• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nightmare B4 Xma$$

wyrm

TRIBE Member
Was it Toys telling me "We didn't know" that the venue was non-smoking?

It's not that I value smoking that much, it's being treated like shit and being kept in the dark about the smoking policies of the venue until some wanker is covering your arm in black ink and taking your cigarettes away.

It's your job to inform your patrons of any unusual policies pertaining to the venue beforehand. Not knowing is not an excuse. It's your job to know.

I have now belatedly graduated to clubs, where the patrons are valued just a tad more.

That's the last thin dime any rave promoter has taken from me.

Stop Bill C-10

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
weird..

I've been to It before an you could smoke.
I guess it has something to with the liqour license being suspended and it being all ages.

JuNiOrR

TRIBE Member
It was a good party... teh venue as promised was amazing and yes... they were told the day of... and no that isn't an excuse but it was unavoidable as the venue owner checked into the bylaw that day... I am a smoker and I do not hold what happend against the promoters... it helped me to smoke less... I'm happy about that...

The truth is it is not legal to permit smoking in a venue that has no liquor license... This being said... Why did n't you think of it b4 hand... everyone knew they had lost their license... maybe except for you... relax and enjoy the music as most other people did...

my one complaint... even as a dj was... the system downstairs was too loud... but then again... I know during my set that was my fault... I was "red lining" it a lot but... I finally got to hear some of my new tracks loud... and I liked them...

I hope people enjoyed my set as it was "eclectic" to say the least... hehe oh well... didn't get to drop the track I made red turtle not play... aww... damn one hour timeslots...

didn't get to see any full sets I was basically there alone just b4 I left because my girl went home sick... as I did when I left... I swear that party is going to be like a cruise ship... I bet you half the people left with Norwalk! ewww...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1035775288145&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037
^^^ info on norwalk just incase i infected anybody with it as I believe that is what I'm getting.

ewww!

Justin Tyce
(11pm slot in the downstairs)

feisty boy

TRIBE Member
^^so it was you playing downstairs from 11:30 til 12:15 ish??
set of the night, for sure.
old school acid sounds, some of the craziest breaks with nasty ass basslines - all sorts of genres. don't know how to categorize any of it, but it was killer.

wyrm

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JuNiOrR
It was a good party... teh venue as promised was amazing and yes... they were told the day of... and no that isn't an excuse but it was unavoidable as the venue owner checked into the bylaw that day... I am a smoker and I do not hold what happend against the promoters... it helped me to smoke less... I'm happy about that...

The truth is it is not legal to permit smoking in a venue that has no liquor license... This being said... Why did n't you think of it b4 hand... everyone knew they had lost their license... maybe except for you... relax and enjoy the music as most other people did...

my one complaint... even as a dj was... the system downstairs was too loud... but then again... I know during my set that was my fault... I was "red lining" it a lot but... I finally got to hear some of my new tracks loud... and I liked them...

I hope people enjoyed my set as it was "eclectic" to say the least... hehe oh well... didn't get to drop the track I made red turtle not play... aww... damn one hour timeslots...

didn't get to see any full sets I was basically there alone just b4 I left because my girl went home sick... as I did when I left... I swear that party is going to be like a cruise ship... I bet you half the people left with Norwalk! ewww...

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1035775288145&call_pageid=968332188492&col=968705899037
^^^ info on norwalk just incase i infected anybody with it as I believe that is what I'm getting.

ewww!

Justin Tyce
(11pm slot in the downstairs)

We found out at precisely 9 PM at the start of the event that there was a no smoking policy.
The reason for this apparently has to do with the no smoking for all ages events bylaw, the same bylaw that doesn't permit smoking in restaurants yet allows smoking in bars where the patrons are 19+.
We apologize for not giving any advance notice, but at the same time it wasn't possible to do so because no mention of this policy was made to us beforehand by the club.

Aside from that, please give us your reviews on the night.... the venue, dj's, vibe, etc.

Peace

Well, which is it? I should be looking out for preparations that the promoter didn't know about?

