• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

No Cars on King Street in Toronto? Lets have a poll!

Do you want cars on King St. in Toronto?

• I want streetcars (and bikes) only on King Street

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • I want cars to stay on King Street.

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Karen Wants To Be Mayor is proposing that cars be blocked from driving on King St in Toronto and only streetcars (and hopefully bikes) allowed. Alleged crackhead Mayor Rob Ford wants cars on King Street. What do you want?

Krzysiu

TRIBE Member
A car-free king west would never happen but it's nice to daydream about not getting yelled at by out-of-the-core clubbers in their parents rides while they troll for sluts.

"Bra, hey bra... Pussy! Ah-ha-ha! Tony, I called that guy a vagina!"

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I would support a trial run period to see what would happen.

I believe they are proposing no cars on King Street during the rush hour period only. And only in the downtown core, so maybe Bathurst to Jarvis.

And I think they are suggesting something like only the directions that move towards Yonge in the morning and away from Yonge in the afternoon would be banned.

And while I'm at it:

To the people who keep calling talk radio to suggest that streetcars be on the outside lanes, they can't because of their turning radius. They wouldn't be able to make a right hand turn.

To the delivery drivers who say they wouldn't be able to work. Why are you delivering during this time period? Especially apparently LCBO deliveries. Shouldn't that be done overnight?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Neither. That would be mayhem.
I would support it if they decided to do a crosstown relief. That's a tolerable reason. But really, they should just make that line on Queens Quay since it's a fucking waterfront that has no reason for cars to go into with every little businesses. Ideally QQ would be a pedestrian zone with a tram that goes along the cobblestone.

I support really big tolls to come into the city.

Last edited:

Hi i'm God

TRIBE Member
Silly idea.

If it was a square or piazza or an area more appropriate to foot traffic (a la distillery) sure but not a artery like King.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
I support really big tolls to come into the city by car !
fixed

make the cost of driving into the city from out of town for work EXPENSIVE.

take the bus or train, none extra cost.

its all those milky bitches that spend 2-3 hours a day in traffic because they ABSOLUTELY need their vehicle rather than using the available transit options.

djfear

TRIBE Member
About the only thing I agree with RoFo - the ONLY thing - is that streetcars are slow as hell and hold up traffic. I wish we had electric buses instead.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
About the only thing I agree with RoFo - the ONLY thing - is that streetcars are slow as hell and hold up traffic. I wish we had electric buses instead.
It would take three buses to equal one crush load CLRV, that's also three more drivers which aren't cheap. Buses also have to pull over to the right to stop, blocking traffic and then have to merge back with traffic. One of the major issues is that the existing fleet is old and prone to breakdowns as they've been extended past their appropriate service life. The new ones should be a lot more reliable and offer reduced load times once Presto is online.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
If it was a square or piazza or an area more appropriate to foot traffic (a la distillery) sure but not a artery like King.
Mass transit isn't about trolleys rumbling around cobblestone squares, it's about moving people. But you're right, King is an artery. On an average weekday, King accommodates 18,000 motor vehicles and 57,300 streetcar passengers. Moving the most amount of people should be the priority.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
It's only 7-9AM Monday to Friday. Sounds totally reasonable. It's either that or destroy Liberty Village or wait until 2150 when a subway is finally approved and funded.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
It's only 7-9AM Monday to Friday. Sounds totally reasonable. It's either that or destroy Liberty Village or wait until 2150 when a subway is finally approved and funded.
Not to mention that Liberty Village East "West Donlands" will be complete 2015 - 2016 and that will add even more commuters to the King line...

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
preposterous. far too many people rely on the east west movement of King street to get anywhere in that city. Take that away and it will simply impose even more gridlock on the surrounding streets which already threaten to burst.

such a proposition could only be made reasonable with commensurate measures to offset that amount of movement. For example, razing the entire 905 area code with fire and brimstone and building an underground tunnel city downtown to house the refugees. The mayor of tunnel city will arise through his unmatched fighting prowess (spear and bjj), unite the underground clans and claim many a victory for the tunnel people.

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
I used to ride the 504 in from Parkdale and by Dufferin the streetcar was full. The hordes trudging up Strachan from Liberty Village were almost always met by half a dozen full streetcars before one could fit them on. It's a total disaster - and then by the time those cars cross Bathurst, they're stuck in traffic.

praktik

TRIBE Member
The situation is already preposterous, as spinsah notes

very glad I moved away from King Street, was a bit of a transit black hole

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
This city is so fucked in terms of transit/traffic/congestion and all you naysayers who seem to want to shoot down a project before it even has a chance to run a pilot are part of the problem.