• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

New Windows command line app

db

TRIBE Member
Oh wow -- so Microsoft came out with something that *nix users have had for like 20+ years already. Now that's bleeding edge... :rolleyes:

seeker

TRIBE Member
oh but Brandon, it's OOP!!!!11! it manipulates objects directly! and it's *like* perl, but not perl, so it must be better than perl, right?

meh

i'll still be using cygwin on my windows box.

db

TRIBE Member
lol...i hate to tell you but anyone who knows an ounce about computing and operating systems knows that this type of functionality is nothing new for all but the purest of Windows users. It's not about being holier than thou -- it's about facts. There's no disputing the fact that what Microsoft is offering in their super duper new command prompt has been available for years in other Unix based operating systems. In a geek forum this tidbit of news is like a tumbleweed blowing through... ;)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Shug

TRIBE Member
Hi Sean. :)

db:

PS - why would I spend years learning *nix when my userbase is 99.99% Windows? I know that I'm not uber-smart supervillians like you guys.... but you ever think that maybe attitude more than functionality is what's keeping fence-sitters like me away from you secret-handshaking geeks?

Last edited:

db

TRIBE Member
lol..attitude -- are you serious? I'd suggest that perhaps you've got other problems if you let the attitudes of people dictate which operating system you should use.

But I digress -- the point in my response to your post originally was merely this: the M$ uber cool command prompt offers nothing new to the computing world and to toot a horn about it is like bragging about re-inventing the wheel IMHO.

BTW: I use a Windows based machine for both development work (at work) and music production and general computing (at home) -- I'd hardly say I fit into the *nix "holier than thou" category... ;)

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
People who use OS's other than Windows have a holier-than-though attitude towards Windows users, because Windows is the worst OS available today (at least in terms of usability, power, depth, stability, etc.).

The only advantage of Windows is that it is everywhere. So is McDonalds.

Who the hell defends Windows as an OS?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Shug

TRIBE Member
How did I know that this would degenerate into a "Windows sucks" thread? And here I thought the Linux jab was much too blantant... I guess I was wrong.

LOLZ OMG U R SO N00B I W1LL T0TALLY PWN YOU AT CS!@

Shug

TRIBE Member
The point I was making in the attitude comment was that you *nix fanboys aren't very welcoming, since all you seem to excel at is compiling kernels or getting some useless and unneeded periph finally installed on your slackware 3.985698 box (dude), posting on slashdot, and making comments about how us non-*nixers are retarded.

If learning Linux means I have to waste that much time "re-inventing the wheel" (ie, making shit go on computers) and copping such a 'tude, then fuck, I'll take my occasional reboot and PSH, thanks. You guys are worse than #linux on EFNet.

db

TRIBE Member
Hey Shug -- seems like you making some broad sweeping generalizations...no one said you were stupid because you use Windows (I use Windows too remember). You actually pointed out yourself that you were the one fueling the OS war by making jabs at Linux users. I've just refuted with facts.

Anyways, enjoy the new shell...

db

TRIBE Member
Well at least you know something about the English language...maybe you should start a new forum...

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Isosceles_CAT said:
People who use OS's other than Windows have a holier-than-though attitude towards Windows users, because Windows is the worst OS available today (at least in terms of usability, power, depth, stability, etc.).
Bullshit.

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
Shug said:
The point I was making in the attitude comment was that you *nix fanboys aren't very welcoming, since all you seem to excel at is compiling kernels or getting some useless and unneeded periph finally installed on your slackware 3.985698 box (dude), posting on slashdot, and making comments about how us non-*nixers are retarded.

If learning Linux means I have to waste that much time "re-inventing the wheel" (ie, making shit go on computers) and copping such a 'tude, then fuck, I'll take my occasional reboot and PSH, thanks. You guys are worse than #linux on EFNet.
I'm glad you have a very current understanding of Linux useability and make well thought out and balanced statements regarding said useability. I really hate those holier-than-thou Unix and Linux guys that make brash, generalized, and misinformed statements about Windows, and I'm really glad no Windows users exist that behave that way.

Shug

TRIBE Member
My sweeping generalization is a symptom of a "chicken or the egg" problem, isn't it? I'm speaking from precedent with direct contact with *nix kids, both online and through meatbag communication.

Sean, as ever, has always been the exception to that rule. I have the ubuntu boot CD, given by a holier-than-thou linux kid at my last job... because Sean seems to understand the point I was making (or is at least humouring me in a Taoist "bend like a reed in the wind" manner), I'll pop it in tonight and report back.

Let's hope I don't suddenly have the urge to shave my head, grow a goatee and start fiddling non-stop with my computer, wasting time doing useless shit to make it work (and hitting irc channels talking about how leet I am), instead of actually being productive. It's been my experience that there's a huge chunk of *nix kids that complicate the problem with analysis-paralysis and wasting more time trying to solve the problem in the most "efficient and elegant" manner, than actually solving the problem.

seeker

TRIBE Member
I totally see the point Shug is making. the *nix climate has changed significantly from '98 or so when I started using linux. at that time, *nix people seemed genuinely interested in growing the community, and help n00bs out. now, OTOH, things seem more focussed on being '1337', and making statements like "what? you don't know how to recompile your kernel to include the ATI drivers? lol omgwtf!!1! RTFM, n00b!" (admittedly, i have done this in the past, and my shame is as great as my knowledge is small)

that being said, i've encountered the same sentiments from windows 'experts' when i've sought help with problems.

meh, geeks are bad for being 'too big for their britches'.

Hypnotoad

TRIBE Member
I dunno, I have been using unix since '97 and I have ran into both the alpha-geek wannabe, but I have met and worked with a lot more of the guys that are into it to learn, explore and help out others. I am generally nice to new users, but I have gotten annoyed when the same people don't actually learn.

If I help someone and point out that I found an anwser to a question by googling, or reading a man page, is it too much to ask or expect that new person to get the hint and look around before asking. That's part of the idea behind using Linux, learning, finding stuff out, and to just be a leech of information all of the time, that kind of drags down everyone else. So all of you n00bs are just as guilty by not RTFM!!