This isn't 1994. This is 2002 and I appreciate a hassle-free night out.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stargurl*

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by wyrm
Was it Toys telling me "We didn't know" that the venue was non-smoking?
Under the new smoking laws, all non-19+ spaces (restaurants, etc) are non-smoking. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise, really.

kelliiiii

TRIBE Member
Wow - what an amazing night!
I usually do my fair share of complaining when it's necessary and people are always like "shut up...quit bitching...whatdya expect...blah blah". But in the case of nightmare I always expect the same thing consistently: a fast moving line-up, room to dance, and a wikkid venue (not to mention a great vibe). And once again, you all pulled through for me. This has to be probably the most reliable rave organiz. in terms of coming through with promises and not fucking over the customer. Thanks! Awesome awesome party.
Jungle Forever!!:D

originalVIBE

TRIBE Promoter
Re: Re: Nightmare B4 Xma$$

Originally posted by stargurl*
Under the new smoking laws, all non-19+ spaces (restaurants, etc) are non-smoking. So, it shouldn't come as a surprise, really.

an all ages party can have smoking so long as there is a 19+ area...ie - it is considered a bar/club.

if they have no liscence then there is no smoking.

k, no more of this smoking bull shit.,.....i had a really fun night, props to the nightmeare crew for bringing back this awsome venue!

real review coming later....J to the Esse.

ian

TRIBE Member
Aww, did the poor smokers have to suffer?

Could they pop out for a smoke?

If so, my heart bleeds for 'em.

-ian g.

JuNiOrR

TRIBE Member
originally posted by feisty boy:
^^^so it was you playing downstairs from 11:30 til 12:15 ish??
set of the night, for sure.
old school acid sounds, some of the craziest breaks with nasty ass basslines - all sorts of genres. don't know how to categorize any of it, but it was killer.

I played from 11-12... so it was me I guess... I had a lot of fun playing that set... I didn't get to play some of the tracks I really wanted to but... such is life... you'll will just have to come out on Friday and see me play at Cream for "UNZIppEd". It was wierd I played everything from oldskool breaks to house, to prog, to nu skool breaks, to tribla house, to disco hosue, and to hard as fuck techy filtery disco house...

Justin Tyce

Doktah

TRIBE Member
here be some pics.

IM001788.JPG

cliche'd laser picture that has to be done at every rave.

IM001792.JPG

heres another

IM001794.JPG

capital j from a distance

IM001795.JPG

crowd

IM001797.JPG

crowd downstairs

IM001798.JPG

ruckus and caddy cad

Doktah

TRIBE Member
IM001802.JPG

toilet paper girl

IM001805.JPG

zenmaster chi doing his beat juggle

IM001812.JPG

more downstairs crowd

IM001808.JPG

yours truly

IM001823.JPG

jeff freaking out

IM001827.JPG

k bye

Zenmaster Chi

TRIBE Promoter
^^^^

James...I love that last pic. :)

I had a great time @ this party. Great crowd and a nice sound system in the basement. The decks were freaking me out a bit...swaying up and down like that. I still can't believe that they didn't skip at all.

The falling pieces of stucco were also a little weird to get used to as well.

The request for the autograph on the glowstick took me by surprise too... :)

Still, the music was solid. It's too bad that the live Techno PA got nicked due to tech problems. I was really enjoying but some things just don't work out.

Also, I was disappointed that I didn't get to hear Lady Blue rinse out but I guess the threat of a citation was a bit of a damper on the occasion.

On a final note...that big picture behind the "toilet paper girl" went missing halfway through the night....did anyone happen to see anyone walking out of the venue with it?

just curious...

djUnabomber

TRIBE Promoter
Well, I had fun....that being said this awas another success for us....

As for the smoking...I only found out about that as they were searching the first person to come in....I was shocked and outraged at first but since I'm a non-smoker I was also very relieved...so there :) In a way it made the party alot better for me.....

Anyways, thanks to everyone who showed up and had fun....MY DEAPEST APOLOGIES to MISS BLUE who got cut off early due to those damn coppers and their noise complaints. We will 100% have her back again to rinse it proper......

Thanks again to all our friends and all the people who helped set up.....MERRY CHRISTMAS !!!

Doktah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zenmaster Chi

On a final note...that big picture behind the "toilet paper girl" went missing halfway through the night....did anyone happen to see anyone walking out of the venue with it?

just curious...

wtf

how does someone walk out of a rave with a painting that big?!

holy crap.
:eek:

originalVIBE

TRIBE Promoter
now i finally have some time to do a real review

I had a great time...luckily it did not bring back my memories of the original Nightmare before x-mas back in the day... I had not herd Capital J in a long time so I was really excited from the start and like just like I had remmebered he played a phat set with tons of his own personal dubs giving the crowd a chance to hear something different then the same old same old. And I also wana big up his bro for spending the entire night raving on the dance floor...even for the techno!

