• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nippertipping

dsmooth15

TRIBE Member
How can police deny that It is a racial driven incident when their own local townspeople came up with the term 'nipper tipping'? There's even an explanation of what it means by one of the town people and how the term has been used for a long time in that town!

I can't believe how ignorent the town police are. The earlier posts are right...fucking inbreds!

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

coleridge

TRIBE Member
One of our students here at work is of Chinese decent and he's an avid fisherman. He told me that his friends have been harassed before and this is something that's been going on for years.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

beaker

TRIBE Member
http://toronto.ctv.ca/servlet/an/lo...a_hate_crimes_070928/20070928?hub=TorontoHome

More hate crimes committed in Town of Georgina

toronto.ctv.ca

York Region police are investigating another series of hate crimes in the Town of Georgina, with the latest incidents targeting Jews and homosexuals.

Nine vehicles parked in the driveways of six homes on Annshiela Drive were defaced with spray-painted symbols of swastikas, anti-Semitic comments and homosexual slurs.

One vehicle had its windows and lights broken, and items were stolen from two vehicles, police said.

The culprits also spray-painted doors and windows of several homes in the cottage country town, which is near Lake Simcoe.

The incidents occurred between 9 p.m. Tuesday and 4 a.m. Wednesday, police said.

Investigators from the hate crimes unit are asking for the public's help identifying the suspects.

The incidents come a day after advocates for the Chinese community urged police to classify a string of assaults on Asian-Canadians at Lake Simcoe as hate crimes.

In four separate incidents over the last few months, fishermen were pushed into the lake on the southern shore.

One man was left in critical condition after a car chase following one of the attacks, and fishing gear was reportedly stolen or damaged during some of the assaults.

The Chinese Canadian National Council believes those victims were targeted because of their nationality.

Georgina Mayor Robert Grossi has condemned the recent incidents.

"We pride ourselves in living in a diverse and tolerant community," Grossi said in a news release on Friday. "It is unfortunate when the actions of an ignorant few undermine that mutual respect."

Police Chief Armand La Barge called the criminal acts "cowardly."

"These kinds of crimes are abhorrent and victimize the entire community," he said.

Anyone with information is asked to call police at 1-866-876-5423, ext. 7341 or 7189.

Tips can also be made to Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-TIPS (8477), or online at www.1800222tips.com.

beaker

TRIBE Member
and again...

Fishing trip to Westport turns violent
Chinese anglers say they were threatened by axe-wielding man yelling `No fishing, go home'
September 30, 2007
Surya Bhattacharya
Staff Reporter
Jinxin Wang's love for fishing would lead him and his friends back to his lucky spot near a Kingston-area bridge. But it would also bring him face to face with a man wielding an axe, screaming at him to "go home."

"It was like a tiger attacking a goat," Wang says through Maray Ma, a Mandarin translator who is also his tenant.

Wang, 47, an east Toronto resident, set off on a fishing trip Friday night with two buddies.

Recent media reports about "nippertipping" – or attacks on Asian fishermen, where they are sometimes thrown over a bridge along with their equipment – did not deter them.

He was unaware that York Region police had launched a hate-crime investigation last Thursday into four such incidents near Lake Simcoe.

For two months, August and September, the crappie are plentiful in the rivers and streams of Toronto. Fishing aficionados like Wang angle from night till dawn, when these fish bite the most.

Since crappie are available mostly frozen, bringing home a fresh one is a delight.

It is pan-seared on both sides and served steaming hot.

Wang took his friends to a spot near Westport, about 45 minutes north of Kingston, that yielded at least a dozen crappie two years ago.

They checked to see if there were any "No Fishing" signs on the bridge. They also heeded Ma's advice.

"I told them, `Don't be noisy. Don't litter. Local people sometimes don't like others coming. Don't disturb them. Don't talk to anyone,'" she says. "And don't let anyone come too close. They could push you in the water."

When a white pickup truck slowed on the bridge and a woman told the group to go away because it was not a fishing site, the party moved under the bridge.

Less than 10 minutes later, they said they heard someone swearing loudly.

Wang phonetically describes it: "F---er, go home. No fishing, go home."

There were four men and two dogs, he recalls. They carried axes and baseball bats. Wang said one stepped up to him and swung the axe within an inch of his face.

"That person is so ...," says Wang at a loss of words. "You don't want to look at him. To me, if we didn't go, I knew we would be attacked."

So, without a word, they said they walked to the car while the men made loud chopping noises on the bridge while "swearing, shouting and yelling" at them.

At their first turn, Wang spotted the same truck.

While two of his friends wanted to call the police, a terrified Wang refused.

"I did not want to make trouble for myself," he says.

Ma called members of the local Chinese-language press, one of whom then called the police.
http://www.thestar.com/article/261933

Thunder

TRIBE Member
I went to the cottage this summer in Fenelon Falls and happened to stop in at the local mall in Lyndsay on the way up. I havent felt so many evil glaring stares at me since I had my dreadlocks! I quickly told Trav we better get the hell out before they decide to string me up. How is it I feel safer 8 hours north in Kap? I'm only half chinese people.. you're only allowed to hang half of me.

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Thunder said:
I went to the cottage this summer in Fenelon Falls and happened to stop in at the local mall in Lyndsay on the way up. I havent felt so many evil glaring stares at me since I had my dreadlocks! I quickly told Trav we better get the hell out before they decide to string me up. How is it I feel safer 8 hours north in Kap? I'm only half chinese people.. you're only allowed to hang half of me.

I find that very hard to believe (not doubting you just surprised) living in Lindsay and working in Fenelon Falls.

This area consists of 80% seasonal residents who reside in the 416/905 on the lakes and isn't as anti-whatever as most other small towns in the province. Tourism is the name of the game up here, trust, if you can't find a way to cash in on the citiots (ha!) you better move there.

Asians especially are very common here for two reasons
1) Asian driving schools come up from Markham for instruction as its the closest "urban" centre to Markham without the insane amounts of traffic and chaotic driving behaviours.

2) Fishing; like the thread topic, in Fenelon by the locks it is filled with asian-canadians once the pickerel/bass seasons officially open. Same with the Scugog River in Lindsay; which is what I live on. A lot of high end cars from Markham parked on my street to go try the luck in the river.

I guess all Im saying is don't let a few hillbillies from Woodville in town for the farmers market make you feel uncomfortable; thats not the way it rolls here.

Thunder

TRIBE Member
green_souljah said:
I find that very hard to believe (not doubting you just surprised) living in Lindsay and working in Fenelon Falls.

This area consists of 80% seasonal residents who reside in the 416/905 on the lakes and isn't as anti-whatever as most other small towns in the province. Tourism is the name of the game up here, trust, if you can't find a way to cash in on the citiots (ha!) you better move there.

Asians especially are very common here for two reasons
1) Asian driving schools come up from Markham for instruction as its the closest "urban" centre to Markham without the insane amounts of traffic and chaotic driving behaviours.

2) Fishing; like the thread topic, in Fenelon by the locks it is filled with asian-canadians once the pickerel/bass seasons officially open. Same with the Scugog River in Lindsay; which is what I live on. A lot of high end cars from Markham parked on my street to go try the luck in the river.

I guess all Im saying is don't let a few hillbillies from Woodville in town for the farmers market make you feel uncomfortable; thats not the way it rolls here.

meh the real fishing is north of north bay!

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I'd be pissed if I got nippertipped. Cuz I wouldn't want to drown because I was mistaken for being Japanese.

The Truth

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
I'd be pissed if I got nippertipped. Cuz I wouldn't want to drown because I was mistaken for being Japanese.

I thought you would have a lot more to say on this than that...

Anyways, here's the latest update from the Star

----------

Angler attacks: Racism or poaching?

But town residents say poaching has sparked anger, vicious attacks against Asian Canadians

Oct 04, 2007 04:30 AM
Dale Brazao
STAFF REPORTER

Westport, Ont.–To hear the anglers tell it, they have been attacked, thrown off a bridge into the water, and threatened with baseball bats and axes by angry residents.

The unCanadian behaviour, these Asian Canadian anglers say, is just because of the way they look.

But residents of this idyllic hamlet on the shore of Big Rideau Lake, 45 minutes north of Kingston, tell a different story. Yes, there is palpable anger in town toward the "Asian" anglers, but it has nothing to do with race.

Residents claim some of the many GTA anglers of Asian descent, who make repeated late-night pilgrimages to harvest crappies and rock bass, have also been caught poaching prized bass and walleye from local sanctuaries.

"This has nothing to do with racism, and everything to do with protecting the fish," says Charlie Jones, a member of a fish conservation group. "These people have been caught time and time again over the last five years either over-fishing or taking fish from the sanctuary."

Jones, who also manages the local grocery store, blames the Natural Resources ministry's lax enforcement of fishing regulations for the problem.

"People call the MNR constantly, but they don't do anything. They don't have the staff to police this."

Residents with lakeside properties have also complained of finding garbage, including human feces and toilet paper, on their lawns or behind their garages.

"That's all over the place and that is absolutely not right," said Peter Clipsham, a broker with Coldwater Banker in town, who is convinced much of the illicit fishing is being carried out for profit.

Rumours of aerated tank trucks trolling the countryside have added fuel to the speculation that many of these fishing trips are supplying Toronto's Chinatown restaurants.

Crappies and rock bass, considered substandard species by many sport fishermen, are a delicacy in the Asian community. And in July and August crappies are apparently voracious eaters at night.

There is no evidence of illegal commercial fishing, said Steve Aubry, the MNR's supervisor of enforcement for the area. He said his officers are aware and are monitoring the situation in Westport.

The ministry has a 24-hour hotline for tips on illegal activity, but it does not have an emergency response system and that may be what is frustrating residents.

