1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

no 3D tv thread?

Discussion in 'Technology' started by xtcfreak, Mar 27, 2010.

1. xtcfreak

xtcfreak TRIBE Member

I thought some of you would have been all over this. Looks like FS and BB get exclusive rights to sell until mid April. At a price tag of $3000+ for a 40" and $250 for a pair of glasses, I will be waiting a while. Besides , there are only a few movies out anyhow.

Jay

2. sheik rock

sheik rock TRIBE Member

The price will drop precipitously next year. You would have to be daft to buy one now. Every year they come up with a new thing to justify the premium TVs.

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

i will not ever buy a 3D tv.

Number one if you have perfect vision, and dont need correctional wear, wearing glasses that magnify something as well as making your eyes strain to see something in a ' pseudo ' 3D environment, i see lots of peoples eyes going bad or getting worse due to this.

Secondly, the price point especially on the new TV's is absurd as fuck. and since they are all 1st generation, buying one now would be irresponsible as a consumer unless you have money to burn, and if thats the case can you buy me a 50 inch Plasma :) no 3D though, thanks.

thirdly, with the advent of 3D TV now comes 3D gaming, and while you could argue if you only watched movies once and awhile on the 3D TV, then yes the afforementioned issues with the strain on your ocular cavities et all would then maybe be moot.

well gaming with those glasses on, is DEF going to make that particular brand of logic disappear.

i hope that there will always remain 2D tvs as if i feel i am missing a 3D element to my life it probably means i should get my ass off the couch and interact with reality.

[jai]

4. atomic

atomic TRIBE Member

Gizmodo's review of the Samsung and Panasonic models.

In short: wait a while longer.

5. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

the companies who are really pushing 3d tvs cant even make a 2d tv properly...why anyone expects them to make a good 3d tv is beyond me

everything i have seen thus far has been *extremely* underwhelming. blurry, soft, dim images that dissolved into a juddery mess whenever the camera moves

6. The tech is way too new, and still has a long way to go. I wouldn't even consider buying one for at least a couple of years, depending on how much they've improved the pic quality and the pricing of the equipment. $250.00 for the glasses alone is beyond stupid.

7. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

WE had all 3 technologies up at work, the sony working off a PS3, i think it was philipps that was using polarization or something so you didnt need expensive glasses that shutter for each eye, and standard red/blue glasses with a hannah montana DVD..

to be honest I really thought the polarization was most effective and the least obstrusive: the glasses have no electronics so they're light and I found the effect more realistic - the shuttering still affects motion somewhat

8. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

I'm waiting for Holographic Tv, aside from Avatar 3d has never really impressed and I hate the idea of wearing glasses to watch tv, it forces one to focus to mich on watching tv and I can see it creating more TV zombies than having benefits

Claro Holographic TV

9. octo

octo TRIBE Member

i've spent a few hours this past week auditioning the Samsung 55"

the TV itself is shit! image quality sucks, there are hot spots all over the screen. black's are crushed...all sorts of picture quality issues.

the 3D shows tons of ghosting.

DO NOT BUY

the only neat thing about the TV is that it'll convert any 2D source into 3D. it's gimmicky but might be cool for video games. that's about it.

my buddy saw the Panasonic 3D demo a while back and says it was much better. but, a) he was watching a 103" screeen and b) i wouldn't recommend that anyone buys a Panasonic plasma this year unless they sort out the black level issue.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010