• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Yellow Pages book: it went right into the recycling bin.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Why are Yellow Pages even bothering to print these books any more? Rather save the trees in the first place than recycle the 5 pounds of wasted paper.

For the last few years I have seen untouched stacks of these outside apartment buildings in the rain, still shrink wrapped, until people got tired of looking at them and had them carted away.

erika

TRIBE Member
I still keep mine; when I'm looking up something it can be faster if I don't have the computer on.

On the other hand, their online presence is useless: I've actually tried searching for something pretty specific and had to go to Google each time - resistance is futile!

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
Why are Yellow Pages even bothering to print these books any more? Rather save the trees in the first place than recycle the 5 pounds of wasted paper.

For the last few years I have seen untouched stacks of these outside apartment buildings in the rain, still shrink wrapped, until people got tired of looking at them and had them carted away.
i guess not enough pro-active, environmentally-minded people know they can opt out of the yellow pages?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

stryker

TRIBE Member
The building has been using them to wedge the front door open when brining bicycles in and out of the building.

stew :)

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The building has been using them to wedge the front door open when brining bicycles in and out of the building.

stew :)

I wonder what other creative uses there are for them? If I recall, I used one as a weight while doing crunches one time. My Mom used one to press flowers between sheets of parchment paper for some craft project.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

coleridge

TRIBE Member
I have used mine a few times in the past few years because sometimes it's actually easier to find businesses in the book than online.

For example if you google "party supplies toronto" you get a mess of answers varying by how much of an online presence each company has. You don't get a nice definitive list. Go to the yellow pages and you have a quick A-Z of all the companies. Sometimes you just want a list with phone numbers and not have to wade through a web search result.

derek

TRIBE Member
I still keep mine; when I'm looking up something it can be faster if I don't have the computer on.

On the other hand, their online presence is useless: I've actually tried searching for something pretty specific and had to go to Google each time - resistance is futile!
do you place it next to your loom or abacus?

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Shit, I should've kept it for maybe something else. I was using it to sit on outside on my porch for a bit but it went into the blue bin today.

I guess I could've use it to line the table when I'm painting something. Hm.

silver1

TRIBE Member
that myth was busted for 50cal and better but yeah, for regular ammo it's pretty good.
But if I remember correctly the 50cal "worked" because it penetrated through the engine block where they didn't have the 6 layers no?

Can't remember for sure.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
i guess not enough pro-active, environmentally-minded people know they can opt out of the yellow pages?
I just unsubscribed. Before this thread, I had no idea you could stop delivery of these books. Thanks for the heads up.

Sal De Ban

TRIBE Member
it has to be promoted a bit more. perhaps they should circle back, reach out and touch base with their clientele before they exhaust their bandwith.

erika

TRIBE Member
Phone books are very good to teach toddlers how to turn pages (maybe this should be posted in the Mom thread, which, btw, could be turned into a parent thread given the posters more recently).

My daughter gleefully practiced on one, ripping out pages and having a blast.