• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

NHL Rule Changes

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
So let's discuss.

The Good

Tag up Offside: About time they changed this back. Should have never changed it in the first place

Goal Line moved back 3 feet: Again, should have never changed it. Aside from Gretzky, the play happens in front of the net, not behind it.

Don't think it matters

Width of Goal Pads: I don't think this will have much impact. The goalies will still get to the puck. And if anyone saw the Leaf game the other night, they saw Healy talk about the weight change over the years.

Dumbest Rule Change Ever

Goalies can't handle the puck behind the goal line: dumb, dumb, dumb. Couple of reasons why.

1) ON a power play, the team that is short handed can fire the puck 200 ft down the ice. A well placed shot will leave the puck behind the goal line. So valuable power play time is wasted while a skater has to go all the way down and retreive the puck. Advantage goes to the penalty killers and does nothing to increase goal scoring.

2) Many teams hit the centre red line and dump the puck in and change. How many times have we seen an alert goalie pick up the puck, fire it up to a player, and watch that player catch the other team on a bad change and go in for a scoring chance. Now that won't happen. The team makes it change and is able to apply the trap nice n quick.

What the rule should be

Make goalies fair game when they leave the crease. Sure they might get injured, once, then they learn to stay in the net until the coast is clear. No longer can they come out and play the puck as well as interfere with the forechecker. Now they will have to make that decision whether it's a good idea to get the puck or not. Don't take a skill away from the goalies. Let them handle the puck when they can. But if they choose to handle the puck, then they effectively become a skater. Of course goaltender interference calls should still be made for anyone hitting the goalie while making a save.

This change would increase scoring more than the current proposal.

What is everyone else's thoughts on the matter?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Umm, actually the play behind the net is a very good idea...
boring teams like NJ and Ottawa (yes, I know my fav team plays a boring game) will have to change their ways of playing and create more offence.
But hey, that's just me, I know you Brett know more about hockey than I do. It's just my observation.

jah

TRIBE Member
What about implementing a outer crease like lacrosse? Keep the inner blue ice and institute an outer crease area. If a player touches a goalie in the outer crease it's a penalty (unless pushed by a defender) If the goalie wanders out of the outer crease he's fair game for contact. This way they can they play the puck yet not wander into the corners like some do without fear of a "little" contact!

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
I think the crease is big enough as it is. As long as he is attempting to make a save, he is untouchable. The minute he decides to play the puck like a skater, it's open season. They'll learn quick.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
10 inch pads? LOL. Some players are currently skating with shin guards that are 8 inches.

hahahahah.

some of these rules are just fucking stupid. plain & simple

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Vote Quimby
I think the crease is big enough as it is. As long as he is attempting to make a save, he is untouchable. The minute he decides to play the puck like a skater, it's open season. They'll learn quick.

perhaps 'ol Wendy will be making a comeback. LOL. It was great watching Wendel take out goalies. :)

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KillaLadY
boring teams like NJ and Ottawa (yes, I know my fav team plays a boring game) will have to change their ways of playing and create more offence.
But hey, that's just me, I know you Brett know more about hockey than I do. It's just my observation.
But the rule change as is, will make the game even more boring and will work to the advantage of teams that trap.

PS Ottawa is a pretty high scoring team. Course they just keep losing to the Leafs.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Are they trying to implement these rules come play-off time, or for next season?
I just heard about it this morning, so I don't know much.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by patri©k
perhaps 'ol Wendy will be making a comeback. LOL. It was great watching Wendel take out goalies. :)
Nah, I just want to see him take out Dmen behind the net like he did to that St Louis player. Bell I think his name was.

johnc

TRIBE Member

Make goalies fair game when they leave the crease. Sure they might get injured, once, then they learn to stay in the net until the coast is clear. No longer can they come out and play the puck as well as interfere with the forechecker. Now they will have to make that decision whether it's a good idea to get the puck or not. Don't take a skill away from the goalies. Let them handle the puck when they can. But if they choose to handle the puck, then they effectively become a skater. Of course goaltender interference calls should still be made for anyone hitting the goalie while making a save.