Residents say the atmosphere in Westport is so charged that any Asian person seen with a fishing pole at night is liable to attract heat.

Two mob attacks on anglers fishing on area bridges in the past month have shaken the Asian Canadian community.

On the night of Sept. 14, a 73-year-old Scarborough resident was beaten unconscious and his son-in-law thrown off a bridge 3 metres into the water after being attacked by men who emerged from a van.

This information is posted on telephone poles on the Sand Lake bridge in Westport by an Asian Canadian group calling itself "better Canada2007." It's offering a $1,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of the attackers.

Last weekend, a gang of young men brandishing baseball bats and axes chased a group of Toronto fishermen off another area bridge.

Neither incident is believed to have happened on sanctuary waters, which are clearly marked.

http://www.thestar.com/News/GTA/article/263545

green_souljah

TRIBE Member
Bass-Invader said:
if they were fishing for white rhino or tiger penis i might understand the anger and stupid rumor mongering.

Fishing is a highly regulated sport which is for the most part self governed by the people who take part in it. We have seen areas of the province "fished out" frequently and now at least information is available to prevent it from happening again.

People who poach are frowned upon greatly.

I really don't think this is about race per say but rather a certain group who continuously breaks the laws regarding fish seasons/quantity/etc. If this was a group of white kids wearing baseball caps with a bag full of Pickerel in March, the end result would be the same; just the sensationalist media wouldn't see it as a story.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
The Truth said:
I thought you would have a lot more to say on this than that...

Anyways, here's the latest update from the Star

----------

Angler attacks: Racism or poaching?

But town residents say poaching has sparked anger, vicious attacks against Asian Canadians
I don't know about us shittin' in people's lawns and leaving crap behind.. Maybe they should provide some evidence of that. But I know we used to go fishing somewhere up there... Many of my relatives went fishing.. We got turtles, giant fishes.. Even trapped a few birds...

I really have nothing to say. It's fisherman. I don't really relate much to people being pushed into water. *shrug* This is all sensationalized.. There's clearly a divide between people who just don't want people poaching and a segment of those people turning it into a racial issue..

If a black person stole my tv, I'd probably crack a few tv stealing jokes too. But the difference is that I understand the irony/humour of it but those folk up in Markham are probably actually racist.

Anyway, I'm sure you know that I get old trashy Chinese ladies stealing my garden vegetables and squash.. And hocking it on Spadina.. So I feel the poachers' pain.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
green_souljah said:
Fishing is a highly regulated sport which is for the most part self governed by the people who take part in it. We have seen areas of the province "fished out" frequently and now at least information is available to prevent it from happening again.

People who poach are frowned upon greatly.

I really don't think this is about race per say but rather a certain group who continuously breaks the laws regarding fish seasons/quantity/etc. If this was a group of white kids wearing baseball caps with a bag full of Pickerel in March, the end result would be the same; just the sensationalist media wouldn't see it as a story.

Do we need a licence to fish?
I don't get it. I'm Chinese and I didn't know that.. Haha.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
MoFo said:
Do we need a licence to fish?
I don't get it. I'm Chinese and I didn't know that.. Haha.
You need to be licensed by the province, and follow a list of regulations which dictate "seasons" in certain areas.

The Ministry of Natural Resources has also acknowledged that the Chinese Canadian community represents a significant portion of the recreational fishing population and has produced a Fishing Regulations Summary in chinese available at: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/pubmenu.html#fish

No doubt the issue is exacerbated by how easy it is to stereotype based on visible race, but from the sounds of things these incidents are occurring when fishing is happening out of season or in protected areas.

That being said, there's no excuse for the kind of ignorant behaviour a small portion of the locals are displaying.

JESuX

TRIBE Member
The Truth said:
"This has nothing to do with racism, and everything to do with protecting the fish," says Charlie Jones, a member of a fish conservation group. "These people have been caught time and time again over the last five years either over-fishing or taking fish from the sanctuary."

i saw a white guy steal a stereo once, therefore, all white people are theives and can't be trusted.

this is really fucking sad.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Rude1_247 said:
You need to be licensed by the province, and follow a list of regulations which dictate "seasons" in certain areas.

The Ministry of Natural Resources has also acknowledged that the Chinese Canadian community represents a significant portion of the recreational fishing population and has produced a Fishing Regulations Summary in chinese available at: http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/MNR/pubs/pubmenu.html#fish

No doubt the issue is exacerbated by how easy it is to stereotype based on visible race, but from the sounds of things these incidents are occurring when fishing is happening out of season or in protected areas.

That being said, there's no excuse for the kind of ignorant behaviour a small portion of the locals are displaying.

Really. Hm.
I never knew that. I've always hated fish so I avoided anything fish-related when I was a kid. But even now, we have some family friends who definitely don't have licences.. They go up, bring some giant Rubbermaid containers.. And BAM!, we got turtle soup!