The real treat was catching Ryan Ruckus. Not that I dont hear him a lot but watching him play a sick set while dealing with some crazy vibration drama. For those who were not up close and personal durring his set, the decks shock absorber was sketching out hard....shaking from side to side but especially bouncing up and down like there was no tomorow. I have no clue how me managed to continue on mixing and keep the needle in the groove the hole time.....RE5PECT! oh yah, and ppl were dancing so hard that the montior was rocking back and forth (with an intelit light on it) and i so thought it would fall....props to the technitian for somehow riging it so that i didnt! All that b.s. aside, ruckus through down another great set...oh ya, let me also send a massive shot out to MC Caddy Cadd for not being on the bill but just showing up with Ryan because he wanted to mc and just going out there anyway....WICKED!

the rest of the music that night was a lot of fun as well but i cant comment to much as i was all over the place. sick venue...nice to be back...a good job by nightmare crew once again for locking that one down, they did not anticipate the smoking thing to run like it did but for a chance to be at a new venue it was worth it...especially that venue.

once again, glad to see that the nightmare crew is doing their best (and a good job at that) to keep things alive and well!

Looking forward to raving in the new year, originalVIBE

Final Shot Outs:
Klubmasta Dill, DJ Toyz UK, Uniboner, the rest of their crew, Mandy, Carol, Jay, Ryan, Caddy, Smokey Dave, Balance, and anyone else i missed... :)

Doktah

TRIBE Member
Re: now i finally have some time to do a real review

Originally posted by originalVIBE

The real treat was catching Ryan Ruckus. Not that I dont hear him a lot but watching him play a sick set while dealing with some crazy vibration drama. For those who were not up close and personal durring his set, the decks shock absorber was sketching out hard....shaking from side to side but especially bouncing up and down like there was no tomorow. I have no clue how me managed to continue on mixing and keep the needle in the groove the hole time.....RE5PECT! oh yah, and ppl were dancing so hard that the montior was rocking back and forth (with an intelit light on it) and i so thought it would fall....props to the technitian for somehow riging it so that i didnt! All that b.s. aside, ruckus through down another great set...oh ya, let me also send a massive shot out to MC Caddy Cadd for not being on the bill but just showing up with Ryan because he wanted to mc and just going out there anyway....WICKED!

heh..the decks werent bouncing, the room was.

it was the only way they could keep the needles from skipping...the decks weren't moving at all, so it was incredibly stable.

JuNiOrR

TRIBE Member
^^^
How true it is... playing at 11pm until 12 with the smaller number in there the decks were doing the same... it was insanity!!!

I was like how the fuck anm I gonna cue... but it was very easy...

HOLY SHIT THE SYSTEM WAS LOUD!

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
Talk about loud monitors. I had my headphone volume on the HIGHEST and I still had some problems hearing the cued record. But all in all you'll get used to it... and still managed to have a good time. Thanks to Nightmare and Unabomber.

Yourmamas

TRIBE Member
My review: Very late, but I am lazy

Smoking thing: Shitty, but who cares
Arthur Oskan PA: Boring to watch, but nice thumpin beats
Capital J: DOn't care too much for Jungle anymore, but he kicked my ass
Unabomber: Haven't listened to Hardcore since '95, Christian did nothing to change my view. Others I talked to thought he did a good job.
Five Alive: I was all over that Rakim sample/vocal. Nice
Eddie 7:Left during his set, no real comment

Nothing too special about this party, but the venue was pretty damn sweet.
I think I went there for a Souls of Mischief concert in 94?

P.S. I never went down stairs too often, the strobes blinded me.

kodos

TRIBE Member
had i known there was no smoking i may have gone! wow do i ever crave parties where i dont have to hork up black gunk the next day... whiney smokers: y'all suck camel nuts.

djUnabomber

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Yourmamas
My review: Very late, but I am lazy

Smoking thing: Shitty, but who cares
Arthur Oskan PA: Boring to watch, but nice thumpin beats
Capital J: DOn't care too much for Jungle anymore, but he kicked my ass
Unabomber: Haven't listened to Hardcore since '95, Christian did nothing to change my view. Others I talked to thought he did a good job.
Five Alive: I was all over that Rakim sample/vocal. Nice
Eddie 7:Left during his set, no real comment

Nothing too special about this party, but the venue was pretty damn sweet.
I think I went there for a Souls of Mischief concert in 94?

P.S. I never went down stairs too often, the strobes blinded me.

Heh heh...actually most of teh hardcore I played was FROM '95....So it's no wonder you didn't like it :) It was really freaky though when I dropped that ERIK B/RAKIM vs. BILLY JEAN remix to close off my set and then FIVE ALIVE opened with that sample...how cool was that !?