1. Goalies aren't trained to take hits, ppl will get hurt.
2. Every time a goalie gets hit, you'll get a brawl ala Edmonton/Atlanta last night.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: NHL Rule Changes

Originally posted by johnc
1. Goalies aren't trained to take hits, ppl will get hurt.
2. Every time a goalie gets hit, you'll get a brawl ala Edmonton/Atlanta last night.
That's the point. Once they get hurt, they'll quickly stop wandering. And they only brawl because the you can't hit the goalie now.

johnc

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KillaLadY

lol, both Lalime and Prusek are brutal at handling the puck.
Not Cechmanek brutal, but brutal none-the-less.

sk8

TRIBE Member
as I understood it the no goalie play behind the net was to try to eliminate or at least cut down on the use of the trap.

i think it's one of those things that has to be seen for a while and adjusted to before an evaluation of its effectiveness can be done.

two changes I would like to see:

no touch icing

visors for players entering the NHL

kuba

TRIBE Member
I dont agree. I tink that the cant handle the puck rule is great. One minor modification would be that they can handle the puck, but they can only make a backwards pass. Im sick of goalies taking the puck on a shootin, and firing it off the boards out of the zone.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sk8

I can see A LOT of playing bitching about this one, that's for sure. I remember watching the last Toronto/Ottawa game, almost everybody was wearing that, except Newendyk.

johnc

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: NHL Rule Changes

That's the point. Once they get hurt, they'll quickly stop wandering. And they only brawl because the you can't hit the goalie now.

The problem is that most teams only dress 2 goalies ... Atlanta actually ran out of goalies last night, between injuries and penalties. The league (and the GMs) would never go for it.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Good suggestions. Sure enough, Antropov crashed hard into the boards. Really exciting play. I hate those clips that Cherry shows every now and then. Fuck they look painful.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by sk8

two changes I would like to see:

no touch icing

1. yes!!!

2. this would work, but the NHLPA wouldnt allow it (yet). I dont see the big deal. At one point, they made helmets mandatory, and no one raised a stink (because it was grandfathered). I remember that McTavish dude was the only one w/o a helmet.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: Re: Re: NHL Rule Changes

Originally posted by johnc
The problem is that most teams only dress 2 goalies ... Atlanta actually ran out of goalies last night, between injuries and penalties. The league (and the GMs) would never go for it.
A goalie would get hurt once. Only once. Or have a near miss. Then if they see a player coming at them, they'll think twice about playing the puck. So they won't get hurt. No need for 3 goalies.

And how often does a goalie get in a fight? Maybe one or two a year?

exrboy

TRIBE Promoter
This once again proves whoever runs the NHL is dumb. Goalies not being allowed to handle the puck should not have even reached the "rule changes" table. I love watching goalies that can handle the puck...when you get someone like Brodeur that can loft the puck halfway up the ice...it's pretty impressive. Then you get a guy like Cujo who can't handle the puck worth shit. Goalies handling the puck = a more interesting game.

kuba

TRIBE Member
^^again I disagree.

Goalies might get hurt once, but they will be out for a long period of time.

Secondly, with goons like roenick and alfredsson (yes, I call hima goon based on the Tucker hit) playing, and with cheapshots being so prevalent, the possibility of an injury is even greater, but one that shouldnt happen.

Vote Quimby

TRIBE Member
So if you and I know that they might get hurt, then they should know that as well. Which means that they will have to decide for themselves if it's worth it or not to chase the puck.

These are grown men we are talking about. Not kids.

kuba

TRIBE Member
well why are we arguing? the rule isnt a rule, and it wont be for good reason. one simple trip thats not noticed by the ref and the goalie is out of position and boom. they score.