• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

No Cars on King Street in Toronto? Lets have a poll!

Do you want cars on King St. in Toronto?

• I want streetcars (and bikes) only on King Street

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • I want cars to stay on King Street.

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
This is a funny comment. Not funny ha-ha but funny someone actually thinks this way, although I know you were sort - of kidding.
Yes it is unrealistic, but i feel like people for the most part do what is convenient for them and dont explore most other options.

i know if i wasnt travelling out of the city to see my gf 3-4 times a month i would have sold my car last fall.

its literally the only reason i keep it while living in the city, and thats because the cost of renting a car that often is pretty much on par with owning my own and paying for insurance.

but when people especially in the downtown core are literally 4-5 km away from where they work, driving, the associated cost of parking etc, is madness compared to the other available options, let alone the hours you lose from your life on a commute that should take you 10-12 mins by bike vs 45 in a car.

I find this a wee bit of an ignorant way to look at this issue... There are a million reasons why people are driving, and they have every right to be. Public transportation and biking are not for everyone, especially given the state of the infrastructure in this city.

For anything to work in this city, people from all sides have to meet in the middle. People have to accept that there will always be a shit-ton of cars in the city. You can help reduce those numbers by creating better public transit systems and increase the number of bike lanes, but there has to be a serious effort to allow cars into the downtown efficiently and quickly. The more people think the 'other side' are a bunch of cunts and give each other dirty looks, then we'll continue to be polarized and incapable of make any positive changes.
I completely agree that having proper throughput via dedicated traffic veins with the proper infrastructure is key, but people that become to reliant on their vehicle to take them everywhere doesnt help.

the people that rely on their vehicles to commute in and out of downtown that live too far to conveniently take transit or cycle are the people causing the most traffic. If even 25 % of those people instead drove to a go station came in that way and used TTC or walked to their office in the downtown it would be ridiculous the amount of traffic on the major highways is lessened by and would be a even bigger relief from downtown traffic.

people really need to explore other options rather than driving most of the time during peak hours. taking TTC is just as fast as driving if not faster, costs less, and is better for the environment.

im sorry but if im driving around downtown, and get caught in traffic, i think im a lazy asshole that should have biked.

yep, im a cunt too sometimes. but at least im a cunt thats learning and trying to find alternatives.

Last edited:

kuba

TRIBE Member
Yes it is unrealistic, but i feel like people for the most part do what is convenient for them and dont explore most other options.

i know if i wasnt travelling out of the city to see my gf 3-4 times a month i would have sold my car last fall.

its literally the only reason i keep it while living in the city, and thats because the cost of renting a car that often is pretty much on par with owning my own and paying for insurance.

but when people especially in the downtown core are literally 4-5 km away from where they work, driving, the associated cost of parking etc, is madness compared to the other available options, let alone the hours you lose from your life on a commute that should take you 10-12 mins by bike vs 45 in a car.

but there are so many people who can't ride a bike, don't ride one downtown, aren't healthy enough to etc etc. I know I'm picking this argument apart but really the thing we shoudl be focusing on is the public transportation more than anything else - not whether people want to or should be biking.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
there is a reason they cant ride a bike......

they got to lazy to be able to.

actual people physically not able to ride a bike via a disability rather than being unfit and slovenly is a disparaging number.

and if you cant bike then TTC, by all means, but dont get in your car and contribute to the already mad congestion just because you are too lazy to use any other method.

fuck they could WALK faster in the downtown core to get to work if its only a few km away vs taking TTC or driving !~