• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nfld. Premier Danny Williams vs. Paul McCartney on Larry King tonight

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Williams to tackle McCartney on Larry King Live

Canadian Press

St. John's — Newfoundland and Labrador Premier Danny Williams will appear on television Friday to debate the seal hunt with former Beatle Paul McCartney.
Mr. Williams has been invited as a guest on CNN's Larry King Live, to debate the issue with Paul McCartney and his wife Heather Mills McCartney.
Elizabeth Matthews, a spokeswoman for the Premier, said Mr. Williams will tape his appearance from St. John's Friday afternoon.
aPs="boxR";var boxRAC = fnTdo('a'+'ai',300,250,ai,'j',nc);
Ms. Matthews says the Premier's goal is to educate people about the seal hunt and counter a campaign of misinformation by well-funded groups that have a ”huge communications machinery.
Mr. McCartney is calling on the Canadian government to end the annual seal hunt off the East Coast.
The former Beatle and his wife rolled around on an ice floe in the Gulf of St. Lawrence on Thursday, posing with white seal pups as part of a high-profile protest mounted with the U.S. Humane Society.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/serv...y/Front/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20060303.wseal0303

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
aha this is going to be awesome. Williams was on NTV the other night talking about McCartney and that if the two talk he's going to educate him on something he obviously knows nothing about.

This should be fun.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
oh man I have to see this. PETA and all these celebs don't have a fuckin clue about this issue.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I can't believe this. Nobody should be allowed to spout this kind of misinformation on a news program just because they are a celebrity.

fucking bullshit where is the premier.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
American sensationalism (SP) - there was no way CNN was going to make Sir Paul look like an idiot.

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
"I'm really sorry the Mcartneys are being used like this"

Awesome.

I'm glad we're taking a stand about this.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
damm straight^^^

I like how Danny's talking about the why don't the McCartney's stick up for the chickens, cows and lambs. Paul and Heather - stick up for them!

Gold how he called them out on this being a photo op.

Danny to Paul and Heather - "I invite you to come and take up the plight of the cod being over fished by illegal euorpean fisherman"

Wiseman

TRIBE Member
I thought Danny did a good job but I think it's going to be spun in the mccartney's favour unfortunately. What is good is that all the organizations that actually have the authority to halt the hunt are informed and respect how it is currently run. The only problem is this stupid boycott.

agentRC4

TRIBE Member
unfortunately, I don't know too much about the boycott. I thought King Crab came from Alaskan waters not Canadian.

I guess you have to determine if the financial gains to the people of Nfld out weight the losses to the other industries.

I think that it does.

derek

TRIBE Member
agentRC4 said:
damm straight^^^

Danny to Paul and Heather - "I invite you to come and take up the plight of the cod being over fished by illegal euorpean fisherman"

ZING!

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I commend Williams for having the patience to put up with them. He wasn't really given a fair chance to speak (although he did waste time talking about ANTI TERRORISM that was pretty lame imo)

Overall it's clearly something the McCartney's don't know much about, let alone where they actually are in Canada.

Adam

TRIBE Member
agentRC4 said:
damm straight^^^
I like how Danny's talking about the why don't the McCartney's stick up for the chickens, cows and lambs. Paul and Heather - stick up for them!

This was mentioned last night, and I've read it in a few editorials this morning. Any misinformation about the seal issue aside, McCartney has been a longtime supporter of humane slaughter practices and is quite outspoken about the issue. There's no doubt that they harp* on the seal issue because they're cute, but it's just plain wrong to suggest they don't discuss the humane treatment of less-cute animals as well.

* sorry

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
...but I think part of the criticism is warranted, because here they are taking photo ops with a seal pup which is not even legal to hunt.

The picture they painted is that there's thousands of brutish Newfoundlanders just waiting for seal season to go bash the shit out of a bunch of cute little animals, and that it's a minor part of their income - so minor that the financial pay off can't be worth it. This is the propaganda campaign.

Newfoundland fisherman are by far the hardest working people in the country. Maybe the only thing that comes remotely close is tree planting. I don't agree with them fishing two months of the year then getting pogie for ten months of the year, but if you're going to argue the issue (referring to McCartney) you have to know the issue.

Fisherman get small windows to work each year, cod season, lobster season, crab season, shrimp season, seal seaon are all VERY SHORT seasons, and in order to make any living at all you pretty much have to be ready to jump into any one of those opportunities (and you have to be licensed etc. and there's only so many licenses) So you can argue that the seal hunt is only a portion of their income, but it's not less a fraction than any of the other types of "fishing". Sealing might not be a majority of their income, but it's a crucial fraction of short season they're able to work.

McCartney's argument that people don't eat seal meat is rubbish. HE doesn't eat seal meat, which isn't to say the indigenous people don't eat it or Newfoundlanders with a pretty limited diet don't eat it. The animal isn't killed for its coat only then thrown away. I really think there's under-education about this whole issue. Especially in the numbers of the seal population.

It just seems that the McCartney's have no problem with killing chickens etc "because we eat them!" but have a problem with killing seals because of some unfavourable footage they were shown. They still haven't shown their faces in Newfoundland, haven't observed even a minority of the actual hunt, or spoken to actual hunters about their methods. As Danny Williams said, the majority of the time bullets are used because it's easier, cleaner, and more efficient. There's not a pack of wild newfies going out there and clubbing a bunch of seals to sate some base desire to bludgeon something to death. I don't think they travel for days by boat in treacherous weather and risk their lives on the ice just because it's fun to club baby seals.

I haven't heard the McCartney's show any concern about mad cow or the way cattle is treated and slaughtered. This to me seems a slightly more alarming issue... or the way animals are raised inhumanely for restaurant chains etc. We're talking a lifetime of abuse and horrible deaths here, vs. a short hunting window among a well populated species in a wildlife setting... I would compare it to British fox hunting but that's done by the rich elite for fun, not for survival.

Anyway it seems the McCartney's can substitute rage and over-speaking for being informed on the subject, and it seems pretty stupid that they'd fly in for one day, pose for a photo op with a baby seal, shoot their mouths off and reveal how little they actually know, then expect anyone in Canada to take them seriously.

Adam

TRIBE Member
Good points, Chris.

In the past, most criticisms of the seal hunt I've heard have pointed to the fact that baby seals are illegal to hunt, but they're being hunted anyway. Clearly the animal rights side has no problem providing evidence that it's happening, and the hunting side has no problem providing evidence that it's not.

Also, although you may not have heard the McCartney's express concern about the treatment of cattle doesn't mean they're not doing it. It generally gets no media attention, hence the need to use devices like cute photo-ops to get some.