1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nice deal for Wilfred Laurier frosh ...

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Soundstream, Aug 27, 2003.

1. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

http://www.wlu.ca/~wwwpa/campus_update/news/2003/nr_08_27b_03.shtml

-----
    Laurier ready to meet housing commitment to over 2800 students

University suspends withdrawal offer after 50 students accept and all others accommodated

WATERLOO – Wilfrid Laurier University has closed the offer that allowed students to trade their residence guarantee for books, food and technology. Fifty students accepted the special offer and the residential services office secured or created 398 additional spaces, leaving Laurier residences ready for move-in day.

“ A combination of incentive-driven withdrawals and a Herculean effort by our residential services staff has allowed us to accommodate every student who held a residence guarantee,” said David McMurray, dean of students. “I look forward to meeting as many students as possible when they begin arriving on September 1.”

Just over 2809 students will move into Laurier’s residence system in Waterloo. That’s between 400 and 500 more than originally anticipated.

The University can accommodate the unexpected increase – and honour a long-standing guarantee to any student who applied to a certain date – in four key ways.

First, the university will be opening a new 332-bed residence on King Street on September 1. Though construction is still underway, furniture has already been moved into the first two-and-a-half floors.

The university is also accommodating students by reconfiguring its University Place and Laurier Place residences. A third option involves leasing various private accommodations, including entire floors in apartment buildings and small houses adjacent to campus.

Finally, Laurier gave students a unique opportunity to trade their residence guarantee for books, food and technology worth $2500. That total included a $500 credit to the book store, a $500 credit for food as well as a choice between a laptop, desktop or Blackberry cell phone and wireless e-mail unit. Fifty students accepted the offer.

To ensure that the students who opted to remain in residence enjoy the quality experience normally offered, Laurier has hired an additional residence-life area coordinator and five dons. This group will offer support and deliver residence-life programs to the 270 students living in accommodations that are not a part of the university’s regular residence system.
    -----

Cheers ... Ian :)

2. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

Wicked deal, I wish ryerson did that to me ;)

3. Brandon

Brandon TRIBE Member

Ah, Laurier, it makes me proud to have gone there.

As opposed to some schools that are requiring students to lease a laptop with no financial assistance, that they don't even get to keep when they have completed their schooling.

4. statira

statira TRIBE Member

its Wilfrid by the way. sorry just bugs me when people write it that way.

ang:)

5. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Similar to how it bugs me when people don't use correct capitilization and punctuation. ;)

6. Chubbs

Chubbs TRIBE Member

7. Soundstream

Soundstream TRIBE Member

Taglines are not required to follow grammatically correct sentence structure. They are similar to signatures.

8. Bass-Invader

Bass-Invader TRIBE Member

I'd take residence over a computer any day.

9. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

You go to Ryerson too?