1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

No Cars on King Street in Toronto? Lets have a poll!

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Jun 24, 2013.

?

Do you want cars on King St. in Toronto?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2013.
  1. I want streetcars (and bikes) only on King Street

31 vote(s)
    73.8%
  2. I want cars to stay on King Street.

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  1. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

And as others have said, the poll is preposterous, it's not about eliminating vehicle traffic entirely, it's about trying out a dedicated one way streetcar lane, during rush hour on weekdays. But while we're on the topic, removing street parking from King and Queen at all times, is something that should be explored.

2. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

if only you had skill with spear and bjj, you could fix things then.

3. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

All HAIL ZEE TUNNEL PEOPLE.

4. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

We're not talking a permanent ban. FROM 7-9AM Monday to Friday. If you're driving on King St at the time, then I dunno, use the better way? I don't feel much pity for someone who drives from Liberty Village to Bay St everyday.

5. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

these people are cunts.

people need to embrace cycling and transit.

why the FUCK would you suffer through driving to Bay St from Liberty Village daily. why would you want to be stuck at all.

ugh.

its should be a rule that if you live 10km or less from where you work you need to bike most of the year.

6. stryker

stryker TRIBE Member

As a motorist, cyclists and quasi-905er I've experienced all forms of transit in this city and I have thought for years that this was the inevitable solution. Either Queen St or King West should be turned into exclusive transit lanes. Streetcars, cyclists, rollerbladers, etc. From Woodbine to Longbranch.

There are hundreds of streets for cars to take. Driving a block or two north or south really isn't that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things.

They should also ban parking on all major roads and arteries and start building more multi-storey parking lots and deliveries should occur in the late evening.

Unless the gov't is will to force eminent domain and start tearing down homes along Ossington to extend the Allen to the Gardiner and expand Kingston into a full fledged highway then we'll need to starve carving out lanes dedicated to cars/trucks and transit/pedestrians.

Stew

7. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

Who rules Tunnel Town?

[​IMG]

RoFo rules Tunnel Town!

8. Bass-Invader

how does restricting the ban to the busiest time of the day rectify any of the concerns I raised?

An outright ban is insane. Something less than that, perhaps between 7-9:
    a. dedicated streetcar lane; and
    b. a marked increase in streetcar service; and
    c. no parking on King between the stated hours; and possibly
    d. building increased low cost pay parking close to the main inlets

Taken together, that might suffice. Freeing up the lane by banning parking would allow for dedicated transit and driving. Cycling would be safer since there would be little risk of getting doored. Streetcar service could be increased due to the extra capacity.

Liberty village drivers can suffer the spear, but I don't think they constitute a significant proportion of the traffic on King.

9. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

Can someone explain why changing two-way streets to one-way streets is never brought up as an option? Again, as folks have mentioned, at least as a pilot project. Converting King to a one way would give 1 lane for streetcars, 1 lane for bikes, and 2 dedicated lanes for cars. Then make Queen one-way in the opposite direction.

10. Bass-Invader

you just brought it up as an option.

11. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

The restriction for the pilot is only proposed to occur between 7-9 heading into the core and between 4-6 heading out of the core. There is already no parking allowed King during those hours and the Green P lots, private lots and side streets accommodate those cars just fine.

I think an outright ban is a bit much, outside of those hours, but making Queen pedestrian only between Spadina and Yonge is something that has been kicked around for years.

12. Bass-Invader

an outright ban even in those hours is too much. a dedicated lane should be sufficient.

do people actually obey the parking ban? last time I was rolling down those streets at that time I remember cars and delivery trucks all over the place to the degree that i thought the ban was only along certain strips of King.

13. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

Deliveries are a problem for sure, but the parking is respected for the most part and towing happens regularly. And what's being proposed is only in one direction. For what it's worth, the left lane is actually a peak-time transit only lane in many places (marked by a painted diamond) - it's been this way for 20 years, but it's not enforced.

And a true ROW would be surely move things along, but there's just not room to room to accommodate one a la St. Clair and Spadina.

The issue on King, especially in the morning, is actually capacity and load times, not congestion. It's the busiest surface route on the TTC carrying nearly double the passengers as the entire Sheppard subway line, but one door loads at many stops and cars blocking passage to them creates lots of bottle necks. And really, just one dedicated lane doesn't do much if the curb lane is blocked by taxi stands, deliveries etc. That's why the restriction, if it will make any impact at all need to take over both lanes into/out of the core during peak times.

14. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Well, that's what I meant. It would bring in so much money to the Ministry of Health and for development. Better maintenance of roads and maybe even subway money.

15. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Um, no. Traffic is slow and often gets into accidents or makes left turns that block streetcars and car traffic. An accident can easily cause a 10 streetcar lineup. It's mostly a car's fault, not transit.

16. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I'm with you. Zero empathy or sympathy. It's a luxury. When I drove to work, I felt like shit and deserved all the dirty looks I got from pedestrians and cyclists in Kensington Market (had meetings there).

If you drive, you're way down in the priority list in my books. It's a luxury, not a right.

17. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

Why are 30 idle cabs allowed to just park on King?
    That downtowner bus is a saviour. Even having to walk after it turns is better than sitting in traffic waiting for some fucking shithead in an SUV make a left turn on King.

18. Bacchus

Bacchus TRIBE Promoter

Word, like jarvis does.

19. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

Even getting back to the East End from Industry at 5am on Sunday (back in the day) could often take over an hour or more for a streetcar to pass by.

20. KickIT

KickIT TRIBE Member

21. Littlest Hobo

Littlest Hobo TRIBE Member

I agree. Things are getting worse at such an high rate certain parts of the city are not maneuverable at certain times. Toronto will become a failed city. And if you drive from Liberty Village to Bay you deserve a cockpunch.

22. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

Kinda meant more in the media or City Hall.

23. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Yes! I agree with you, mostly cars get into accidents and are turning left, but if it was a bus it would just go around and not bat an eyelash, whereas a street car is stuck there.

24. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

This is a funny comment. Not funny ha-ha but funny someone actually thinks this way, although I know you were sort - of kidding.

25. dig this

dig this TRIBE Member

I find this a wee bit of an ignorant way to look at this issue... There are a million reasons why people are driving, and they have every right to be. Public transportation and biking are not for everyone, especially given the state of the infrastructure in this city.

For anything to work in this city, people from all sides have to meet in the middle. People have to accept that there will always be a shit-ton of cars in the city. You can help reduce those numbers by creating better public transit systems and increase the number of bike lanes, but there has to be a serious effort to allow cars into the downtown efficiently and quickly. The more people think the 'other side' are a bunch of cunts and give each other dirty looks, then we'll continue to be polarized and incapable of make any positive changes.