• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nightskiing.

atbell

TRIBE Member
^^^
And sky chair finally opened on Sat.

More on the parking .... it sucks. The place is so busy the first lot filled by 9:15 AM on saturday, I think earlier on Sunday.

I don't know why they don't have a shuttle bus for the other two lots, but it can be a nasty walk.

I think the snow is still good but could be used. I was up Friday for "work related" runs and there were a few icy patches showing up.

atbell

TRIBE Member
Just got home from my trip to Cypress where I found out it's closed all day.

But it's snowing a lot up there.

Might be good snow tonight / tomorow.

Lions gate bridge is closed though, so any plans might want to include checking to make sure it's open. (I don't know how to do that)

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
I would love to go to Cypress on Saturday. We'll see how I feel after my work's Christmas party tonight, which includes Bar None. If I want to make the 8am shuttle bus on Davie, I'll have to get up early. Unless someone is driving there later tomorrow morning?

atbell

TRIBE Member
Sorry, I'm going to be on the hill at 6am. Sounds like I'd be more likely to catch you before you fall asleep then after you wake up.

I'll probably be heading home around 3/4 in the afternoon if you need a ride back.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
Thanks. I never made it though. I have ten days off over Christmas, maybe I could catch a ride with you at some point then.

atbell

TRIBE Member
Working at Cypress again, 29th - 30th. Early until after 3 some time.

Send me a pm if anyone needs a ride back after 3.

watanabee

TRIBE Member
Atbell;

What's going on on Cypress right now with this precip? Whistler was a deep, heavy mess yesterday after getting 70" with mild temps on Monday? Did Cypress get snow or rain on Monday?

thanks

atbell

TRIBE Member
There was a bit of rain yesterday and the temperature has been hovering at that pissy warm / not warm level for a while now.

I actually got some runs in on Friday, Sat, and Sunday. Each day was completely different. Friday was snowy and I couldn't see shit. Saturday had a bit of ice and some small annoying type bumbs. Sunday was good but the steeper hills were getting cleared of snow.

I passed on driving up yesterday because I heard it was too warm.

Right now, it's cold out in Kits and the hill is covered in clouds so it might be getting a dusting. I might go up tomorow to check it out but I'm not optimistic as the schools are still out and it hasn't been bombarded with snow or anything.

I'm hopeing next week will be some good skiing, just need a bit of fresh white stuff.

watanabee

TRIBE Member
thanks.

Monday was a bomber day at whistler with heavy snow falling all day. It kept getting better and better as the afternoon went on.

The total 70cms they got combined with very high winds and dropping temps last night and yesterday has apparently made from some pretty challenging conditions today.

At this point there is another 35 - 55cms forecasted for this weekend, but that can change up to the minute.

If you look on the 14 day trend, the temps are going to plummet after the weekend to keep the new snow dry. http://weather.ca/weather/14day/pages/CABC0322.htm

what a wicked season so far, i love it.

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
anyone taken the bus to whistler and had to stash their gear? i'm wondering if there are lockers anywhere close to where the bus lets off, maybe to stash my board bag and shoes or whatever. what can i say, i'm ghetto yo.

watanabee

TRIBE Member
I think i remember seeing lockers under the Longhorn Bar right at the base of Whistler many years ago. Not sure if they are still there though.

atbell

TRIBE Member
It was snowing on Cypress at 5:30 AM when I left my house.

It didn't stop once, and was still going strong when I left at 5:00 PM.

Tomorow is supposed to be sunny and clear.

If you are thinking of going up make sure to be there at 8 AM, 9 at the latest.

MadWej

TRIBE Member
watanabee said:
I think i remember seeing lockers under the Longhorn Bar right at the base of Whistler many years ago. Not sure if they are still there though.
I am sure this is too late, but there are lockers down there. There is also a storage hut between the two gondolas that you can check stuff for the day.

Heading to Sun peaks this weekend for some beautiful interior powder :D

a.ron

atbell

TRIBE Member
A cypress weekend?

Ok, good news, 19 feet of snow have hit cypress this year (5 m or so), that's 2 m more then Whistler.

The bad news is that the surface isn't great.

I was up today and got a good sampling. Most of the blue / green runs have been groomed and have hard back that is getting a bit icy. The black runs and some of the harder blue ones are getting a lot of ice patches. Bowen Face (the big open black one under sunrise chair) was particularly icy.

The runs off of sky chair were significantly better then those off of sunrise. Some hunting through the trees gave me some decent snow. I liked the glades run today (skiers right off sky chair) and top gun wasn't bad either.

Also had a good run by picking through trees between Bowen Face and Collins even if I caught a ski and bruised my ego something fierce.

There is a competition this weekend, big air and a moguls comp. I saw the guys practicing on the moguls doing inverted twists and iron crosses, good chair lift entertainment.

I'll be up all weekend leaving around 4 ish if people need rides home (send a pm, i'll get it).

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
What time do you head up there?

atbell said:
Ok, good news, 19 feet of snow have hit cypress this year (5 m or so), that's 2 m more then Whistler.

The bad news is that the surface isn't great.

I was up today and got a good sampling. Most of the blue / green runs have been groomed and have hard back that is getting a bit icy. The black runs and some of the harder blue ones are getting a lot of ice patches. Bowen Face (the big open black one under sunrise chair) was particularly icy.

The runs off of sky chair were significantly better then those off of sunrise. Some hunting through the trees gave me some decent snow. I liked the glades run today (skiers right off sky chair) and top gun wasn't bad either.

Also had a good run by picking through trees between Bowen Face and Collins even if I caught a ski and bruised my ego something fierce.

There is a competition this weekend, big air and a moguls comp. I saw the guys practicing on the moguls doing inverted twists and iron crosses, good chair lift entertainment.

I'll be up all weekend leaving around 4 ish if people need rides home (send a pm, i'll get it).

~Loress~

TRIBE Member
thanks atbell!

kenny and i will be at cypress this wed night if anyone wants to join. i may be in for tomorrow tho it's my anniversary, hopefully playhouse will want to play in the snow too :p

atbell

TRIBE Member
I leave my house around 5:30 AM, I'm on the hill by 6 but the lifts don't open until 9.

I figured few people would be so against taking a shuttle to want a ride up that would leave 3 hours of sitting in the Chalet (arguably one of the lamest ski chalets I've ever seen.)

But rides home are no problem as long as I know who needs them.

watanabee

TRIBE Member
I kind kind of like the pub in there. Lame sure, but chill and a great place for some nachos and beer after skiing, yes.