• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Nfl 13/14

kuba

TRIBE Member
Harvin to Seattle, Alex Smith to the Chiefs, Boldin to SF and the merry-go round goes round-and-round.

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
Today is the start of the league year, thus the start of free agency.

I think Alex Smith going to the Chiefs is a bigger trade than either of those WR. Chiefs landing smith makes so much sense, and puts them in a great position to draft Leon Sandcastle with the #1 pick. But really, the Cheifs could be real contenders in that division this year. They can take Joeckel or maybe Sharrif Floyd to plug immediate holes. They resigned Bowe, and Charles is an Andy Reid type back. If their win total is under 6, I like the over.

There have been a lot of teams cleaning house and some big* (but long in the tooth) names have been released: *subjective

Charles Woodson
James Harrison
De'Angelo Hall
Dunte Robinson
Beanie Wells
Cullen Jenkins
Dan Connor
Adrian Wilson
Eric Winston
Michael Turner
John Abraham

Teams with cap room:

Cleveland
Indy
Cinci
Philadelphia
Tampa

Teams with little or no cap room:
Dallas
Washington
Pittsburgh
New Orleans
Carolina

I can't speak on the needs of many teams, but the Eagles have room to acquire players, but Nnamdi is 15m against the cap, and is guaranteed $4. If he doesn't rework his contract I see him getting cut. DRC is a free agent and wants 8m+, so it is unlikely that both or either of them will be back this year. If they are both gone before the draft, the eagles are in a tough spot with the #4 pick. Do they take Fischer (OT) from Central Michigan? Dee Milliner (CB) from Alabama, or Dion Jordan, (DE/OLB) from Oregon. I think the Eagles maybe even move down from the #4 spot and grab best available (Chance Warmack), then with the 3rd pick in the second round they take Desmond Troufont (CB) from Washington.

In my opinion there is no CLEAR #1 in this year's draft. I do believe the Chiefs have really helped themselves by trading for Smith. Rumor has it that the Patriots want Matt Cassel back.

P.S. You Got Nnamdi'd

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SJN

TRIBE Member
Its amazing how far Nnamdi has fallen, give he was considered the league's top shutdown corner only 3 years.

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
Pranksters Record Two NFL GMs Discussing Free Agency Over The Phone

On Friday afternoon, Buffalo GM Buddy Nix and Tampa Bay GM Mark Dominik shot the shit for about six minutes. They talked about their impending free agents, their frustration with a new three-day negotiating window, and the major handicap of not having a franchise quarterback. They had no idea that a pair of pranksters had set the whole chat up, or that those pranksters were still on the line, listening in.

Remember the Domino's prank? Call two pizza places, merge them together on a conference call, and let confusion reign. That's basically what happened here, only with more Buddy Nix complaining about how much the Bills are paying Ryan Fitzpatrick.

On Thursday afternoon, the pranksters called Buffalo's publicly listed front office phone number. They claimed to be Bucs GM Mark Dominik and asked to be transferred to Buddy Nix. To their surprise, they were. Panicking, they hung up as soon as he answered.

Then Buddy Nix called them back.

And he kept calling back. Into Thursday evening, resuming again on Friday morning, Nix's personal number kept lighting up their cell phone. They ignored it, until they came up with a plan. They would call Mark Dominik, claim to be Buddy Nix, and send the two on a phantom game of phone tag.

So they rang up the Buccaneers, but while on with Dominik's secretary, Buddy Nix called again. It was perfect. They answered Nix's call, then fell silent while they were patched through to Dominik. They put the call on speaker, recorded with a second cell phone, and sat back and listened to the fun.

(The full phone call can be found at the bottom of this post.)

The conversation starts off with some confusion. "Dadgum, son," the septuagenarian Nix laughs, "I've called you back a hundred times!" Dominik assures him that it must have been a wrong number, he would have called him back "in a heartbeat. I wouldn't mess around with that."

The two exchange cell phone numbers (which we've edited out), so that this never happens again.

Then the GMs get down to bitching about a new NFL rule that allows teams to begin negotiating with agents at midnight Friday night, even though players can't officially sign until Tuesday afternoon. Dominik says all the three-day rule does is "give leverage to the agents to ask for more money." Nix agrees and says the thing to do is to "fight to get this done away with."

Both GMs say they can't get any of their players to agree during the window, as their agents are using the three days to see what the market will bear for them. "None of mine are signing," says Dominik. "Not one of them. They don't want to sign."

Nix and Dominik seem to have had previous exploratory discussions on available players, because once they get around to what they've got cooking on the trade front, Nix knows who they are before Dominik names them. Two of them are mentioned in the call--corner E.J. Biggers ("I still haven't decided what to do with the corner yet") and tackle Jamon Meredith ("No one's really called me back on Jamon, to be honest.")

Nix has no interest. "We're pretty set with tackles," he tells Dominik. "We've got six draft picks, and hell, we need to gain something, not give them up." (Nix is also something of a lame duck in Buffalo, with Doug Whaley's future ascension a fait accompli.)

When talk turns to the Bills' moves, Nix says he's not planning on doing much because he's handcuffed by Ryan Fitzpatrick. "We're still struggling here with our quarterback...We're not really struggling--he's going to have to do something, or we'll have to."

More Nix on Fitzpatrick: "We just can't afford to pay that kind of money for a guy who's fighting for probably a backup job."

The two acknowledge how many problems can be solved just by having a dependable QB. "If you get one, everything's easy," Nix says. As director of player personnel for the Chargers, he recalls having Drew Brees and Philip Rivers. In the draft, you can "take the best on the board. Don't worry about it."

Dominik recalls telling Colts GM Ryan Grigson, "Look, you got the best gig in the National Football League. I mean, you got a quarterback the first pick, you're a genius for 10 years now."

Below is the full recording of Nix's and Dominik's phone call, starting with Dominik's secretary patching them through. (There's a roughly 10-second gap at the 2:19 mark, when the pranksters received another call and hurriedly canceled it.) This is how your free agency sausage is made--GMs casually touching base, inquiring what's in the works, commiserating over shared frustrations, bitching about agents and players, and promising to keep in touch if anything changes.

Free agency begins at 4 p.m. EDT.

Update, 12:40 p.m.: The Bills respond, sort of:

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
I freely admit to chugging the Nnamdi Kool-Aid, and wish things went differently, but the Eagles cut him just minutes before free agency started. Clears almost 10m in cap space, but he gets a nice parting gify of $4m from the Eagles for this year, and can still sign with a new team.

Eagles Part Ways With CB Asomugha

Eagles Part Ways With CB Asomugha

On the opening of the 2013 league year and the start of free agency, the Eagles have announced the release of cornerback Nnamdi Asomugha, who was signed at the opening of free agency during the summer of 2011. Asomugha, 31, played two seasons with the Eagles, playing in all 32 games and recording four interceptions.

After earning Pro Bowl honors each year from 2008-2010, Asomugha received no such honors during his next two seasons with the Eagles. The release of Asomugha will reportedly save the team about $9 million in salary cap space.

"Coach Kelly and I each had a chance to speak with Nnamdi earlier and he took the news with a lot of class," said Eagles general manager Howie Roseman. "We expected nothing less than that from him. He has been a true pro on and off the field for this organization and our community and we wish him all the best as he continues his NFL career. We spoke to his representatives at the Combine about his future status with the team and wanted to take time to analyze and make a decision. In the end, Coach and I both felt we needed to move in a different direction at the cornerback position for 2013 and beyond."

With Asomugha released and Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie hitting free agency, the Eagles currently have six cornerbacks on the roster: Brandon Boykin, Curtis Marsh, Brandon Hughes, Trevard Lindley, Eddie Whitley and Chris Hawkins.

Make sure to follow us on Twitter @EaglesInsider.

g0nz0

TRIBE Member
my guess is that Nnamdi goes back to the Bay area, and signs with SF. They play a lot of man coverage and would probably sign for less to go back to an area where he is adored and has roots in the community.

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
The 1 trick pony ( who wanted Fitz type of $$) to the fish as in Mike Wallace, hope he gets eaten by a shark.. Tippy toe useless fuck Mendy maybe to Denver or to the steelers retirement home, Arizona Cardinals.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Mendenhall would be an odd fit for Denver. Peyton benefits from having an RB who can catch passes out of the backfield.

Zorro

TRIBE Member
Welker to Denver? Good move for both Welker and Manning.

I am thinking there is a stick it to Bill motive.

SJN

TRIBE Member
Interesting signing. Demaryius Thomas and Eric Decker are both solid young receivers with big potential - they both started to break out last year. Adding Welker to the mix gives the Broncos the ability to go 3 wide and terrorize defenses.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
Yeah I'm happy he chose to take his talents to the mile high. I don't like the player (I certainly respect him), but this fills a slot gap receiver and will give the other 2 a lot more room to play. They still need a good RB option too bad Bush chose Detroit for money and not Denver for the ring (although has one already)

Musical Rush

TRIBE Member
Mendenhall would be an odd fit for Denver. Peyton benefits from having an RB who can catch passes out of the backfield.
he was a descent catcher I'll give him that..77 career rec, for 661 yards on a team that doesn't really use the RB as a receiver.

he went to the Steelers retirement home for 1 yr deal ,,what a surprise since Bruce Arians is now out there.

SJN

TRIBE Member
amendola is a poor man's welker, i wouldn't say better
I think he could be just as good. He hasn't had the benefit of playing with a QB the caliber of Brady or in a system like NE. It reminds me a lot of when NE got Welker from the Dolphins.