1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Nfl 2008-2009.

Discussion in 'Sports' started by kuba, Mar 4, 2008.

1. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Some major off-season moves already!

So it's never to early to start a thread, talk about minicamps, the draft, free agency, coaching changes, etc.

So far we have Favre retiring. I'm a little puzzled about this, but I think this was the worsti 13-3 team I've ever seen. That final pick by Favre sent him back to earth, and he realized w/ that receiving corps, he's not going to better this season (and with a tougher schedule)

RRRRRRRRRRex grossman is the man in chi-town, with Griese going to Tampa.
    ?!?!?

Antonio Gates probably won't start the year, and might be hurt for more than we think.

Alge Crumpler went to Tennesee- good fit with the Titans and for Vince to get a sure-handed TE (didn't he have one already?). Team to watch in 08 for sure.

Moss back to the Pats, Spygate thing looming (although haven't heard much about what's happening now), Assante Samuel leaves the Pats, and yet they will still be a force in 08, just not almost perfect.

Coughlin gets a huge contract extension.

What else... what else.... that's all I remember. NFL is my favorite league ON-season and OFF-season for sure.

2. Snapple

Snapple TRIBE Member

GOOD NIGHT AND GOD BLESS BRETT FAVRE! Packer Nation will miss you.

3. Snapple

Snapple TRIBE Member

comments like that make me wonder if you're qualified to start an NFL thread. the worst 13 -3 team you've ever seen? he realized with his receiving corps he's not going to get better? a tougher schedule?

do you even watch football?

4. -Rudebwoy_Chin-

-Rudebwoy_Chin- TRIBE Member

The Burner Turner went to the Falcons. Will be interesting to see how he will fair fantasy-wise. Wonder what his ADP will be?

Jerry porter to the Jags, Bruce to the niners, stallworth to browns (sick receiving corps jayzeus) and berrian to minny

I cant wait to do like a million fantasy drafts.

5. Snapple

Snapple TRIBE Member

i dunno about Turner. most hyped player to ever of accomplished .... really nothing so far. we'll see. big bucks on running backs isn't necessarily the way to go. they burn out too fast. get a good line and you can plug almost anybody back there. look at all those years of the Broncos rein. or the Seahawks until they lost Hutchinson. or the Vikings with Hutchinson. or what the Jets are up to this off season.

or even the Packers.

but I think Grant's the real deal! if not him then Jackson. if not him then Wynn. oh screw it ... GO PACK GO !!!

6. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

can you explain yourself or is he just WRONG? lol

7. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

No, never. I never watch it. Weak conference, weaker division. He was LUCKY to get to 13-3. Pure luck. The giants game showed everyone just the real Favre.

Lets see, detroit twice, minnesota twice, chicago twice, that's an easy 4-2 right there. Oakland, st louis, Carolina and KC, that's an easy 3-1.

Here's their "stellar" opponents in 07/08

phil
    sd
    nyg
    minn
    chi
    wash
    den
    kc
    minn
    car
    det
    dall
    oak
    stl
    chi
    det

give me a fucking break.

8. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

ohhhh. I see. A typical Packers fan.. Should've seen that objective view coming.

9. Snapple

Snapple TRIBE Member

okay .. the worst 13 - 3 team he's ever seen. that's subjective i suppose so i'll just say he's wrong on that one. period.

but the wideouts are either already stalwarts (i.e. Driver) or serious up and coming threats (Jennings and Jones) or recovering alcoholics that probably still have a lot left in the tank (Robinson). you can't say the Giants had a better WR corp and they won the freakin SB.

and they don't REALLY have a tougher schedule than last year when you sit down and look at it. they're suppose to, in theory, but don't imho. it's certainly no more challenging than the one they just played.

so there you have it.

personally I think he's a Bears fan hence his disdain for an organization as classy as the Packers.

!

10. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

In case you aren't bored at work, 91-101 combined record of their opponents.

11. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

HA HA Bears fan.

I'll be honest, and upfront. I'm a fan of the NFL, don't have a favorite team (lost that when Sanders retired, I stopped watching the league for 2 years, came back but don't have a team I cheer for)

I've said before I have teams I hate, and the Pack isn't close on that list. (definetly admire what they did in 07/08, but got lucky with an easy end to their schedule). Played well, no doubt, but glad they got smoked by the G-men only b/c they would've been had in the finals.

Nobody predicted the Giants to win, what an amazing end to an amazing year.

12. Snapple

Snapple TRIBE Member

and here's our 08 sked:

home - bears, lions, vikings, falcons, panthers, cowboys, texans and colts

away - bears, lions, vikings, saints, bucs, seahawks, jags and titans

tougher sked ... puleeeeez.

13. Snapple

Snapple TRIBE Member

by the way Kuba ... animosity makes for a good start to a good thread ... good work!

14. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Without Favre, no way the Pack are 13-3 this year. We can agree on that, right? You're telling me good work?

comments like that make me wonder if you're qualified to start an NFL thread. the worst 13 -3 team you've ever seen? he realized with his receiving corps he's not going to get better? a tougher schedule?

do you even watch football?

15. Snapple

Snapple TRIBE Member

yeah. good work. good thread. good battle of opinions.

and yes, you're right. with Brett at the helm there's no way we would've gone 13 -3 this year with our current squad. easily 14 - 2 if not better.

now, with Aaron 'Air' Rodgers at the helm, 13 - 3 is a reasonable expectation.

16. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

I'll hold you to that! (14-2 and Buck Rodgers!!)

I was surprised they didn't make a run for Derek Anderson. Plays in the same weather, has roughly a similar team (decent WRs, good RB).. or they didn't go for Brady Quinn last year in the Draft. (not that he's shaping up to be anyone special).

Questions:

Which team will make the biggest turnaround this year?

Will Adrian Peterson continue his amazing running?

And, who would you draft #1 overall in a fantasy draft! (I know, its way early for that one)

17. StarvinMarvin

StarvinMarvin TRIBE Member

there some serious crack smoking going on in here

18. Snapple

Snapple TRIBE Member

no no, it was 14-2 with Brett.

13 - 3 with Buck.

twiggy.

twiggy.

twiggy.

GO PACK GO !!!

19. kuba

kuba TRIBE Member

Sit back, relax, take a whifff!!

20. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

21. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

LIONS. you gotta believe....

and smoke some crack

22. Snapple

Snapple TRIBE Member

yeah. as soon as the Lions and the Super Bowl are mentioned in a sentence other than 'who will never make it to the Super Bowl' then its time to admit yu have a problem and go into rehab.

23. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

And the kicker is , the LIONS will make it to the Super Bowl , the year after I die.

Damn , I see the Pats signed Moss for 3 years.

24. kmsmith

kmsmith TRIBE Member

A question about NFL contracts for anyone who can answer: They were all over this on sports radio yesterday because apparently the Eagles offered him a deal for more years.

My question: In a league without guaranteed contracts, why does it matter what length the deal is? For instance, the Steelers give the Bunjamin a ten year deal worth 108 million, but for me it shouldn't matter because he can be cut after one year and thus nullifying the deal. Can someone enlighten me on where I am wrong on this. I must be wrong somewhere, lest noone on sports radio would be talking about how they couldn't believe that Moss turned down a longer deal. To me, longer deal means NOTHING.

On a side note, the Browns are looking incredible for the upcoming year. If Crennel can motivate Lions cast-off Rogers to compete and lose a couple pounds, he will help. Picking up Stallworth bolsters an already great offence. Just too bad we don't have any draft picks this year. In my opinion, we need secondary and a breakout running back. I like Lewis and all, but to me he is a third down back, a grinder. I want a guy with speed who can outrun people and not just run right through them.....

Regardless, if anyone can answer the contract question for me, I'd appreciate it....

25. Bernnie Federko

Bernnie Federko TRIBE Member

How the fuck do the Bears decide to resign Grossman? And how do they not go after Turner when they have to replace shitty pants Benson? WTF!

:(