1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

new york trip

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by mr chris, Apr 15, 2010.

1. mr chris

mr chris TRIBE Member

never been where to go? what to see? eats etc?

2. saskboy

saskboy TRIBE Member

Go to Whole Foods on Fourteenth Street and buy some eats.
    Go across the street to Union Square and sit on the steps with the models and watch the world go by.

3. xopus

xopus TRIBE Member

if you like pork, get a sandwhich form Porchetta in the east village (7th st i think). It's like pork heaven.
    get a burger from the Shake Shack.
    If you want to dance, cielo on monday nights is usually pretty solid, or if you're lucky, and there is a blkmarket party happening in brooklyn, check that out.
    stay away from harold square, time square, the financial district, and the upper east side. they all suck.
    Soho and the west village are great to wander around. lots of cool shops and great restaurants and bars (the room, on sullivan st. between prince and houston is probably my favourite bar (wine and beer only) in the city)

thats a good start.

4. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Any interesting events taking place in mid-May? I'm heading to NYC just because I've never been...

5. moose-meat

moose-meat TRIBE Member

6. erika

erika TRIBE Member

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

ps
    paging Deevah.... ;)

8. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I loved Sullivan Room - great great space :)
    The sound at Cielo is great but it's prettier not grittier

9. xopus

xopus TRIBE Member

The Room, and the Sullivan Room are two different spots.
    the place im talking about is a small intimate wine and beer lounge a block south of The Sullivan Room, which is an awesome intimate club.
    both are great, but totally different spots.
    to make things even more confusing, the same street has The Cub Room, and The Soho Room. its a bit ridiculous.

10. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

^ no the sound @ cielo is definitely not gritty. Mighty in SF is gritty. LOVE sounds like the glow of candle but i haven't been back since it changed hands.

blkmarket is choice

there's a pretty extensive NYC thread on here somewhere...i think jesux may have started in. There's already a ton of suggestions from myself and others in there. Maybe someone will helpfully timeline the n00b.

depends on what you want to do - there's so much going on in nyc

basilisk - ping me 1-2 wks before you go and I can be of better help. Stuff not announced yet. Not sure you'll luck into some of the outdoor events i have in mind but you never know. Body & Soul Memorial Day weekend I know of for sure.

Santos in Chinatown has quickly risen in favour...promoted by the same folks that do the FK/LLV residencies @ cielo - Dance.Here.Now & Dance.Here.Too, it's actually got some size with multiple rooms but the main dancefloor is just about the same size that System's was with a club length row of JBLs that line each side. Dark but no sketch under a heart shaped disco ball. Paradise Garage/Shelter vibe on the right nights.

There's a new Sunday aftn party at Bar 13. Quentin Harris played the inaugural gig, there's a rotation of DJs coming through with NYC nightlife visual performance spectacles.

food wise:
    batali's Babbo restaurant is nearly impossible to get into - they only take reservations 30d in advance. You can always call the day of and ask if they have any cancellations or score an early or later sitting for dinner like 9-10pm. Otto is much more accessible and the food is still superb, there's a huge bar area where you can also order from the dining room menu if it's too overwhelmed. Craft with Tom Cor-no-lo-kio-whatever-his-name-is was excellent as well - bonus points for having sweetbreads on the menu. GOOD (the restaurant, not adjective) for brunch - fresh homemade donuts, great pancakes, yummy baked goods.

Kun Jip in k-town for korean fare, 5 napkin for burgers (mmmm...lobster burgers), either of the Columbus Cir or Thompson St of the blue ribbons for japnese (real japn, not McSushi...they do the whole lobster served sushi/sashimi)

just got a new list of top rated restaurants and may try some out next i'm down

The other thread I listed a bunch of bargainista places and there's loads of travel in nyc advice there. The ones above are middlefare (imho)

use hopstop.com to help you get around on the MTA subway

The numbered grid part of NYC is what you see on TV and in movies...you gotta go off-grid to find the real heart of the city

11. xopus

xopus TRIBE Member

another vote for Kunjip.
    I love that place.

deevah, do you live in nyc?

12. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

dumbest thread of the year

13. graham

graham Well-Known TRIBEr

Hai guys I'm gonna be on earth next weekend, anything good to eat or do ?

14. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

imma puerto rican livin' in Brooklyn

15. xopus

xopus TRIBE Member

ah cool. what hood?
    I'm up in Inwood.

16. mr chris

mr chris TRIBE Member

how about a p√Ętisserie in new york?

Patisserie Claude perhaps?

17. erika

erika TRIBE Member

bwahahahahahahaha best laugh of the day!!!! :D

18. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I hear there's this great volcanic ash-coated dish that's all the rage...

19. mushroom

mushroom TRIBE Member

if you want to check out the statue of liberty, take the staten island ferry. its free and it takes you right by the statue.

check out barney's greengrass, 541 Amsterdam Avenue (at 86th Street). its awesome. a 100 year old deli, wicked food. make sure you grab a black and white cookie on the way out.

20. deevah

deevah TRIBE Member

was there this wkend...

qtip plays every fri now @ the Ace Hotel - DJ gig, not live performance. Fun jam although the crowd seems divided into hip black people and awkward white folk.

Cherry blossoms fest May 1st @ Water Taxi Beach

21. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

I've been living in Sugar Hill since February - PM with any questions.

Speakeasy's are awesome fun for pre-drinks: Death and Co. + Please Don't Tell are fun, you need to get used to OpenTable... which means showing up - putting your name on a list and waiting for a call when your table is ready.

Brooklyn is a must - its easy to get to and is just madness on a friday night - Public Assembly + Brooklyn Bowl are awesome. ?uestlove has a residency on Thursday nights - Brooklyn Brewery has great fuckign beer, great fucking food and 10 lanes of bowling.

Santos Party House has the best sound + prices in Manhattan - good parties - going to see the twelves this thursday.

Check out Flashinglights + BasicNYC

Flashinglights does these parties at Dim Sum - Banquet hall in LSE that are kinda like those booty house parties we had in T.O

22. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

Highline is awesome - but crowded, try to go off tourist hours.

Flashinglights does these parties at Dim Sum - Banquet hall in LES that are kinda like those booty house parties we had in T.O - fun fun for a laugh.

Flashing Lights

BASIC NYC

23. green_souljah

green_souljah TRIBE Member

Hey Johnny you reading this thread brother?

You must be in Buffalo by now?

Have a few dozen beers for me

24. EffinHard

EffinHard TRIBE Member

did you happen to park a pathfinder in times square mr. chris.

25. mr chris

mr chris TRIBE Member

damn camping bbq... wonder if canadain tire will take it back now?