• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

NFL off season action

crave_e

TRIBE Member
49ers dumped Gerison Hearst, and Jeff Garcia and they are letting T Owens look around for a trade. WTF.
That's it...I need a new NFL team to follow.

Maybe the Redskins!!!
How can the Broncos give up Portis for Champ Bailey.

The skins now have Mark Brunell, Clinton Portis, and Phillip Daniels and the rumour on the street is they are after Troy Vincent, Shawn Springs and the Freak Jevon Kearse...and bringing back Joe Gibbs. Holy Shit.

What a crazy offseason.

Bailey deal done, assuring trade with Broncos

By JOSEPH WHITE, AP Sports Writer
March 3, 2004
ASHBURN, Va. (AP) -- The Champ Bailey deal with the Denver Broncos is done, assuring the Washington Redskins that Clinton Portis will join Mark Brunell and Phillip Daniels among the team's pre-free agency signings.

Bailey's agent, Jack Reale, said the deal was reached late Tuesday.

Bailey agreed to a seven-year, $63 million contract with the Broncos. The deal includes an $18 million signing bonus and $5 million in other bonuses, making it one of the richest contracts ever for a defensive player.

That cleared the way for the four-time Pro Bowl cornerback to be traded Wednesday to the Broncos for running back Portis, who ran for 1,500-plus yards each of his first two seasons. Denver also receives Washington's second-round draft pick this season.

League officials say the Portis-Bailey trade is the first involving two major players swapping teams since Oakland's Ken Stabler and Houston's Dan Pastorini changed cities on March 17, 1980.

Earlier this week, Portis agreed to an eight-year, $50.5 million contract with the Redskins.

Portis is tentatively scheduled to be introduced at a news conference Thursday, while Brunell is set to meet reporters on Wednesday as the Redskins begin their usual flurry of free agent activity.

The Redskins are sending a third-round pick to Jacksonville for Brunell, who agreed to a seven-year, $43 million contract with the Redskins last month.

Versatile defensive lineman Daniels was signed Tuesday after being flown in on owner Dan Snyder's jet. The Redskins were allowed to sign him early because he was cut Monday by the Chicago Bears.

There's more to come. Defensive linemen Jevon Kearse, Cornelius Griffin and Robaire Smith, cornerbacks Shawn Springs and Troy Vincent, tight end Walter Rasby and punter Chris Gardocki are among players the Redskins were set to pursue when free agency officially began Wednesday morning.

``We're going to have the plane going nonstop,'' said coach Joe Gibbs, who didn't have to deal with free agency or the salary cap during his first stint with the team.

Gizmo

TRIBE Member
A shutdown corner is harder to get than a running back.

Anyone in the Denver system can run for 1,200 yards plus. They've had 4 runners do it in the last 5 years. Terrell Davis, Mike Anderson, Olandis Gary, Clinton Portis. They'll either trade for Corey Dillon or go with Quentin Griffin as the featured back, as he's a burner.

Bailey is arguably the best corner in football. (He is for me) He's young and takes away one side of the field. The Redskins D sucked this year, they couldn't pass rush to save their lives giving QBs all day and he still blanketed receivers.

Finally Shanahan can draft and develop running backs, but he doesn't have the same skill at CBs. Look at some of the stiffs they've drafted, Deltha O'Neal, Willie Middlebrooks etc.

This is a good deal for Denver. Resigned Al Wilson, Trevor Pryce in the middle, Bailey at CB. Their D should be much improved. Plus they get a 2nd round pick from Washington.

quantumize

TRIBE Member
i heard warrner wants out of the rams and guess who needs offence desperatley and has contacted him... the baltimore ravens

if they get him they'll have amazing defence [ray lewis]
amazinf running game [the other lewis]
and a good offence [warrner]

as for portis i think the redskins have to do better next year...they can't do much worse and portis is a gr8 addition

as for owens leavinf the 9ers i saw that comming. you can't tell off the offensive coordinater on monday night football live in from of the whole ress

owens has a bad attitide and he is eclipsed by randy moss in both talent and in attitude.

you won't see the vikings dumping moss any time soon, because he has a good attitude and the BEST hands in the NFL. period.

vikings all the way baby

[and of not the saints look dangerous too]

[and the jets always gotta love the jets]

Zorro

TRIBE Member
The ball appears to be in Joey Galloway's court, so to speak.

Keyshawn Johnson has agreed to a four-year, $20 million contract with the Cowboys, reports ESPN.com's John Clayton, setting the stage for a possible long-rumored trade that would also include Galloway and the Buccaneers.

However, the swap that would give both receivers fresh starts in new environments can only be completed if Galloway and Tampa Bay can agree on a new contract as well. And negotiations between the two sides have been slow to develop, the Fort Worth Star-Telegram reported.

However, the Keyshawn side of the deal appears to be done.

"Keyshawn is looking forward to getting back together with his former coach, Bill Parcells," Johnson's agent, Jerome Stanley, told ESPN.com's John Clayton.

On Tuesday the Bucs positioned themselves to be an active participant in free agency by releasing five players, including tight end Ken Dilger and linebacker Dwayne Rudd, to trim the team's payroll by nearly $3 million.

Receiver Karl Williams, tight end Roland Williams and safety Than Merrill also were cut. The Bucs created additional room under the NFL's $80.6 million salary cap by restructuring the contract of offensive lineman Kerry Jenkins, who had been due a $1 million roster bonus on Monday.

Johnson, who is under contract to make $5 million in base salary in 2004, could make $9-10 million in the first year of the new deal, including bonuses, base salary and incentives, according to the Star-Telegram.

From the beginning, the receiver-for-receiver trade hinged on the Cowboys' restructuring the final four years of Johnson's eight-year, $56 million contract and Galloway and the Bucs re-doing the remaining three years of his seven-year, $42 million deal.

Buccaneers general manager Bruce Allen has said that he would be receptive to a draft pick in return for Johnson if the Bucs couldn't reach an agreement with Galloway.

ESPN's Ed Werder reports that the teams are discussing a pick in 2005 in the event Galloway cannot agree to terms with the Bucs. If the trade can't be worked out, the Cowboys also could wait until the Bucs release Johnson before April 1, when Johnson is due a $1 million bonus.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones, however, told the newspaper on Tuesday that trading a pick was not part of their discussions. "We need Galloway to get it done," Jones said.

And while Galloway's agent, Leigh Steinberg, told the newspaper that his client understands that he will have to accept much less than the $6.3 million in base salary than his current contract calls for next season, the Buccaneers have not yet come up with an acceptable offer, according to the paper.

Currently, the Bucs have only offered Galloway a one-year, $1 million deal, according to Werder.

While the speedy Galloway was probably going to be waived because his production hasn't matched his salary, he would give the Buccaneers the deep threat they have lacked. He did average 19.8 yards for his 34 receptions in Dallas last season.

And Johnson, a former Pro Bowler who was deactivated for the final six games of the season because of his stormy relationship with Jon Gruden, gets a chance to repair his career and image with a coach and staff with which he is familiar.

Johnson had his best years in the NFL with the Jets in 1998 and 1999 when Parcells was his head coach. Last season, Johnson had just 45 catches for 600 yards and three touchdowns.

Coming off a 7-9 finish that left them out of the playoffs for the first time since 1998, the Bucs are trying to clear as much money as possible to fill needs this offseason for offensive linemen, receivers, tight ends and possibly a running back.

Fifteen Buccaneers, including seven-time Pro Bowl defensive tackle Warren Sapp, became free agents Wednesday.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

redeyes

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by crave_e
49ers dumped Gerison Hearst, and Jeff Garcia and they are letting T Owens look around for a trade. WTF.
That's it...I need a new NFL team to follow.

damn. that's san fran's whole offense. letting go of Garrison Hearst is news to me. hopefully, they get somebody good for Owens. i think they can go with Tim Rattay at QB. he looked impressinve in his limited playing time this year.

this past season was tough if you're a 49er fan especially after a promising 2002 season.

craze_e, don't give up them. i'm going to stick by them until the day i die.

peace

OhNo!

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by quantumize
i hate this time of year because it's soooo long until football

[i would love to see keyshaw a cowboy]
ya who's gonna grab kj? maimi should make a move. either them or buffalo,get another wr for bledsoe to look downfield at before he gets sacked.

as for portis we'll see.wash seems like the bermuda triangle for good nfl players and i don't think brunnel or gibbs are gonna make that much of a difference really,meh we'll see.

if kearse stays healthy it might help philly get to the championship.and i wouldn't be suprised if to went to either TB or DAL.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Kearse is overrated and overpayed. The guy has a decent rookie year and then teams got a book on him and control him with ease. He has one move - rush straight up the field. No counter whatsoever and he has no clue how to use his superlong arms to keep blockers away or shed them if they lock on. He's good for 10 sacks but so what. The LBs are alwyas forced to cover for him in the run game.

The Titans system made him look better than he is. He's also made of glass always hurting his fricken foot or whatever. Good luck to him playing 10+ games on that shitty field.

I'm glad the Broncos FINALLY got a star corner but at what price? Sure backs do well in their system but it's just as much the back as the system no matter what the retarted media says. Griffin is not as good as Portis, Anderson is getting older (31), and if the Broncos do not have a star a RB their passing offense with their current reciever set they will not do much better than last year. Portis single handedly won a few games for them last year. I'm not sure if Bailey will. He certainly didn't in Washington.

KJ in Dallas? Are they mad giving him a 4year 20mil contract? He is a old, slow possession reciever and a softball sized lockerroom tumour. It's mind boggling how teams continue to spend big bucks on old veterans who are shells of their former selves.

I hope someone gets Warren Sapp to finally shutup this year too. Wishfull thinking.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by OhNo!
ya who's gonna grab kj? maimi should make a move. either them or buffalo,get another wr for bledsoe to look downfield at before he gets sacked.

Learn to Read. ;)

It states above the Johnson has signed with the cowboys now it pending a deal that would send Galloway to the Bucs.

Johnson & Parcells reunited.

Go COWBOYS!

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Free-agent quarterback Jeff Garcia has been offered a contract by the Cleveland Browns, although Tim Couch hasn't been asked to turn in his orange helmet just yet.

Cleveland's incumbent quarterback said Monday he's surprised the Browns offered the 34-year-old Garcia a two-year deal worth $8 million. The package includes a signing bonus of between $4 million and $5 million.

But Couch said Monday he remains optimistic he'll be able to work out a new deal and remain with the Browns.

"I still want to be here," Couch said after working out at the team's training facility. "I still want to be part of this organization. I still believe in my teammates here and believe they can get it done."

As Garcia weighs Cleveland's offer, his father dropped in on the fray Monday. In an interview with his hometown newspaper The Dispatch of Gilroy, Calif., Bobby Garcia said his son will sign a multi-year deal with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers later this week.

Bobby Garcia pegged the deal at between $15 million and $20 million, The Dispatch reported.

Garcia's agent has told ESPN.com that a deal with the Bucs is not imminent. A team spokesman told The Dispatch that no news conference has been scheduled and that the team would not discuss Bobby Garcia's comments.

Back to Couch. The team's original offer would have cut his salary from $7.6 million to $3 million in 2004 and from $8 million to $3.5 million in 2005. The package also reportedly included $3 million in bonuses and incentives tied to the team's record.

Couch and his agent, Tom Condon rejected the offer. Couch has made more than $30 million in bonuses and salaries since being drafted No. 1 overall in 1999..

"I was a little disappointed with the first offer," Couch said. "I didn't expect it to be that big of a pay cut. We'll see what happens."

Couch added that he is more uncertain than ever if he'll be back with the Browns.

"At this point, I have no idea," he said. "But I'm still optimistic. I have no idea what Garcia is going to do or who he is going to sign with or what's going to happen."

Garcia met with the Browns last week and was impressive in interviews but did not perform on the field, according to the Cleveland Plain Dealer. The Browns also brought Drew Henson in for a tryout last week.

San Francisco released Garcia last Tuesday after he refused a $4 million reduction in his 2004 salary.

Garcia also has received interest from the Atlanta Falcons and Dallas Cowboys. The 34-year-old quarterback was reportedly in Tampa, Fla., where he was considering his options with those other teams, including the Bucs.

In Atlanta, Garcia would serve purely as a backup to Michael Vick, while in Tampa Bay, Garcia could compete with Brad Johnson for the starting job.

A source told the Plain Dealer that the Browns were hopeful Garcia would return to Cleveland on Monday to accept the offer, and that the dealings would be resolved in one way or another before Wednesday.

Couch said he knew Cleveland was interested in Garcia but didn't expect the Browns to make an offer.

"I was surprised a little, but I think if they're definitely going to go with another guy, then Jeff is capable of coming in here and getting the job done," he said.

Garcia had been the 49ers' starter since 1999 when Steve Young retired. In 2000, he set a team single-season passing record with 4,278 yards and threw 31 touchdown passes.

He passed for 2,456 yards and 16 TDs despite missing four games with injuries last season. Garcia had a quarterback rating of 113.0 in December, throwing for 10 touchdowns and running for four.

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Zorro
Learn to Read. ;)

It states above the Johnson has signed with the cowboys now it pending a deal that would send Galloway to the Bucs.

Johnson & Parcells reunited.

Go COWBOYS!
the johnson for galloway deal is off. joey wouldn't re-do his deal which would have been nececery to pull the trade off.

and oh yeah... beware the lions bitches... they've already moved to address the biggest holes in the roster and i don't think they're done yet.

Restore the Roar!

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Terrel Owens does not want to play for the Ravens. Haha what an idiot. He lost his free agency (because he and his agent are idiots) and the giant signing bonus he would have received from the Eagles. The Raven's won't let him go without a fight.

After the free agency fuckup the Eagles offered a 5th rounder and James Thrash. The Ravens offered a 2nd rounder. I'm glad SF took the better deal. Owens has filed a grievance and says he should be able to play for whomever (the Eagles) he wants. Sorry TO, SF pwn3d your rights and could do whatever they want with you.

You can probably tell I can't stand TO. Talent or not he is coach killer and bad for any team.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

crave_e

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by H2Whoa
Terrel Owens does not want to play for the Ravens. Haha what an idiot. He lost his free agency (because he and his agent are idiots) and the giant signing bonus he would have received from the Eagles. The Raven's won't let him go without a fight.

After the free agency fuckup the Eagles offered a 5th rounder and James Thrash. The Ravens offered a 2nd rounder. I'm glad SF took the better deal. Owens has filed a grievance and says he should be able to play for whomever (the Eagles) he wants. Sorry TO, SF pwn3d your rights and could do whatever they want with you.

You can probably tell I can't stand TO. Talent or not he is coach killer and bad for any team.
I was a fan of TO early in his 49ers career, but now I can't stand him. I heard he skipped his physical with the Ravens, what a pre-madonna.... Who does this guy think he is???

Ray Lewis is going to kill this punk.
If he stays with the Raven, Ray Lewis will make him his bitch.
I can't wait to see TO costing the Ravens some yardage with excessive celebration, and then Ray Lewis kills him on the sideline.

or

If he gets out of the trade....Ray Lewis knocking his head off while TO runs a crossig pattern.

:mad:

TECHno addict

TRIBE Member
Looks like Garcia is on his way to Tampa Bay......I personally think he can win the starting position over Johnson, his scrambling ability will be the clincher.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Likely marking an end to the Tim Couch Era after just five seasons, the Cleveland Browns on Monday night reached a contract agreement with former San Francisco 49ers quarterback Jeff Garcia, ESPN.com has learned.

Garcia

The stunning move came late in the evening and followed a day in which several print and broadcast reports had Garcia prepared to sign with the Tampa Bay Bucs. Some of the reports, in fact, quoted Garcia's father. But sources told ESPN.com early in the evening that those reports were false and that the quarterback was leaning in another direction.

That direction turned out to be Cleveland. The Browns visited with Garcia last Friday and quickly began their pursuit of the five-year veteran. Acquiring the three-time Pro Bowl performer all but assures that Couch -- the first overall choice in the '99 draft and a player who averaged a dozen starts a year during his Cleveland tenure -- will be released.

Garcia, 34, will sign a four-year contract worth $25 million, ESPN.com confirmed.

The Browns are believed to have made Couch two proposals within the past week, with neither successfully addressing his demands. Couch was to have earned a base salary of $7.6 million for the 2004 season, but all parties involved understood that number would have to be adjusted for the former University of Kentucky star to remain in Cleveland.

Even before the news about Garcia's agreement, Couch said he was surprised that the Browns had made an offer to Garcia. Couch said he wanted to remain in Cleveland, but did not want to take a salary cut.

The team's original offer would have cut his salary from $7.6 million to $3 million in 2004 and from $8 million to $3.5 million in 2005. The package also reportedly included $3 million in bonuses and incentives tied to the team's record.

Couch

Couch and his agent, Tom Condon rejected the offer. Couch has made more than $30 million in bonuses and salaries since being drafted.

Released by the 49ers last Tuesday afternoon for salary-cap considerations, Garcia quickly became an option for several teams seeking to bolster their quarterback position. In addition to the Browns, Garcia met with Atlanta officials on Saturday and Bucs executives on Sunday and Monday.

In an interview with his hometown newspaper, the Gilroy (Calif.) Dispatch, Bobby Garcia said his son was going to sign a multi-year deal with the Bucs later this week. Bobby Garcia pegged the deal at between $15 million and $20 million, The Dispatch reported.

Garcia's agent has told ESPN.com that a deal with the Bucs is not imminent.

The deal with the Browns came together after Garcia was assured he was being signed to assume the starting job. It is likely that Cleveland will retain Kelly Holcomb, recovering from recent shoulder surgery, as the main backup. Certainly the deal represents a fairly dramatic change of philosophy by Browns coaches and officials, who said their preference and intent was to strike a new deal with Couch.

There have been suggestions, though, that Couch and head coach Butch Davis did not see eye-to-eye on several non-financial issues. Given the amount of influence Davis has in the Cleveland football operation, he obviously endorsed the addition of Garcia.

Signed as a free agent in 1999 after a successful career in the CFL, Garcia started in 71 of his 74 appearances with the 49ers. He completed 1,449 of 2,360 passes for 16,408 yards, with 113 touchdown passes, 56 interceptions and a passer rating of 88.3.

In three of his seasons, the former San Jose State star threw for more than 3,000 yards; he had a 4,000-yard season in 2000. He twice threw more than 30 touchdown passes.

Garcia earned in excess of $20 million during the past two seasons -- more than any other NFL quarterback. He carried a 2004 salary-cap charge of more than $12 million, and the inability to agree on a reworked contract led to his departure from San Francisco. His contract stipulated that because he achieved predetermined performance and playing time benchmarks, Garcia was to be paid an '04 base salary nearly commensurate to that of the figure for a "franchise" quarterback.

In addition, the contract gave Garcia the right to void the final three years of a San Francisco deal that ran through 2007.

Garcia and the 49ers negotiated on and off for months. But a source said that, in the end, there technically was no offer on the table from San Francisco officials. The club had made what was believed to be its last proposal more than a month ago.

Couch, 26, started in 59 games for the Browns and completed 1,025 of 1,714 passes for 11,131 yards, with 64 touchdown passes and 67 interceptions

fleaflo

TRIBE Member
Detroit Lions roar : 'meow'

KJ is a huge target of a possession reciever who would give his qb a very large 3rd down or short yardage target. I also read that KJ's tenacity when blocking linebackers or db's is held in very high regard by the Tuna.

Terrell Owens, I thought that the sharpie incident was pretty lame/funny, however the pom-poms will forever live in my endzone celebration hall of fame. That was pure comedic genius. Worst endzone celebration was the icky shuffle. Just gross.

The Browns had to step up when the Bucs came a callin and now Garcia is getting paid. This whole Couch affair reeks of Trent Dilfer and the Bucs.

I think that the loudest noise being made is by the Patriots and their total disinterest in doing deals this early in free agency. I'm paying attention to everything they do this offseason.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kuba

TRIBE Member
Garner is the closest to Sanders, Barry in terms of "moves".

I personally think Owens should stand up for his right(s) and play for whomever he wants, as a Free Agent. All players under the NFLPA should be protected no matter what they have done on or off the field. The trade to Baltimore was bullshit - because it was probably done to spite the Owens, and trading him to a team he didn't want to go to. The offer by the Eagles - a 5th rd and Thrash wasn't anything to write home about either, but I'm sure they could've settled on something else.

Go Owens!

-Mercury-

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip

I personally think Owens should stand up for his right(s) and play for whomever he wants, as a Free Agent. All players under the NFLPA should be protected no matter what they have done on or off the field. The trade to Baltimore was bullshit - because it was probably done to spite the Owens, and trading him to a team he didn't want to go to. The offer by the Eagles - a 5th rd and Thrash wasn't anything to write home about either, but I'm sure they could've settled on something else.

Go Owens!

what have you been smoking??? garner is the closest to barry??? what??? not even close..... dante hall, portis, LT and a whole lot of others do much better imitations.

and yeah, lets just let all the players choose who they play for... thats a good idea. i don't see any problems there at all. haha wow, i hope your really stoned right now.

those trade scenarios aren't even close, the second rounder is a much better trade. thrash is a decent 3rd or 4th reciever at best on a good team, and this upcoming draft ifs the best ever for recievers. you could get a much better reciever than thrash with that 2nd rounder.

H2Whoa

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip

Go Owens!
Garner is not really a moves guy ala Barry. However he may be the most natural RB in the league. He has great vision and patience and a feel for the position most backs do not have. He was super fast too (now he is just fast). I remember him being awesome @ Tenn in college too.

Owens is not a free agent. He missed the deadline. The NFLPA agreed to the freeagent rules Owens is subject to. He was even given a warning a week and a half before it was due. SF can do whatever they want with his rights and they should. Why should they settle? Better trading him to a AFC team than a potential NFC rival.

Fuck Owens. He should shut the fuckup, stop getting hurt and stop dropping the ball. Until then he's just another waste-of-talent-bitch.

moose-meat

TRIBE Member
You'all best B gettin yer asses on the LIONS band-wagon now !!
They have turned the corner and are on their way back.
[ I hope ] :(