• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nightskiing.

MadWej

TRIBE Member
~Loress~ said:
thanks atbell!

kenny and i will be at cypress this wed night if anyone wants to join. i may be in for tomorrow tho it's my anniversary, hopefully playhouse will want to play in the snow too :p

Ill be up there too. Just got my new skis!

a.ron

watanabee

TRIBE Member
Cypress was pretty icy yesterday, and holy crap were there a lot of people.

I heard we're expecting some snow tonight which would be great.

atbell

TRIBE Member
watanabee said:

You're telling me, and every one of those people expected to get a parking space for some unknown reason??? What a pain in the ass, I actually had to yell at someone that I would "tow their fucking car" if they didn't get back in line like the 800 other people. (sorry if that was you, to busy to put up with shit.)

We had parked 740 cars in the upper parking lot by 9 AM and more then 400 in the second parking lot by 10 AM.

atbell

TRIBE Member
watanabee said:

You're telling me, and every one of those people expected to get a parking space for some unknown reason??? What a pain in the ass, I actually had to yell at someone that I would "tow their fucking car" if they didn't get back in line like the 800 other people. (sorry if that was you, to busy to put up with shit.)

We had parked 740 cars in the upper parking lot by 9 AM and more then 400 in the second parking lot by 10 AM.

MadWej

TRIBE Member
Just for the record. Wednesday night up at Cyprus was awesome. Fast as hell with some soft snow on top. And my new skis....all I gotta say is Salomon knows what they are doing :D

Anyone in Whistler sunday?

a.ron

watanabee

TRIBE Member
what kind of skis did you get?

I'm off to Baker tonight for 2 days. They've been getting some fresh snow with a bit more expected. Should be nice.

atbell

TRIBE Member
Cypress has been getting hammered all day, it was yesterday too, and I think tomorow will be the same.

Lots of snow but it is starting to get heavy. Should be good for the full week so long as there isn't any / much rain.

To help conditions, the hill was almost empty yesterday and today. We didn't even fill the top lot with cars by the time I left (3ish).

MadWej

TRIBE Member
watanabee said:
what kind of skis did you get?

I'm off to Baker tonight for 2 days. They've been getting some fresh snow with a bit more expected. Should be nice.

I got the salomon foils :D

a.ron

atbell

TRIBE Member
Snowed all day today. For more details read the fine print:

In the morning (6-7:30) it started out warm, almost rainy. This moved into some substantial flakes but not the big kind that make powder, they were slightly fluffy and small but weren't wet enough to stick to your jacket if you happened to be outside pointing at parking spaces. By around 11 the snow had changed to a very light dusting of these odd oblong flakes that looked like micro sized rice. For a while this stopped and there was a very wet rain with a solid piece of ice in the middle that was good for pelting. At about 1:30 the rice like snow returned, eventually giving way to large flakes made of the rice like snow. By 2:30 the large fluffy snow had begun to fall on Cypress, especially annoying for people who may have had to work out side and didn't do up their jackets as it would go right down your collar and melt on your stomach. By 4:30 the snow had again changed to an odd cross between rain, hail, and snow. This kept up until about 6 PM.

Long story short, the snow was fun to ski on but it would have been better with goggles.

I'm going up tomorrow (12 ish until late) and likely wed. night. Let me know if anyone is interested in a ride.

billy

TRIBE Member
hey atbell...

does cypress have a tourist pass where you can go up the mountain to sight see? my mom and i will be hitting van in early feb. we don't ski but i would like to take her up a mountain.

for those reading, any other good vancouver tips for a son with his mom would be appreciated.

atbell

TRIBE Member
You can park free at Cypress and wander around the base but that's not so good for really seeing much. The only way to get up further then that is to snow shoe on the Baden Powel trail (which is free if you have shoes I think).

It's possible that the base area at the Nordic ski lodge offers a good view but it's been a while since I've been there.

There are two lookouts on the road up that offer a spectacular views. The first is very easy to see and comes just before the second hair pin turn. The second lookout is not as easy to find but it's a quick right hand turn after the third hair pin turn on your way up. Both look outs offer good vantage points that are free if you have a car.

Of course there is nothing like the view off sky chair on a clear day. 360 degrees of mountains, ocean, islands, clouds and city.

All weekend it's been incredible on the mountain, visibility at the top was unblocked and it was sunny for three days in a row. It was a bit odd looking off the hill at the sea of clouds below and realizing that if you lived / worked in the wrong place you'd be stuck in a cloudy day all weekend.

atbell

TRIBE Member
Thinking of skiing Wed. again.

If anyone wants a ride let me know.

I don't have a firm time line as I'm not working Wed so if people have commitments (like a job) it's no problem for me to leave when ever.

dj_soo

TRIBE Member
Is it wrong to say that my parents have a place up in whistler and I barely make one run a year up there?

atbell

TRIBE Member
^^^^

Technically you are likely correct that you only go up once a year.

But from a moral stand point "wrong" is probably an understatment, "living in sin" might be a more apt term.

MadWej

TRIBE Member
dj_soo said:
Is it wrong to say that my parents have a place up in whistler and I barely make one run a year up there?
:eek:

I don't know where to even begin to say how wrong that statement is......

Or even worse how royally cruel it is to post it........

a.ron

atbell

TRIBE Member
~Loress~ said:
i'll be heading to cypress early friday afternoon if anyone would like to join
I'll be there, if you show up at the right time I'll like be the one parking you too :)

I'm up for hitting the slopes around 2:30 ish (maybe earlier if I can swing it)

AB

atbell

TRIBE Member
Unfortunately I've not been able to weasel even a free hot chocolate out of the other workers there.

I just don't get enough chances to actually talk with anyone.

I'm thinking about going up again this Wed but it depends on the snow situation.

Sunday was pouring rain at the hill. We, the parking crew, had a difficult time figuring out if we were standing in water, sluch, or mud.

It shouldn't kill to much of the base but it's not going to make for great skiing if it doesn't get a good dump before heading up.

atbell

TRIBE Member
Save your money

I just got my hours cut back at cypress due to the snow situation.

I think that means that conditions aren't worth going up for.

I'll have a better idea of what it's like on Saturday.

billy

TRIBE Member
if it wasn't for this thread, i would have no idea why the top of cypress mountain had this strange white glow coming off it at night.