• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Years Day at Comfort Zone

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
No one here actually made it? Or no one here has recovered enough to post a thread yet....?

This was an all around fabulous experience, and I can totally see how having a quiet night in with friends or house party for new years eve followed by some nice sleep and the zone all day could become a new years tradition.

I had my doubts at first... even thought it was very mild out I still hate waiting in line, and this line wait was detrimented further by a very aggressive homeless person. Then there was the shell shocked greasy look of all the zoners already coming out, and in the bright fresh morning with all the healthy joggers running by I had a moment of doubt, not being sure I wanted to end up that shell shocked and greasy. Of course by the time you end up shell shocked and greasy you're more than happy to be that way, and quite soon I was.

But not immediately: upon immediately entering the club I was totally overwhelmed. I've never seen it that packed before. (Needless to say, I've also never been there new years day before.) Just getting my 2 friends and I to the washroom and then somewhere where we could maybe have space to dance was a daunting task. Finally we had carved out a niche on the dancefloor and where enjoying the spectacle and the music. Oh, music, lovely lovely music, you are always so good at the zone. Do they force a potion for hardness down the DJs throats as they enter that place, like some kind of musical viagara?

As entertaining as the DJs in a different sort of way, was, of course, the clientele. Oh, the outfits, or the lack thereof. My party companions for the eve were two guys, one of which would bitch about the shirtless sweaty men in one ear while the other would drool over the shirtless sweaty men in the other. Hilarity.

It's too bad you had to leave your water behind to go to the upstairs, but it was so nice to have that different space to go to, space with a different vibe, a more moderate temperature, lots of seating and beer, sweet sweet beer.

The delectable creamy centre of the candy coated goodness of hte day was unquestionably an unexpected reconcilation with an important and formerly estranged person, and somehow the zone was a very appropriate setting.

I didn't know how long I'd last, but I was there till 8 pm, due I'm sure to the aging-raver tactic of having a full nights sleep first, but damn, it was sweet--kept my circadian rhythms all going strong, ya know? And it was delightful to not walk out of a club into bright glaring sunlight. And it was delightful to come back home old and new loved ones to my fully stocked fridge o' beer and gin for a relaxing evening after a partyriffic day. Thank you Zone. I couldn't visit you every weekend, but I can and possiby will visit you every new years (you can probably expect me sometime before then though!)

Last edited:

tablist

TRIBE Member
Cool review! :) I was going to go but backed out because of the 40 bucks cover at the door. I wish I went now!

Wave

TRIBE Member
Zone....Oh Zone...How I love thee!!

Comfort Zone followed up a rennaisance year with a kick-ass start to the new one.

Although absolutely rammed all day long, the vibe, energy, enthusiasm, and positivity was so thick you didn't actually mind the crowded atmosphere.

Favourite sets were from Deko-ze (biased, but still the best!); Nathan Barato (who threw down a techno/tech-house set in the midst of the mostly house lineup; and Myka (who I generally haven't cared for much in the past...but was spot-on that day; he really brought the energy level back up in the early evening).

There was much talk leading up to New Years about how Boa would affect the Zone. While most people I have talked to had a good time at Boa in the early morning, reports are that it was dying out before noon and everyone was shifting back over to old faithful. The addiction runs deep. There really is no other place like it.

funky_citrus

TRIBE Member
I heard that the party at the zone got cancelled, and moved to Element bar? Strange, but thats what i heard. Im actually glad I did not go to the zones 24-hour rave-a-thon. Been there, done that. Thats just my oppinion though:p

~Leslie~

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by funky_citrus
I heard that the party at the zone got cancelled, and moved to Element bar? Strange, but thats what i heard. Im actually glad I did not go to the zones 24-hour rave-a-thon. Been there, done that. Thats just my oppinion though:p

~Leslie~
They were giving out flyers for the zone afterparty happening hte night of the 2nd at element, perhaps that's what you're thinking of?

And I say pffft to Boa--you can't even drink there. :D

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
They were giving out flyers for the zone afterparty happening hte night of the 2nd at element, perhaps that's what you're thinking of?
How people attend a CoZo after party is beyond me.

todiefor

TRIBE Promoter
so the zone - normally when I'm wsated enough i go to the zone only to regret it, but this was the best time i've ver had there, and the best crwod i've ever seen there. it was entirely unintentional as was ending up at system at 3:30 in the morning which was a wicked time as well(nice set at both places de-koze). place was packed with happy smiling dancing people who just didn't want to leave. I had to pull myself out at noon because no matter how much fun i'm having i just can't let myself party beyond noon, that said i once said i'd never party after the sun came up either...:cool:

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Skipper
How people attend a CoZo after party is beyond me.
I'm sure there were people who went to a club at 10 or 11 at night on the 31st, then went to the Zone at 7 or 8 or so am on the 1st, then went to the element after party at 8 or 9 pm adn then... god. The thought of it is making me need to sleep.

ethnik

TRIBE Member
people can say what they will about the zone and it's sketchiness....but that place brings out the best in all the dj's who play there. the crowd is always up for it, no matter how they are managing to still be functional. sure, you don't want to be there when the lights are turned on, but who cares? it's all about the quality beats, and with the line-up they have every sunday, you are guaranteed to hear the best every week, on one of the cities best sound systems since they upgraded it.

as a dj, i love playing there. there is just something about the vibe in that place that makes me pick it up a level or 3 on the decks. plus, the sound in that booth is out of this world. it is the one and only venue in which i can hear myself mix properly.

long live the zone

mike

Lysistrata

Well-Known TRIBEr
Plus, the intimacy of it is a huge plus. Ilove being able to see the sweat drip off the DJs nose. In a place like the Guv you can spend all night there and have no clue what the DJ looks like--it could have been a pre-recorded set!

Adn the sketch quality is actually kinda appealing...we all need a little dirt (and I'm talking figuratively, though the Zone has it's fair share of literal dirt) especially if you get shudders from the banal sterility of mall culture.

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ethnik
as a dj, i love playing there. there is just something about the vibe in that place that makes me pick it up a level or 3 on the decks. plus, the sound in that booth is out of this world. it is the one and only venue in which i can hear myself mix properly.

long live the zone

mike
Seing Dominik play house there a few years back was good too.

D-Caf

TRIBE Member
Like Whoa!

Arrival - 7am
Departure - 7pm (wish I'd know it was only going til 8)

Crazy time, just as always. I'll leave it at that.

MrMarcus

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Lysistrata
I'm sure there were people who went to a club at 10 or 11 at night on the 31st, then went to the Zone at 7 or 8 or so am on the 1st, then went to the element after party at 8 or 9 pm adn then... god. The thought of it is making me need to sleep.

and I was one! but instead of Element, I went to the other after-party at Film Lounge. Got there at around 11 and dekoze was already tearing it up. saw him as I was coming out of the washroom after his set, and he was going in...and we kinda laughed at each other and he said "you again???" LOL

Film was suppose to close at 3am...but it went on til 6! crazy marathon!

Last edited:
I was just searching through someone's music files and I realized that on NYE, they played Brainwashed.
My biggest problem that night was the fact that if you weren't near the dj, you really couldn't tell what song was what after awhile. You wanted to dance but you weren't sure really what it was because it was so distorted in the other room.
The place was packed. It was packed since 4 am and it took forever to get anywhere. You would lose a friend for a half hour simply because they had to navigate to the washrooms. It's a small place but really it was rammed.
Everyone was there to party and sweat and boy did you ever. I almost thought at one point, that maybe it would be nice to put on the air conditioning.
The music when you got to the dancefloor was amazing. People were ready to dance the night and the next day away. The atmosphere was hyped and people wanted to ring in the new year hard.
No matter how nicely you dressed or had done your hair, within an hour you were just sweaty and dancing up a storm. The dancefloor was packed and after awhile I escaped back to a table only because it was overcrowded and stiffling near the djs.
I stayed for the music. Some of my friends had never been to the Cozo before, so it was an experience for them. They were surprised by the energy and the great people. People were awesome that night. It was great vibe. There were some great djs too. They really play hard there. People never stop moving and dancing. It's nuts.
Overall, I don't know how people can go for so long. I had to bail at some point due to overload. You really need to be up for a day of music there. It was a wild NYE. I don't know if I would start there again -- maybe stand in line at noon but really -- being there earlier makes it hard to stay until the end.