• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

nine inch nails news

deep

TRIBE Member
- dave grohl drumming on the new album

- new album should be out early 2005 and will be accompanied with a tour

- there will be a redone version of the downward spiral released sometime this fall, in 5.1 digital surround sound

http://www.nin.com/access/index.html

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
yeah, reznor's been bogged down by all kinds of legal bullshit
from what I heard (very little, and all hearsay), his nothing deal fucked him nearly as bad as his TVT/WaxTrax! deal. He's gotta be real impressed with the music 'industry' right now. You'd think the guy would learn a thing or two about contracts...

So, I'm curious to know what people's thoughts are on 'The Best NIN album'. Which one? I know a lot of people are really into 'The Fragile', although I never listened to it enough to care. 'The Downward Spiral' and its numerous singles/remixes certainly brought NIN to the mainstream -- which is odd, since nearly every review of the album at the time it was released was negative, and critics bashed it for how strange and unlistenable it was. Then there's 'Pretty Hate Machine' with its catchy synth-pop stylings.

PHM is the only one I really bother to listen to anymore, although I haven't had a decent copy of 'The Downward Spiral' to listen to in years.

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
PHM was my fav for a long time, but I have to say that I currently think that TDS is his best production, and I am very eager to hear the re-release. I feel it was very well arranged and written (at least, from an instrumental standpoint). Most of all, the production and engineering is truly unique and incredible. I find that the seemingly endless layers of subtle complexity consistantly suprise me with new sonic treats when I listen to it even after all these years. It's a solid album of great songs; something I don't hear too often these days.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Of all his albums, I keep coming back to the Downward Spiral. I just never seem to get really tired of it; Pretty Hate Machine is fabulous, but that synth-pop style can get old on my ears after a few (dozen haha) listens.

The Downward Spiral is more of an integral experience rather than a set of individual songs you can listen to out of a random selection. It is raw, uninhibited and appealing to me. :)

seeker

TRIBE Member
listening to ruiner (version) from the 2nd volume of 'Further Down The Spiral' right now. This tune is great.

I'm going to hunt down another copy of TDS.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by ~atp~
Of all his albums, I keep coming back to the Downward Spiral. I just never seem to get really tired of it; Pretty Hate Machine is fabulous, but that synth-pop style can get old on my ears after a few (dozen haha) listens.
^^

What he said. The Fragile has its moments, but it's really just Reznor ripping The Downward Spiral off. The best thing about Pretty Hate Machine is the fact that Devo eventually covered head like a hole. :p

gsnuff

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker

So, I'm curious to know what people's thoughts are on 'The Best NIN album'. Which one? I know a lot of people are really into 'The Fragile', although I never listened to it enough to care. 'The Downward Spiral' and its numerous singles/remixes certainly brought NIN to the mainstream -- which is odd, since nearly every review of the album at the time it was released was negative, and critics bashed it for how strange and unlistenable it was. Then there's 'Pretty Hate Machine' with its catchy synth-pop stylings.

PHM is the only one I really bother to listen to anymore, although I haven't had a decent copy of 'The Downward Spiral' to listen to in years.
Hands down favourite for me is The Downward Spiral. The copy I bought when it first came out is nearly unreadable from abuse, so I'm happy to hear that it's going to be remastered and rereleased. Especially in 5.1. I don't know if any of you have heard any 5.1 audio i.e. Pink Floyd's Dark Side Of The Moon, but it's fucking spectacular. Maybe in ten years more audio will be similarly encoded for that "live and all around you" feel. I'm pretty excited if Reznor says that TDS really translated well to 5.1.

I quite liked the Left of the Fragile , but the Right never really grabbed me. I think the Fragile is the kind of music that really only goes over well with a particular emotional disposition.

I also liked Still and All That Could Have Been for their different performances of some of the better work. Not as cliched as a "best of" and showing the work in contexts other than albums.

I was just talking to ravegod about this yesterday actually , in that Pretty Hate Machine never really grabbed me the way The Downward Spiral did. I mean, it was good and I enjoyed listening to it then, and PHM did break new ground, introduce new sounds. Ringfinger and Head Like A Hole were great tracks. But I've never quite liked the industrial that indulged light-ass synths more than the crunchier, distorted, foaming at the mouth sound.

Oh, another bit of NIN related news : AFI has done a cover of "Head Like A Hole" , for an upcoming video game.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Imajica

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Syntax Error
i guess there's no love for broken.
I love broken. . at times it was my favorite album of thiers.

Downward Spiral is a good disk but I've had it on the shelf for a while. . I can't quite get into it like I used to (overuse probabily). Of course Pretty Hate Machine will always be a great ride but oh how I love The fragile (left). . left pulls out the win for me as fair as cd's go.

Although, the highlight of my nails collection is the fragile toor dvd! fucking yum :cool:

lok

TRIBE Member
The fragile, both sides, is some of the most finely arranged and richly textured music i have ever heard. It may not have the rawness it TDS and PHM which NIN was claimed to, but it is just a wonder to listen to..

seeker

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Syntax Error
i guess there's no love for broken.
I quite like broken. 'Happiness In Slavery' is one of the nin songs I like the most. It's only an EP though, and I'm a jerk when it comes to details.

sugar

TRIBE Member
I think I've listened to Pretty Hate Machine about a million times, and it still never gets tired for me.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by seeker
from what I heard (very little, and all hearsay), his nothing deal fucked him nearly as bad as his TVT/WaxTrax! deal. He's gotta be real impressed with the music 'industry' right now. You'd think the guy would learn a thing or two about contracts...

Unless you're talking about something else, the issue isn't with his record company (Interscope), it's with his ex-manager and account...he's suing them, claiming that they stole from him. The ex-manager launched a lawsuit first, claiming Reznor owes him money.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories