• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

NHL 2005-2006

Hal-9000

TRIBE Member
For talk of those 'other' teams, y'know?

Who 's picking who for conference champs?

I'm thinking San Jose in the West, Ottawa in the East. (that's painful to write)

Snapper

TRIBE Member
They're calling penalties like the NFL now.

The ref now indicates what the penalty is over a mic.

ktown

TRIBE Member
HOCKEY !!

:D:D:D

woooooooooooooooop

let the games begin *clinks beer*

i have my heart set on calgary this year
i want to see the leafs make it far too

yyeeeeeeeeeeeeeee hhaaaaaaaaaaaaaawwwwwwwwww

!!

pieces

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
We have a Piper down!!!!!

When the fuck is the NHL going to wake up and mandate the use of visors?

Last edited:

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Rangers took out Philly last night... what a great game. Nylander looked like a dolphin on sand going for that penalty shot. LOL. No worse than Allison going 1mph towards Hasek! :p

And Ovechkin.... damn. Potted two goals. Great start for the flying russian. Too bad Washington is going to B-L-O-W this year.

Biggest surprise last night... Calgary losing to Minny. Calgary looked like it had a serious comeback lined up... but then *poof*, nadda.

.......and then there's Vancouver. What a fucking case of abuse. I had $50 on the Canucks to win by 2. (I'm sure you know that the mutherfuckin' coyotes scored with like 45 seconds left to narrow the margin of victory to one goal)... lost bet. :( DERSCH!

tonight should be good.... free hockey preview on Rogers! :D

kuba

TRIBE Member
I thought for SURE that the rule was... 3 periods, 4 on 4 overtime and THEN shootouts. I think I'd like that more. 4 on 4 is good. How could they eliminate OT?

SJN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by kuba
How could they eliminate OT?
I hate the shootout. I understand they dont want ties anymore, and you can't play OT until you have a winner in the regular season (too many long games) --- but why not just extend OT to be 10, 15 or 20 minutes? You'll still have a few ties, but not very many -- and the teams can't really complain that they had to play a 4-overtime game and then play the next night.

dabeats

TRIBE Member
i think ovechkin is gonna show crosby up this year and win rookie of the year.

any word on mats?

Last edited:

StarvinMarvin

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Aerius Zension
Would the tune be different if Toronto won?

Too bad about Mats, I hope he's ok.

IF TORONTO WON I'D WOULDN'T BE BITTER BUT I DEFINATLEY STILL THINK THERE SHOULD BE 5 SHOOTERS IN THE SHOOTOUT

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
the oilers looked good last night. smyth and horcoff were all over the place and the PP is already a little better because the teams are respecting pronger's shot. ulanov looked like shit out there, but he is old and russian, so i'll give him a few games to get his legs back. hemsky played a good game as well, he has some great speed/moves, while torres and peca were pretty much non-existant. ethan moreau look great as well, but i see that he didn't spend the lockout trying to get rid of his stone hands. conklin was solid but not great, but is a definite improvement over tommy salo.

does anyone else HATE that new rule where they call a penalty anytime the puck is flipped over the glass in the defensive end? i could accept that for the last five or two minutes of a game, or in OT they would call it a penalty, but i think it is stupid stupid stupid.

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
why is everyone bitching about the shootout, it is because TO lost last night because of it? i LOVE it! i could understand if teams were charged with a loss and weren't given a point for it, but to me it is a perfect way to end the game....someone wins someone loses, it isn't like they are in grade school where the "we are all winners" mantra reigns supreme and it isn't like there are going to be shootouts in the playoffs.

if i had my way, a shootout/OT loss would be a loss plain and simple and standings would be based on winning percentage and divisional/conference winning precentage, kind of like baseball and basketball.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Muad'ib
why is everyone bitching about the shootout, it is because TO lost last night because of it?
I hate Toronto and I hate the shootout. Hockey is a team game. Shootouts are and individual thing. Never the 'twain shall meet

Operator

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by SJN
but why not just extend OT to be 10, 15 or 20 minutes? You'll still have a few ties, but not very many -- and the teams can't really complain that they had to play a 4-overtime game and then play the next night.
exactly, but i guess that's not exciting enough for the u.s fans .

DJ Red Lion

TRIBE Member
????????????????????

QUESTION......Which may have been answered already but I'm too lazy to search.

Will the shootout carry through to the playoffs in the NHL or are they sticking with the "Golden Goal" idea of the past?

I personally like the shootout idea for the regular season ... too many ties, but in the playoffs I feel the game should still be won by a goal in 5-5 (or whatever ... assuming penalties in OT.)

ANYONE?

Muad'ib

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Sleepy Giant
Hockey is a team game. Shootouts are an individual thing. Never the 'twain shall meet

Except in the rest of the world where the IIHF runs things that is. I also disagree with the whole "shootouts are an individual thing" argument, because by that logic we shouldn't have penalty shots either. If one team is penalized then they should be down a man and a penalty shot is one on one rather than a man advantage. All of that is aside from the fact that three shooters and a goalie have to combine to win a shootout which pretty much makes them a team.

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Muad'ib
Except in the rest of the world where the IIHF runs things that is. I also disagree with the whole "shootouts are an individual thing" argument, because by that logic we shouldn't have penalty shots either. If one team is penalized then they should be down a man and a penalty shot is one on one rather than a man advantage. All of that is aside from the fact that three shooters and a goalie have to combine to win a shootout which pretty much makes them a team.
A penalty shot is designed to restore a lost scoring opportunity. In most situations the infraction triggering the penalty shot denied the imminent scoring of a goal and/or the high likelihood of a goal being scored.

Apples and oranges. When is the last time you've seen a 4 person hockey team?