1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

New vs Used: How you live your life?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by djfear, Jul 24, 2010.

1. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

Random thought here...

How do you live your life?

Are you the type of person that will buy something new, or buy something used? What is your philosophy on the choices that you make? For example... do you prefer to buy used cars or new cars? Furniture off of craig's list, or brand new? New electronics or used? What if it's your hobby or profession (i.e. photography)? Is everything you own covered under warranties, or do you not even know what a warranty is? Is it a time vs money thing too?

Please mention your thought process as to why...

ch33se+baconpan = <3

2. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

FIND used

3. glych t.anomaly

glych t.anomaly TRIBE Member

Clothes i almost always buy new, unless its a superb item, and in good condition.

Tech, 90% new as its rare to find stuff other than audio gear and gaming stuff, that i will invest in when used.

always buy used cars in great condition after thorough research and testing, and getting a mechanic i trust to look them over.

furniture i have bought used when in great condition, and will invest in new when i cant find it used, especially if i want it to match the current decor.

if you can find something used, that was taken care of and it will save you a decent amount of cash, go for it, why not? unless warranties etc are involved and you must have those, then buy new.

[jai]

4. Musical Rush

Musical Rush TRIBE Member

I like to buy new prostitutes... reason why.. less risk of a STD

I like to buy new I don't want somebody's junk or buy something that'll end up smelling like cat pee when I get it in doors. Unless it's a car, fuck all the taxes on new vehicles. Then you have to break in the new motor. Screw that I want to street race right away.

5. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

used all the way, for everything pretty much

6. ScottBentley

ScottBentley TRIBE Member

same...except with most of my clothes.

my family heritage is Scottish, who are notoriously frugal :cool:

7. Dirty Girl

Dirty Girl TRIBE Member

after never being able to afford new stuff of any sort, I am now all about new.
    GIMME NEW EVERYTHING.

8. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

I buy used whenever I can. I purchased all my stereo and photo studio gear used, and it is pro gear that you can service if anything happens to it. My bikes I bought new, but I would have bought used had I been able to find the models I wanted on craigslist at the time.

I buy used CDs, vinyl, and a lot of clothing (except shoes).

Being an old guy, I have seen a steady decrease in the quality of new stuff in general over the years, as compared to vintage stuff. The shoddy quality of today's mass produced clothing is of note: you buy a new shirt and threads stick out everywhere, the buttons fall off in a few weeks, the fabrics look crap after one wash. Good quality vintage, however, lasts and lasts.

The only things I think about buying new these days is computer stuff; stuff like server hard disks.

My old TV is about to be retired, because it is an old tube Toshiba and does not have an HDTV tuner in it. I am cutting off rogers next week and am going to hook up an antenna so I need a TV with a tuner that can cope. I guess I could buy a converter box for the old TV but it is a huge power hog and I think it is time to put it out to pasture of give it to value village.

9. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

i blogged earlier this year on facebook, that I now feel my apartment has achieved a healthy balance between all that stuff I bought new, all that stuff I bought cheap (2nd hand), and all that stuff I found in the trash.
    Case in point, my guest room. Initially I thought I might need this extra room for storage/studio, but alas, there was enough space in my new place that extra-room = guest/rental room.

[​IMG]

for starters, the previous tenants, who apparently were here for less than a year, left behind two queen-size mattresses and box springs, in excellent condition. Basically, they went back to France and couldn't take them with them. Soooo.....

New: - Linen on bed, from linen chest
    -some picture frames

Used - solid wood clothes bureau there, which I bought from my downstairs neighbour as he moved out on July 1st for 30$
    -knicknackeries and some picture frames, which I've scored at yard sales for 1-2$ in general
    - that plant pot cum garbage bin there
    - curtains, 5$ at a yard sale

Garbage - that Ikea table there (in excellent condition), someone tossed half a block up from where I live.
    -bistro chair - some restaurant tossed it because a screw in a back leg was loose. So I grabbed it, removed the stripped screw, and replaced it with a slightly fatter screw and some wood glue. Took around 15 minutes to get it up to code.
    -standing Ikea lamp. One could probably find around 10 of those things on July 1st moving day, if one really tried.
    - desktop lava-lamp thingie. Yeah, that's a real cutie, that thing.
    (not in picture) - 27 inch sanyo tube TV, works great.
    TV stand... neighbour downstairs tossed a rather ugly stand-thingie. I grabbed it, took a palm sander, removed old finish, re-stained it in rustic white. It looks pretty sweet, with free 27 inch TV on top.

Anyhoo... this pretty much defines the rest of my place

10. djfear

djfear TRIBE Member

I imagined that Tribe did embrace the used stuff more.

I originally didn't have much bargain hunting skill and would prefer to buy certain things new (i.e. camera gear), but I'm slowly embracing more and more the whole used aspect of everything, especially when it comes to motor vehicles, be it cars or motorbikes.

I think the only balance one needs to have is the time, where you don't spend too much time on junk, vs spending 15 minutes fixing something broken into its original or even better shape. The money that one makes doesn't define how rich a person is, but how that money is used definitely does extend its actual value.

11. ghaleon

ghaleon TRIBE Member

i fuckin love finding free shit

picked out a solid wood dresser in cabbagetown for 10$ at a yard sale 2 weeks ago

12. I_bRAD

I_bRAD TRIBE Member

I found a thermometer today. It's 31C in my kitchen right now. Perfect for making pickles. :)

13. catilyst

catilyst TRIBE Member

Is it that time of the year already? I'm having some fried pickles tonight with dinner.

New vs. Used? I think I always used to have sort of a snobby view of used stuff. OK all the cars I've had were used, mainly becasue the cost of new is out of my reach.

But most other things (from stereo equipment, to furniture, vinyl, clothes, kitchen stuff etc.) I'd buy new, and I think a large part of that is simply because I could afford to.

I have recently gotten back into starting and maintaining aquariums, and it has sort of changed the way I view New vs Used.

I've been buying lots of used equipment, and in some cases selling it for exactly what I originally paid for it.

My current cellphone has died - I think I'll be looking into a used one.

14. Snuffy

Snuffy TRIBE Member

I used to buy a lot of used clothing when I was younger, but the good stuff nowadays is picked out very quickly. If I do find some very nice used clothing, chances are it's more expensive than buying new. Also, it's harder to pull off vintage as I get older.

I do buy a lot of refurbished electronics from places like Factory Direct and Tiger Direct. Winners is great for kitchen stuff but the clothes never fit me. I prefer buying used CDs to new ones.

I'd love to decorate my place like one of those retro stores on King Street but that's a little expensive so thus my place looks like an IKEA catalogue.

15. octo

octo TRIBE Member

i bought an ATSC tuner box at Canada Computers for like $80.

16. kirstenmeows

kirstenmeows TRIBE Member

My first apartment was completely furnished with second (and sometimes third or fourth)hand furniture. These days with the prevalence of bed bugs (ICK!) I'm a bit leery of bringing in anything upholstered second hand.

I still peruse the free stuff category on Craigslist regularly. There are certain things that I would like to have but am not willing to buy new, like patio furniture, a barbeque, a bike, or a cell phone. My air conditioner is used, works like a charm, and it was free.

At the same time, there are certain things I will not even consider buying used. Used shoes? Yuck. Used bedding? Yuck again.

I'd rather see things get reused than end up in a landfill. If something still has life to it but I don't need it, I'll try to sell it if it's worth it, or give it away.

17. Hi i'm God

Hi i'm God TRIBE Member

Everything I own is custom made just for me. Cash money yo!

18. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

dresser

Love It!

19. R4V4G3D_SKU11S

R4V4G3D_SKU11S TRIBE Member

I'm all over the map.

20. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

I wish we purchased more gently used, but I'm all about convenience and get frustrated (and distracted) quite easily when searching online.

So, new... because it's convenient.

21. diablo

diablo TRIBE Member

Kind of the same.

Most of my used stuff tends to be from people that I know, as opposed to buying off of Craigslist or whatever.

Clothes: all new (too many unknowns with used stuff, even after a wash)

Cars: one of each so far

Tech: new phones/MP3/DVD player, used TV/PS2 (no real rhyme or reason apart from saving money on big purchases, but wanting certain gadgets to be reliable)

Media: mostly new CDs, mostly used vinyl (not much of either these days, though)

Books: mostly used (cheaper)

Furniture: bought new when I moved out on my own and will likely continue to do so (harder to find exactly what you want if it's not new/custom)

22. vinder

vinder TRIBE Member

clothes / furniture - new always
    cars - used so far
    electronics - new mostly, but would be willing to buy higher quality used gear

i'd prefer to buy things on sale rather than used, i love bargain hunting.

23. mudbunny

mudbunny TRIBE Member

I try to buy everything new. I get an uneasy feeling with items once owned and used by others. I once purchased a used car and it was nothing but trouble. It was a lemon and I felt totally hoodwinked by the previous owner.

I've rented apartments over the years and I never felt "at home". I guess I just won't be comfortable until I own a place.

24. Polymorph

Polymorph TRIBE Member

30$ from neighbour downstairs
    Also bought another IKEA bureau-thing for 30$ from the guy (it's in my room)

25. Pottsie

Pottsie TRIBE Member

I mix it up a bit:
    Electronics - almost always new, because you just never know. If I buy used, I test thoroughly before buying.
    Clothing - always new (unless a friend gives something to me) - I'm just kinda wierded out by used clothing.
    Car - used. New cars are just a waste of money IMO
    Furniture - I will buy either new or used here, but not things like mattresses or sofa's.
    I never buy extended warranties - someone I trust told me that they are not worth the cost and are a cash grab for the manufacturers.