

chipotle

Well-Known TRIBEr
I still think is pretty reliable.
The Subway can get you anywhere very fast.
Most Bus lines within the core of the city run a pretty tight schedule. Every 10 to 15 minutes. In some areas every 8 Min...and they are pretty good at keeping their schedule.

But I do agree some re-structuring needs to be put into place.

Especially with that useless line up in North York, which should really have been the new line leading up to York U.
I blame Mel for that.... right up there in Northy York.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories
Top