• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nick Warren's next GU...

sohaness

TRIBE Member
Hey ladies,

so i had a brief discussion with mr nick warren last night, and i asked him what we could expect from him in the near future. he told me his next GU release will be reyjkyavik (sp?) due for release in september!

discuss.

steve.

Stop Bill C-10

Cameron

TRIBE Member
Still, between the Seaman Melbourne mix, and now a new Nick Warren mix, GU is getting pretty stale.

it would be nice to see some new faces on the GU roster, there are plenty that deserve it.

Viceroy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Cameron
Still, between the Seaman Melbourne mix, and now a new Nick Warren mix, GU is getting pretty stale.

it would be nice to see some new faces on the GU roster, there are plenty that deserve it.

Agreed, something has to give here.

Peace,
Steve

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kevinj

TRIBE Member
I think this will be alright. It can't be much worse than a Seaman GU or the Deep Dish one.

I think GU found a niche in the progressive market and i doubt they'll change the formula that's making them rich.

If you're not happy with there direction there's many other quality mixes availale by other companies i.e. nitelife, Fabric etc...

Che

TRIBE Member
Word kevinj!

Also there will be 2 other releases before this Nick Warren GU

- Satoshi Tomiie - NuBreed
- Steve Lawler - Lights Out

^Both have potential to be really good

Nesta

TRIBE Member
global underground 23 is going to be james lavelle - barcelona.

this makes me very, very happy!

kevinj

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Nesta
global underground 23 is going to be james lavelle - barcelona.

this makes me very, very happy!

Really? That has serious potential.

Where'd you hear that?

Cameron

TRIBE Member
warning:rant

If you're not happy with there direction there's many other quality mixes availale by other companies

No doubt, loads of good compilations coming out, the 'Balance' cds are wicked.

The GU series has was at the forefront of progressive music imo, and their compilations were often the benchmark for prog compilations. The series introduces many people to progressive music (at least it did for me), and I was totally blown away by the kind of music I heard when I first got into the genre. Mixes like Digweed's Sydney, Hong Kong, L.A., Sasha's Ibiza, as well as Pappa and Howels' NuBreeds make the hair on the back of my neck stand on end when I hear them, and that undescribable 'quality' was what I've always loved about the GU/NuBreed series. However, I find that the GU line has just become recycled comps by Dj's I've heard a million times before, and I guess that's fine because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Problem with this however, is that the series isn't very forward thinking anymore. Sure Dave Seaman is good, but when I heard Melbourne I thought 'Cape Town' all over again. I also enjoy Nick Warren, I just don't think that this will have that special 'something' that has been absent from the CDs for a while now, yet was so evident before. As Nesta said, it's going to be like a compilation he has already done. Why do that? Where is the innovation?

Then again, maybe I take the GU series too seriously, maybe I'm too critical, or maybe Nick Warren will totally blow me away with this album and make me eat my own post, but the GU was what introduced me to progressive, so I've always thought of them as 'special' comps.

That's just how I see it however, I'm sure that there are people who think that Melbourne is the best mix to date. That's great, really 'clicking' with a mix is a fantastic feeling, the above rant was just how I saw things.

and who is James Lavelle?

feels great to say that!

phew, end rant.

peace.

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
download the unkle essential mix...that's james lavelle

also his fabric mix and u.n.k.l.e - science fiction, a project with dj shadow and colaboration with various artists like beastie boys, richard ashcroft, radiohead... i bought it a few years ago before i was into 'the scene' just for the radiohead track. i didn't like it back then but my opinion has since changed.

kevinj

TRIBE Member
Re: warning:rant

and who is James Lavelle?

feels great to say that!

phew, end rant.

peace.

James Lavelle is a Fabric resident...very eclectic. He'll play a Dj Shadow record then mix a Rolling Stones record with some tech beats...some prog, house, techno, breaks, classic rock, hip hop etc......

He produces under Unkle, did a kick ass essential mix with an extended 3.5 hour version that is crazy!!!! and aslo mixed FarbricLIVE 1.

I'm not sure how he fits into the GU sound and find it hard to beleive that he'd be doing a GU, but if it happens I'd find a new respect for GU.

rentboy

TRIBE Member
I just downloaded CreamLive 2, whatever that is. Sounds cool.

Yeah, that's a wicked mix...it came out around 1997 and i still listen to it.

The CreamLive 2 was a triple disc with Oakie, Nick Warren and Lavelle.

djcheezwhiz

TRIBE Member
renaissance in my opinion have been the most consistent over the past year with their releases...the 2 seaman discs & the recent howells/warren collaboration (not too keen on the deep dish ibiza)...but, the fabric comps are totally setting the bar a little higher...just listened to the new jon marsh & it's not too bad...still waiting for the new deviations...the first one last year (& especially disc 2 ) blew most other releases away...

gu has always been hit & miss...it happened to reflect and capture a time period in the evolution of dance music & in particular between gu 9 & gu 14 (two sasha mixes & a digweed mix...not bad)...but look at seaman 12 & 17 & the 2 emerson discs for blah uninspired sets...nu breed captured something which was missing in the gu sound...all 5 nubreeds stand up quite well, especially the pappa mix (although i vow to never see this guy spin live again)...i'm looking forward to the new lightsout series and it will be interesting to hear the tomiie mix...

what seems to be the common thought throughout this thread is the idea of forward looking...not just banging out the big tracks on your mix a'la ministry of sound comps (although i always smile when i see the ministry of sound logo on the back of the first two northern exposures & forgive them for their aya napa discs :) ) ...

so i guess with any gu now i usually think twice before handing over my cash...

jc

rentboy

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by djcheezwhiz

so i guess with any gu now i usually think twice before handing over my cash...

jc

that's why we have Audiogalaxy :)

nothing beats free music....45 bucks for a comp is pure rip off in my opinion. :)

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kevinj

Really? That has serious potential.

Where'd you hear that?

from the cycles message board.
i'm pretty sure it's true, coming from a reliable source.

Nesta

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: warning:rant

Originally posted by kevinj

He produces under Unkle, did a kick ass essential mix with an extended 3.5 hour version that is crazy!!!! and aslo mixed FarbricLIVE 1.

kevin, you don't have the 3.5 hour mix, do you?

Karim

TRIBE Member
Wha?! Nick Warren's doing the next GU? I thought it was bob saget!!

saget_gu.jpg

:)
Karim

kevinj

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MachoMan
dude! how can we get it. Are you on audiogalaxy? Tribe server?

Unfortunately I'm on neither but should have a new PC within the next 2 weeks. Will get you both copies when I can.