• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nina kraviz: "sexism and all similar bullshit must die"

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member

Russian DJ/producer Nina Kraviz has responded to controversy surrounding a documentary that was recently made about her.

The mini-documentary, produced by Resident Advisor (see below), follows Kraviz while she is on the road and features her sitting in the bath and swimming in the ocean.

It's an honest and insightful film, however it's sparked debate between fans and fellow artists, including Greg Wilson (who wrote a lengthy blog post) and Maceo Plex (who lashed out at Kraviz on Facebook).

Maceo said: "Shout out to the ladies playing amazing music and pushing the scene forward with nothing else but sick records and studio time. Cassy Britton, Steffi, Maya Jane Coles, Heidi, Magda, Margaret Dygas, Ellen Allien."

Nina Kraviz has now replied with a Facebook post of her own, stressing her stance on gender and sexism within the music world.

In direct response to Maceo Plex, she wrote: "I wish you spent more time in the record store, so you wouldn't have missed this lovely cover of one of the first ladies in your list of non-sexual female artists in the business. This is her Berghain / Panorama Bar first Panorama bar 01 mix by Cassy."

cassy

In a more general statement also released today, she said: "You can't control artist and their creativity. Sexism and all similar bullshit must die. And the first step to it is to let artists be who they are regardless of their gender, skin color, sexual orientation etc..."

She also touched upon "the bath scene" and the shots of her on the beach: "This video is about DJ on the road. And DJs take baths sometimes. The party in Bulgaria was on the beach. So you wanted me to be on the beach in winter clothes?"

You can read Greg Wilson's article here and check out Nina's full responsehere.

And read our article, 'Is Dance Music Sexist?'

Krackajak

TRIBE Member
Seems more like Maceo Plex' stance is sexist/patronizing.... why even trumpet that they are "FEMALE" producers?! Is being female some sort of handicap on deck or in the studio... maybe he feels that women naturally don't make good producers 'cause they can't use 'Reason' or 'Logic'? If they're great DJ/Producers, GREAT... give them props but don't dwell on their sex. Maybe we should be giving props to all the Gays and 'Ethnic' producers too.

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
If the Boiler Room sets I've seen online are any indication, she's a mediocre DJ at best - I'm sure she's crying herself to sleep at night over the publicity this is generating. ;)

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
I dunno why these dj's mention loneliness and solitude - I'd trade places with them any day. Travel around the world [or Europe], stay in luxurious hotels and play your music for everyone to love and dance to! tsk tsk

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Polymorph

TRIBE Member
If the Boiler Room sets I've seen online are any indication, she's a mediocre DJ at best - I'm sure she's crying herself to sleep at night over the publicity this is generating. ;)
eh, the Picnik Electronique crew here totally adores her. Brought her back for a headliner gig at Igloofest a few months back. She seems to know how to work the crowd here.
I read an interview with Nina last year: She makes a point of noting that she's from Russia, where's there's still a whole old-school class of sexism over there. But besides that, she seems to know how to have Fun. Works for me.
(PS minor crush on her, me has).

The Truth

TRIBE Member
I though the criticism about her was that she rose to fame by dating Ben Klock...sorta like Ida Engberg with Adam Beyer..

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alison87

TRIBE Member
This is one of the more depressing parts of the scene. Besides the list she spieled off up there, how many more chick DJs or producers can you guys name? Heather? The Tidy girls? Miss Djax? Esther? Mira? They remain the tiniest percentage. In a lot of cities there are plenty of female locals, but how many of those go anywhere? What strikes me is that the majority of the ones who do make it big are precisely the ones who capitalize on their looks. Obviously it's good business sense to present yourself as attractively as possible - that works for men too - but there is a shit-ton of popular male DJs who look like they just rolled out of bed, and you don't see that near as often with women.

The sad thing is that although i love the idea of seeing more chick DJs making it big, whenever a party promotes it explicitly, i tend to get preconceived notions about how their set is going to be - saccharine, crowd-pleasing and basically just girly as fuck. Which i don't care for. So even if a girl DJ was out there who'd rock my world, i probably wouldn't go out of my way to check her out, which could be part of the problem. People have a certain expectation, so it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, and we end up with a scene where most successful female DJs bare cleavage and keep their tunes inoffensive. It's fucked. It sucks that gender is even relevant, that it matters at all, but sadly i don't think it will change anytime soon.

Now can someone please post the fucking links to the articles so i can read them?

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alison87

TRIBE Member
Just had time to watch the YouTube and catch up on the articles/responses. Honestly, if someone hadn't pointed it out i really wouldn't have noticed "the bath scene". The whole piece was a bit fluffy and contrived, so i didn't find it out of place. It was more surprising to me that she (or any other DJ) is making enough to get a suite with such a nice bath to begin with. I guess if you're traveling that much then you really do want the luxury rooms to rest and catch up on what little sleep you can.

Her Facebook response is great, and the one line snippet doesn't do it justice. Her point is spot-on. If a chick likes to dress nicely and put on make-up, more power to her. It's unfortunate that the chicks who don't dress nicely or put on make-up don't get near as much attention in the scene, but that doesn't take anything away from those that do. It's a microcosm of society, except more poignant because we're supposedly all about PLUR - the women who are attractive or striking in some way find they get unwanted attention or are judged for it, and the ones who don't have the same physical presence struggle to get any attention at all. Being a woman sucks.

alison87

TRIBE Member
Maybe i should rephrase that to say i was surprised to see a DJ i'd never heard of until a couple months ago get a fancy hotel :)