• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

NHL season thread 2013 - 2014

kuba

TRIBE Member
I am surprised it took this long. Last year I posted that the Can'tucks should've traded this guy instead all along, their season didn't go so well and now it's happening. Not saying I know anything about teams etc., just it was plainly obvious no one could/would take Luongo.

IF the Leafs didn't pick up Bernier could they have afforded Schneider?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
NEWARK, N.J. -- The Vancouver Canucks have solved their goaltender drama, but not in the way most people expected.

The Canucks traded Cory Schneider to the New Jersey Devils for the ninth pick in the NHL draft, leaving Roberto Luongo as the starting goalie.

"Today's decision was made after a thorough review of our options and in the interest of improving this team long-term through the draft and development of players," general manager Mike Gillis said in a statement. "We appreciate the high level of professionalism and conduct both Cory and Roberto have shown while continuing to help this team be competitive. I would like to personally thank Cory for his contributions to our team and wish him the very best and a bright future."

Gillis said he "had to listen" to offers on Schneider. The one he took got the Canucks London Knights forward Bo Horvat at No. 9.

Horvat, an 18-year-old centre, played the past two seasons for the Knights of the Ontario Hockey League. He had 33 goals and 28 assists in 2012-13.

When the trade was announced, Horvat was surprised, like everyone else in Prudential Center. He had no idea the Canucks were going to take him.

"Anything can happen on draft day," Horvat said.

Horvat's will undoubtedly be under the microscope after being part of the trade that ended Schneider's Canucks tenure and re-inserted Luongo as the starter.

"I don't feel any pressure, actually," Horvat said. "I think it's more exciting than anything. I'm just really happy to be part of the organization. I can't wait to get there and show them that I can be that guy that they picked me at 9 (for)."

Schneider, 27, has two years left on a contract that counts US$4 million against the salary cap. Veteran Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur turned 41 in May and has one year left.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
supposedly the oilers offered a 1st, 2nd and a prospect

they were stunned, then again, doubt the crapnucks wanted to face schneider so many times a year

kuba

TRIBE Member
Holy shit, the Leafs couldn't have made this deal? a ninth pick?

That's incredible - almost a slap to the face for the Canucks.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Kris getting paaaaaaaaid

It appears Kris Letang is staying with the Pittsburgh Penguins.

According to RDS, the Penguins have agreed to terms with Letang on an eight-year, $58 million contract with an average annual value of $7.25 million and a limited no-trade clause to 15 teams.

According to TSN Hockey Insider Pierre LeBrun of ESPN.com, the deal is not officially done yet as Letang's agent and Penguins GM Ray Shero were expected to meet at Sunday's NHL Draft to iron out the details.

Letang has one year left on his current contract that will pay him $3.5 million with an identical cap hit.

Letang was selected in the third round, 62nd overall in the 2005 NHL Entry Draft and spent the first six seasons of his career with the franchise.

In 385 NHL games, Letang has contributed 44 goals and 165 assists for a 209 career point total.

He also captured the Stanley Cup as a member of the Penguins during the 2008-09 season and went to the Final as a member of the team the previous season.

The Montreal native was a finalist for the Norris Trophy this past season.

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
Joe Haggerty of cssne.com sheds light on why the Boston Bruins might have been keen to part with a young talent in Tyler Seguin, who was traded to the Dallas Stars Thursday:
"According to sources around the team, Seguin was out late in Toronto during the road trip to play the Leafs in the first round of the playoffs and the team had to hold a sit-down with the immature forward about his commitment to the team. Seguin showed up each day at the Air Canada Centre wearing the same clothes for three straight days and played badly in Games 3 and 4 of the first round against Toronto," writes Haggerty. "That incident coupled with stories of Seguin’s late night partying during the regular season prompted Peter Chiarelli to say that '[Seguin] needs to become more of a professional' during a tirade at draft weekend.
haha

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders