• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nightskiing.

atbell

TRIBE Member
Cypress was mushy Sat. morning but open. Three chairs going (well two plus the bunny hill). By the afternoon it was nice but windy in spots.

I'm not sure of the exact base but I was shoveling a roof that had about 3-4 feet of snow on it.

I haven't been up since then.

Oh, and tickets are on at reduced rates, 50% in the week, 25% on the weekend. I don't know how long that will last though.

I'll likely go up to actually ski this week at some point to give a better idea of what the conditions are like.

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
It'd be nice if that discount hung around until Dec 15th..

atbell, I'm assuming you work at cypress (or maybe you just really really enjoy shoveling).. do you know if they're looking for grounds/maintenance people willing to work the weekends only?

..and thanks wtb for the word on baker & whistler.. I may find myself at the latter, this weekend! Who-ray!

watanabee

TRIBE Member
Cheap Ego said:
I may find myself at the latter, this weekend! Who-ray!
just go...you won't be dissapointed.

We're reaching record snowfall for November.

Sick days are meant for this weather.

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
I also went to Whistler last Saturday. The conditions were spectacular! It's the first time I ever went there, but my friends said it was the best they have ever seen opening day. The snow was awesome, I never went on the same run twice and not even half the hill was open. Much better than Blue Mountain. I don't think I can ever ski in Ontario again.

MadWej

TRIBE Member
SuperKennyK said:
Much better than Blue Mountain..
Please do me a favour and never mention Blue Mountain and Whistler in the same sentence again....unless its something to the effect of " I stayed in a hotel at Whistler that was 4 times taller than blue mountain"...thanks....:)

4 Sleeps till the stix hit the white stuff.....

Anyone else heading to whistler Saturday?

a.ron

atbell

TRIBE Member
SuperKennyK said:
I don't think I can ever ski in Ontario again.
Nice to see another convert!

Back in uni days a protion guy came to our door offering cut rate tickets at Boler ski hill (http://www.hotel--canada.com/SkiCanada/boler_mountain_ski_hill.html, vertical drop and astounding 115 ft and growing each year as garbage is piled on top!)

I thought I was polite to the guy at the door by my roommates spent the rest of the day laughing at me for the desgusted look I gave the poor guy.

I work in "Alpine Services" at Cypress. It's all base area work, parking cars, setting up fences, setting up the parking and ski racks, and shoveling stairs, roves and that damn rental hut which will colapse if the snow gets to high around it.

I think they are looking for people at all times. The HR lady might give you a kiss if you told her you wanted full time work too.

One thing I've learned about working at a ski hill, it's really hard to watch others go ski while you have to stay put.

watanabee

TRIBE Member
SuperKennyK said:
The snow was awesome, I never went on the same run twice and not even half the hill was open. Much better than Blue Mountain. I don't think I can ever ski in Ontario again.
not even 1/10th of the total terrain between both mountains was open. Whistler is huge this year with the new chair.

i'll be there Saturday, heading up thursday night though.

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
Mmmmmmmm, Blue Mountain :p

I can't wait to see the rest of Whistler/Blackholm. I just love that feeling of complete exhaustion when you get home from a long day of boarding.

aki

TRIBE Promoter
SuperKennyK said:
Much better than Blue Mountain.
hahaha....understatement of the millenium.

just booked 4 days in whistler in february with my lady.

hope to hit mt washington next weekend.

i just moved to victoria from toronto in september and have been giddy for weeks now thinking about the riding i'll be doing here soon :D

atbell

TRIBE Member
Just got back from the first ride of the year.

The snow on cypress is amazing!! Not to heavy, not icy, and you can really carve some good lines in it.

Unfortunately the snow above cypress, falling in your face as you ride, was heavy and icy.

Regardless, I got in as many runs as I could before my legs started protesting. The first clear day up there is going to be massive!

Oh, and sky chair isn't open yet and about half the terain off of eagle chiar is still closed, but all of the blue and green runs on both mountains are good to go.

SuperKennyK

TRIBE Member
atbell said:
Just got back from the first ride of the year.

The snow on cypress is amazing!! Not to heavy, not icy, and you can really carve some good lines in it.

Unfortunately the snow above cypress, falling in your face as you ride, was heavy and icy.

Regardless, I got in as many runs as I could before my legs started protesting. The first clear day up there is going to be massive!

Oh, and sky chair isn't open yet and about half the terain off of eagle chiar is still closed, but all of the blue and green runs on both mountains are good to go.

Sounds good. Can't wait to hit Cypress!

MadWej

TRIBE Member
just got back...all I can say is wow....Peak this morning was knee deep powder fresh tracks in the sun....now I have to go ice my legs for 4 days.

a.ron

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Never in my eight years of riding have I encountered snow like there was at that peak. I must have been flipped over at least half a dozen times. Add to that a couple double flips/tumbles! I expect a complete muscle system shutdown for the next two days as I recover.

I must go again!

atbell

TRIBE Member
On the local side of things... not as good as wistler, no surprise.

Today was nice, it's snowing hard and should be for a couple of days.

Sky chair isn't open yet but should be soon.

I heard that night skiing might be starting early, like one week or so. Keep watching the local web pages.

Parking note:
Since today was rammed and I was in the lot I notice a few things. One was that when Cypress is full you can end up parked one hell of a long way away.

To avoid this show up before 10:30, or after 1 on weekends.

or go at night.

erikwh

TRIBE Member
went up to Grouse on Sunday. Runs were pretty good except that they had not been groomed for a couple of days and things were getting pretty choppy. The snow was the best that I've seen on a local mountain in a long time. $45 lift ticket was a bit of a shock...

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
Night riding at Grouse last night was phenomenal! Better conditions than I've ever seen at blue.

A word of warning for those taking public transit - The ride up was great. We were on the mountain in less than an hour from downtown, but it's a good idea to leave well before the resort closes. Otherwise you're looking at a long lineup for the gondola, and then a very long wait for buses/boats etc. FYI: A taxi ride back from the mountain is about 30$, which is not unreasonable if you pile five people in like we did.

ps- the poutine sucks up there.

atbell

TRIBE Member
^^^^
Similar problems at Cypress.

Trafic can be really bad if you choose the wrong time to go. Comming down the mountain sucks if you get one person who can't drive and crawls down at like 20km. Also Taylor way, between highway 1 and marine, gets really clogged so if you think trafic looks bad try and get to lions gate via another road.

The bridge is almost always a bottle neck, expect 10-20 min. of stop and go if you time it badly.

Cheap Ego

TRIBE Member
LATEST NEWS:

Cypress Mountain will open for night operations (weather permitting) in both the Alpine and Nordic Areas on Wednesday December 6th, 2006. This is over a week earlier than our scheduled December 15th night operation opening !
oh yeah! :cool: